Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Developmental pediatrician for autism NY NJ ,ASAP , ideas?
Previous  1  2

amother
Lightgray

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 6:45 pm
Some of the big names in Bergen County are Dr Lisa Nalven, Dr Hugh Bases, Dr Eileen Dolan.

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:00 pm
Good luck OP- both with this and the rest of this journey- it can be an incredible one!

(And the rest of you guys- stop this black and white thinking- Autism is a spectrum, each child presents differently besides for which- each child has a different personality as we all do! And besides for which- each mom has a different personality and will be able to utilize a different approach. Besides for which, Each family has different dynamics. Besides for which it is a long journey with many stops- what works for you now may not be what you want to pursue later and that’s ok.
I personally saw beautiful results from floor time - but I know that my journey is far from over and who knows where it will take me next)

We are all mama bears trying our best for these kiddos

amother
Yarrow

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:01 pm
amother [ Clematis ] wrote:
Just because it "works" doesn't mean it isn't abusive, harmful, neglectful, forces children to ignore their thoughts and feelings.

I mean letting your baby cry for 7 hours also makes the baby stop crying. So in a way letting your baby cry for hours on end "works" to fix the problem of your crying baby, by teaching them no one cares and no one will come.

ABA is just like that.

Are autistic people worth less than babies?

Yes what u are thinking of as aba is abuse 100%. But some agencies and bcbas have adapted and the “aba” that they provide is more like teaching social skills, gently cueing in the child to his environment, and adapting of the mainstream environment so the child can function. There are some fantastic bcbas providing these services under the aba umbrella. My child is benefiting tremendously!!! I am a gentle parent and still decided that this was what my child needed, and Bh it’s working out.

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:08 pm
amother [ Yarrow ] wrote:
Yes what u are thinking of as aba is abuse 100%. But some agencies and bcbas have adapted and the “aba” that they provide is more like teaching social skills, gently cueing in the child to his environment, and adapting of the mainstream environment so the child can function. There are some fantastic bcbas providing these services under the aba umbrella. My child is benefiting tremendously!!! I am a gentle parent and still decided that this was what my child needed, and Bh it’s working out.

This! And my son's ABA therapist was a licensed Psychologist which in my opinion made a difference. She was very qualified.The sessions made a huge difference.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:17 pm
Without ABA, my child would have starved to death. Or, I guess, we could have given him surgery and implanted a feeding tube in his stomach.

Without ABA, my child would never have been toilet trained. I guess we could have accepted diapers for the rest of his life as part of his "unique" abilities.

Without ABA, my child would never have learned to brush his teeth and tie his shoes.

Without ABA, my child would never have learned how to sit in a classroom, work towards a goal, and accomplish his goal.

Without ABA, my child would never have learned how to tell him what hurts. We had to do some seriously creative drills to help him figure out how to explain a feeling.

Whoever you are, Amother Clementis, I'm happy you have grown into a functional adult. My son will never be able to post on Imamother, but he can feed himself, dress himself, toilet himself, read and write, and tell me what hurts with his limited vocabulary.

None of his abilities or limitations were apparent at 2, we had no idea how he would grow up. No one does. But I'm grateful that we gave him as much ABA as possible when he was young, and I think every child deserves the best start in life to help them function in the world.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics