Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby left alone

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 4:22 pm
I was taking a walk and noticed a baby in a carseat in the driveway next to the car. I thought it odd so I walked close to see if anyone was in the car. No one was in the car, no one outside, front door closed and shades closed.
So I knocked on the door and little children opened and I asked if it was their baby sibling, they nodded and then ran off to get a parent. Father came to the door and said yes it's his baby and when I questioned if he knew his baby was outside alone he responded "I was getting out of the car with all my kids I completely forgot about the baby"

Because he was so shaken I didnt want to make him feel bad further, but he is lucky he even took the carseat out of the van because if the baby was inside the car all that time chas vshalom...
(I know it wasnt just a few minutes)
As it is it's pretty hot outside of a car as well, though there was a nice breeze and the baby looked fine

I know these things can happen to ANYONE
(So my question is genuine, I'm not judging at all)
What can parents do to prevent these types of situations? What devices or tips and tricks do you use?

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 4:24 pm
They make things you can put in your car to remind you. Some people put their shoe near the car seat so that they need to open the baby’s door. Our new van says check the back seats when we turn it off.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 4:42 pm
Put your purse or briefcase next to the baby

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 4:46 pm
I like the idea of leaving things with the baby in terms of remembering to take the baby out. In this case, the baby was taken out but not inside. I don't know of a strategy for that. I'm used to seeing my baby regularly when I'm at my house so I think I would just notice.

Good for you for knocking.

banana123

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 4:47 pm
Put your phone in the baby's car seat.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 5:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was taking a walk and noticed a baby in a carseat in the driveway next to the car. I thought it odd so I walked close to see if anyone was in the car. No one was in the car, no one outside, front door closed and shades closed.
So I knocked on the door and little children opened and I asked if it was their baby sibling, they nodded and then ran off to get a parent. Father came to the door and said yes it's his baby and when I questioned if he knew his baby was outside alone he responded "I was getting out of the car with all my kids I completely forgot about the baby"

Because he was so shaken I didnt want to make him feel bad further, but he is lucky he even took the carseat out of the van because if the baby was inside the car all that time chas vshalom...
(I know it wasnt just a few minutes)
As it is it's pretty hot outside of a car as well, though there was a nice breeze and the baby looked fine

I know these things can happen to ANYONE
(So my question is genuine, I'm not judging at all)
What can parents do to prevent these types of situations? What devices or tips and tricks do you use?

You are a hero and very possibly saved that baby’s life.

Window

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 5:29 pm
That is so so sad and scary!!
Thank God you stopped what you were doing and went out of your way for that child!!

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 5:33 pm
My car seat comes with a system that you connect to an app on your phone and it warns you if you leave the car without the car seat. (Also can add backup contacts that they will contact if you don’t get the baby within a few minutes.)

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 6:17 pm
This is so interesting so soon after the other baby in car thread. Very very scary. We can never be cautious enough!

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 6:29 pm
The Hero of the Year! Bounce Not worthy Cheers Heart Applause Thumbs Up

amf

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:05 pm
amother [ Snow ] wrote:
My car seat comes with a system that you connect to an app on your phone and it warns you if you leave the car without the car seat. (Also can add backup contacts that they will contact if you don’t get the baby within a few minutes.)

What car seat/system is it?

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:22 pm
amf wrote:
What car seat/system is it?

Cybex sensor safe

amother
Apple

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:28 pm
Well I’m on Imamother so I would say the solution is BC.

Ready for the tomatoes. 🤣

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:33 pm
Thank you for the suggestions so far!
Please keep them coming

This is unfortunately not the first time I've saved a baby left unattended.
This is the first time though that the parent seemed shaken and thanked me

amother
Offwhite

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:02 pm
There’s an option for a button to be installed in the car that as soon as the back door is open for a few seconds (to put a baby inside), it sets off the system to beep after the car is turned off, having to press the button in the back seat or else the horn starts blearing.
It’s sold at CSO radio in Lakewoo- though it’s pricey-$250, it’s worth it to save a potential tragedy....
When I make my first million, I wld want to sponsor them for free for everyone:)
Or maybe lobby to have it as a mandatory auto safety feature Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:07 pm
amother [ Offwhite ] wrote:
There’s an option for a button to be installed in the car that as soon as the back door is open for a few seconds (to put a baby inside), it sets off the system to beep after the car is turned off, having to press the button in the back seat or else the horn starts blearing.
It’s sold at CSO radio in Lakewoo- though it’s pricey-$250, it’s worth it to save a potential tragedy....
When I make my first million, I wld want to sponsor them for free for everyone:)
Or maybe lobby to have it as a mandatory auto safety feature Very Happy

Thank you, good to know. BH having a baby after a few years of waiting, and I'd b worried that me or my husband would forget the baby as we are so used to just being the 2 of us

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:20 pm
On the topic of child/car safety, please leave your cars locked during the summer months, so that children don’t G-d forbid go inside to play and get stuck inside.
OP. you are a true hero.

amother
Topaz

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:36 pm
Cleverelly.com

It plugs into your car charger and when you shut off your car a voice reminds you to check the backseat. The wording and voice changes each time so it doesn’t become a routine noise. By now I’ve trained myself to turn around and look in my backseat every time I hear the reminder.

amother
Tomato

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:39 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
Well I’m on Imamother so I would say the solution is BC.

Ready for the tomatoes. 🤣

BC is probably a good idea if you leave your baby on the street. Ready for tomatoes too.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:12 pm
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:
BC is probably a good idea if you leave your baby on the street. Ready for tomatoes too.

Did you realize that your amother name is "tomato"? 🍅 LOL

I mean, what are the odds of that happening? A million to one!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics