Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Am I wasting my time?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:50 pm
I have a great job in terms of convenience. No stress and I'm not tied down to specific hours. I have 3 young children and I work around their schedules. Con- there is no room for growth, and it pays$30/hr so I have a hard time seeing myself doing this in 10 years from now. Should I feel like I'm wasting my time? My husband works a very full day so no help with my children and it wld be difficult to focus on s/t more promising...

amother
Tanzanite

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:56 pm
I don’t think you’re wasting your time. You’re helping support your family. When the kids are grown you can grow your career.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:59 pm
OP, I feel the same as you. In a similar situation. However, I find I feel better when I have a job, something other than just my family/kids. It's definitely something to consider.

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 1:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have a great job in terms of convenience. No stress and I'm not tied down to specific hours. I have 3 young children and I work around their schedules. Con- there is no room for growth, and it pays$30/hr so I have a hard time seeing myself doing this in 10 years from now. Should I feel like I'm wasting my time? My husband works a very full day so no help with my children and it wld be difficult to focus on s/t more promising...

I am in a similar situation to you. I make 55k for a 9-4 job with no room for growth. Its a full day but I am totally off on Friday and if I ever have to leave early come late bring a kid along etc its never a problem. I have my own office here so I constantly brought kids when they were stuck on zoon this past year. Its a super nice enviroment and no stress. Sometimes its a little depressing to think about the future but for the time being it really does make perfect sense to focus on family other than career and yes I can probably make more somewhere else but the no stress here is really priceless.

thepickled

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 1:16 pm
If it brings you happiness to contribute to your household in this way, and you are fulfilling your personal goals by being available to your family with time and mental space, that’s awesome. Nothing wrong with that. You are not “wasting your time.”

If you ever want to (or will need to) contribute more financially or do something that feels more personally meaningful, now would be the time to start pursuing that. It’s not going to just come your way. If you are already dissatisfied or see yourself becoming more so in a few years, start creating an escape plan. That could mean going to school at night, starting at entry or near entry level in a different field, or starting your own business after work hours. Or even stopping to work and exploring something else full time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics