Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Shalva and Yotzer Ohr

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:44 pm
How do these two girls schools compare and contrast in regards to the students and the way the schools are run.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 2:34 pm
I don’t think they’re for the same kind of girl.

amother
Grape

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 2:37 pm
From what I understand, Shalva girls may have more serious issues like drug use or boys. YO is more for girls who just don’t fit into the classic lakewood school system.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 2:45 pm
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
From what I understand, Shalva girls may have more serious issues like drug use or boys. YO is more for girls who just don’t fit into the classic lakewood school system.

TY! I know Bnos Bais Yaakov is a more "accepting" BY for Lakewood standards. How would say YO compare to that. What seminaries are the girls going to after YO?

amother
Grape

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 3:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
TY! I know Bnos Bais Yaakov is a more "accepting" BY for Lakewood standards. How would say YO compare to that. What seminaries are the girls going to after YO?

They may have a little overlap actually but BBY is still “mainstream”, as in it’s a regular school with full classes, regular schedule and a large range of students. YO is much smaller and I think newer. I’m sorry, I don’t know about seminaries. Both schools have a very warm staff.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 3:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Is YO around long enough to have seminary graduates? I think it's pretty new.

BBY has seminary graduates attending all seminaries. I know girls who graduated BBY and went to BJJ, Bnos Chava, Bnos Sarah, Rinas BY, etc...across the spectrum.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 2:22 pm
Bumping this up to get more information about yotzer ohr.

What do you mean by girls not fitting into other lakewood schools, because of frumkeit, or being more out of the box, or smth else?
Or for mainstream lakewood girls who didn’t have enough pull to get into a school?

Thanks!!

cnc

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 2:41 pm
The couple of girls that I know at YO are not religious. From the way the students described it to me , it seems similar to BCA- Rabbi Wallerstein’s school.

YaelGR

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 1:14 pm
I do not usually post on sites but I am a mother (Imamother) of Yotzer Ohr student and some of the information here is not true. There is a difference between Yotzer Ohr, Shalva and BBY. BBY is a Bais Yaakov with the dress code and rules of Bais Yaakov. Yotzer Ohr is for growing girls who may struggle with their dress and they have phones and are exposed to the outside world but they are growing in frumkeit and in studies.

Most Yotzer Ohr teachers also teach in the mainstream Bais Yaakovs and there is a dress code and strict rules including halacha and Torah hashkafa. Yotzer has two graduating classes already and their graduates go to seminaries like Sharfmans and Baer Miriam. They have a psychologist and social worker on staff, all kinds of limudei kodesh and limudei chol teachers but also extra curriculars and inspirations experiences.

I do not know much about BCA (Rabbi Wallerstein) or Shalva but my impression is that they are similar and for girls who are not so religious and they deal with drugs and things like that. But I dont really know.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 3:06 pm
YaelGR wrote:
I do not usually post on sites but I am a mother (Imamother) of Yotzer Ohr student and some of the information here is not true. There is a difference between Yotzer Ohr, Shalva and BBY. BBY is a Bais Yaakov with the dress code and rules of Bais Yaakov. Yotzer Ohr is for growing girls who may struggle with their dress and they have phones and are exposed to the outside world but they are growing in frumkeit and in studies.

Most Yotzer Ohr teachers also teach in the mainstream Bais Yaakovs and there is a dress code and strict rules including halacha and Torah hashkafa. Yotzer has two graduating classes already and their graduates go to seminaries like Sharfmans and Baer Miriam. They have a psychologist and social worker on staff, all kinds of limudei kodesh and limudei chol teachers but also extra curriculars and inspirations experiences.

I do not know much about BCA (Rabbi Wallerstein) or Shalva but my impression is that they are similar and for girls who are not so religious and they deal with drugs and things like that. But I dont really know.

You described this really well. My favorite babysitter goes to YO and she’s incredible. She wants to do the right thing but has a lot of questions. She struggles with typical dress codes but doesn’t wear anything very scandalous. She’s an amazing girl with a super bright future

amother
White

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 3:09 pm
Thank you yaelgr

Lots of misinformation here

Shalva is for otd girls. Or girls dealing with more serious issues.

Yotzer ohr is for the girls who need a more chilled, understanding environment but they are holding on. Less structure than mainstream BY. More individual attention. No subject is taboo. Girls are frum.

Bnos Bais Yaakov is no different than Oros, bais kaila, Shiras Devorah….. it’s a mainstream bais Yaakov school whose graduates merge in seminary with graduates from every other bais Yaakov Lakewood school. Lakewood is the only place where the community is 97% similar and we rip each other apart over our 3% differences.

Btw. Don’t have daughters in any of these schools.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries