Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Fruit soup recipe

twolilgirlies

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 6:45 pm
I have very ripe peaches, nectarines and plums in my fridge. I'm looking for a fruit soup recipe for the. (don't want it to include wine...)

I also have cans of sweet cherries if I can add that...

TIA!

familyfirst

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 7:25 pm
Just made this. I used peaches, plums, apricots and strawberries. Later added canned cherries.
Delish!

Cut fruit into small pieces. (Leave cherries for later).
Cover with water.add sugar and vanilla to taste. Boil. Lower flame to low- medium. Cook for about one hour.
Turn off flame. Blend with hand blender if you like puréed (I puréed and left some pieces for chunks.

Add canned cherries with juice. Fire off. Let sit and cool a little.

In bowl, whisk together 2 eggs. Slowly pour some soup (from a cup) into eggs. Whisk really well so no lumps.
Pour egg mix into soup. (Heat from soup will kill bacteria).

Cool. Freezes very well!

naomi2

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 7:40 pm
Cut up your fruit. add the can of cherries with or without the juice. Add water however watery you like it. Add a dash if cinnamon if you like. Boil, cool enjoy.

twolilgirlies

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:45 pm
familyfirst wrote:
Just made this. I used peaches, plums, apricots and strawberries. Later added canned cherries.
Delish!

Cut fruit into small pieces. (Leave cherries for later).
Cover with water.add sugar and vanilla to taste. Boil. Lower flame to low- medium. Cook for about one hour.
Turn off flame. Blend with hand blender if you like puréed (I puréed and left some pieces for chunks.

Add canned cherries with juice. Fire off. Let sit and cool a little.

In bowl, whisk together 2 eggs. Slowly pour some soup (from a cup) into eggs. Whisk really well so no lumps.
Pour egg mix into soup. (Heat from soup will kill bacteria).

Cool. Freezes very well!

sounds yum! do you return to boil after you put in the egg mixture?

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:58 pm
Make simple Compote, it's the best!

Slice the peaches, nectarines, and plums. Add a bit of water in pot. Cook on medium/ low flame for an hour or two.

Don't add any sugar. The fruits natural sugar will be sweet enough.

The longer you cook, the sweeter it'll be.

You can blend if you prefer pureed, but I keep the pieces.

It's delicious!

iyar

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 9:05 pm
twolilgirlies wrote:
sounds yum! do you return to boil after you put in the egg mixture?

No. Follow the instructions just as familyfirst gave them. The only thing I’d add to her recipe is a cinnamon stick. Yum is right!

familyfirst

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 9:11 pm
No. Do not return to boil. Soup is still hot will kill bacteria.
Eggs make it more creamy. The dairy version would be to add yoghurt.

Soup is delicious!’serve garnished with mint leaves. Can add cinnamon (we didn’t).

smile

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 5:08 am
1 cut apple
1/2 cup juice from pineapple tin + 5 slices pineapple
1/2 cup juice from peach tin + 5 peach halves
1 cup frozen strawberries
6 cup water
3 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla sugar

Boil everything (apart for strawberry) till apples are soft. Then add strawberry and cook another 3min

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 6:00 am
Sorry, familyfirst, but you're wrong. Even if the soup is hot enough to coagulate the eggs--which it isn't, as you're making fruit soup, not fruit egg drop soup-- it's not hot enough to kill the bugs that cause spoilage and food poisoning.

Food must be heated to minimum 165 degrees Fahrenheit to kill bacteria. (See https://www.kdads.ks.gov/docs/.....4ee_2) . Whole egg coagulates at between 144 and 158 degrees Fahrenheit.

If you've been making your soup this way for generations and no one ever got sick, bench gomel.

iyar

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 8:32 am
zaq wrote:
Sorry, familyfirst, but you're wrong. Even if the soup is hot enough to coagulate the eggs--which it isn't, as you're making fruit soup, not fruit egg drop soup-- it's not hot enough to kill the bugs that cause spoilage and food poisoning.

Food must be heated to minimum 165 degrees Fahrenheit to kill bacteria. (See https://www.kdads.ks.gov/docs/.....4ee_2) . Whole egg coagulates at between 144 and 158 degrees Fahrenheit.

If you've been making your soup this way for generations and no one ever got sick, bench gomel.

I'm not sure you're right. Eggs get pasteurized/ salmonella gets killed at 140' - 160' depending whom you ask. The fruit soup liquid was just removed from the stove where it was boiling. Next time I'll use a thermometer to check exact temp but I can tell you- it's hot! If you'd just pour the beaten eggs in and mix you'd get egg drop soup. You use a whisk and beat the eggs hard as you drizzle in the beaten eggs. The combination of whisking fast and the acid in the liquid keep the eggs from curdling. (I've had a drop off cooked egg that I strained out.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics