Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Mopping help

blueberry6

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:54 pm
Okay, I need help. I think I must be doing something wrong when I mop my floor because it just never comes out right and it's a huge pain in the neck... I know this may sound a little dumb, but can somebody walk me through the mopping process? Like step by step? Pretend I'm dumb and know nothing lol

yiddishmom

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 1:22 pm
Do you use an American "hairy" mop, or shmatta on a stick?

blueberry6

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 1:29 pm
Regular mop. I actually just got a new one because my old one was shedding pieces all the time - it's the o cedar one with the removable head

Fabulous

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 1:33 pm
First sweep and make sure floor is clean if any dirt or debris. Then add cleaning product like mr clean and water (proportions are on bottle). Then stick mop in and squeeze excess water out. Then mop with heavy arm use to get out the dirt and grime. Start from one end of the room and work your way out to an area that you can leave from or stay in so that you don’t make the floor dirty again until it dries

naomi2

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 1:39 pm
First pick up anything on the floor and sweep your floors with a broom well.

I was going to recommend the ocedar mop with the wringer bucket but you have it so that's a great start.
Put the cleaning fluid into the bucket ( my bottle suggests 1/4 cup). Fill the bucket with hot water to the 'fill' line. Dip the mop into the water and wring it out. Start at the end of the room so you don't get stuck walking over the part you just did. Move chairs or small furniture if you can't reach. Move your mop back and forth over all the floors with special effort in the corners and on sticky spots. For each room or half room depending on the size, Dip your mop into the bucket and wring it out again before starting a new section of floor. Move your bucket out of the way behind you before starting a new section. When you are done Dip and wring one more time and put your mop outside upside down to dry and pour your dirty water down the toilet.
That's how I mop.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 1:58 pm
The best way to mop is with a steam cleaner.

I used to mop but the floor was never quite clean. I tried all kinds from wringers to Swifter wet jet types. The only way my floor was ever really clean was if I got down in my knees and scrubbed with a brush and then followed up with a rag to rinse it.

The steam mop was a life changer.

MySpace

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 3:27 pm
I dont use the hairy mop I use this https://www.target.com/p/bona-.....01324
I go over each area twice once with a loosely wrung out pad that loosens the stuck on dirt this is the "wash" and then I dip it in the soapy water again and wring it out very well and go over the area again this absorbs any dirty water that was left over- "rinse".

It takes lots of energy I joke that this is counted as one of my workouts. If you just move the mop back and forth without the elbow grease not much will happen

My kids are all young so the floor takes quite a beating here.

blueberry6

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:01 pm
Thanks everyone!
The basic method outlined is pretty much what I already do, but somehow my floor never seems clean enough. Oh well. Hopefully the new mop will help, or maybe I just need more elbow grease? I have a very messy toddler who just gets messier every day, so it might be hopeless to an extent.
Thank you for everyone who took the time to respond!

yaye

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:56 pm
I end up going over the floor twice with the mop. Also I don’t rinse the mop in the bucket I rinse it in the sink and then dip in the bucket for more detergent. (That way the dirt from the floor doesn’t go into the bucket.) I then go over the floor with plain water because I find the app makes the floor attract new dirt. (2x with soap once with plain water)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 10:54 pm
It also matters what type of floor you have.
The ones that you don't want much water I mop totally differently.
We have a steam mop but funny always use it as it's not good on all flooring.
Hardwood we lightly go over with microfiber mop and every so often use ACV with rags.
Laminate gets squirts of method hard floor cleaner and microfiber mop and a lot of elbow grease.
Tiles we use steam mop on no problem...

SwissAlps

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 3:14 am
I use the swiffer mop because I find it easier to use the disposable pads and it cleans pretty well. Honestly, I find mopping to be a total workout and always joke to my husband that it shouldn't be a stereotypical woman's job. If I skip a week of mopping because I have no time I ask my husband to do it.

Btw, no matter how well I sweep, I always have dirt that piles up from mopping and I have to sweep again after. Any tips to get rid of this?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics