Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Destroying the house
Previous  1  2  3

Shuly

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 7:00 am
It's totally normal but not all toddlers do it. My current toddler is a climber so I can't even keep things out of his reach and he literally destroys the house whenever he is not eating or sleeping. I will admit to feeding him a lot just so I can cook or do some laundry!

I had others who were the same but somehow I also had two kids who didn't do this. So every time a kid turns two I have to brace myself to see how this one will turn out.

freilich

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 8:28 am
Its totally normal, however you don't have to be passive about it. There are things you can do, and kids need to be taught. However, negative attention is still attention, and kids thrive on any interaction they can get. So try to keep your cool when things happen, and ignore as much as you can.

As for teaching them, tell them in a very neutral non emotional voice, to stop, or to put it back, or whatever.

As for the times you feed the baby, try to occupy them near you. Maybe tell them a story, sing silly songs, anything to keep them next to you. They might not even be interested at first, but with time they will come to enjoy these special mommy moments!

In the meantime, drink lots of wine, eat chocolate, and pray that you will survive this stage with your sanity intact!

Good luck!

amother
Butterscotch

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 8:57 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
A three year old dumping baskets of clothing might be somewhat normal, but at this age they do know better. They might not always have the self control not to do it, but it should certainly not be a dayly occurence. Healthy toddlers will often be wild and mischevious, thats normal. But destructive behaviour should get a consequence. You can teach them what is absolutely not ok (throwing soggy cereal, breaking laptops ,throwing clean laundry), and the regular wild behaviour you just let them be until they grow out of it.

In my humble opinion, having less "no" objects and activities and more "yes" opportunities goes a long way.
Otherwise, you are constantly engaging in a tug of war with little children who just want your love.
They shouldn't have access to laptops, period.
Throwing soggy cleanup and making them clean it up is a learning experience.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 10:20 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I have a friend who's 14 month old absolutely knows right from wrong!

She'll go to something she's not supposed to do, like pull seforim off of the book shelf. Then she'll make sure you're looking, and give you this HUGE grin, with the most devilish gleam in her eyes.

If you tell her "Leah, no no no!" She'll say "no-no", and pull the seforim out.

Don't tell me little kids don't know what they're doing!

They know what they're doing, for sure, but don't necessarily have self-control to stop themselves at that age.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics