Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Heirloom Gemstone - Inscribed for gift

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 4:11 am
Hi
I am looking in Jerusalem or surrounding area to purchase an heirloom gemstone (real).
I want it to be inscribed (with letters) and a real precious gem but not be a piece of jewelry to wear. Like something to give as a gift to be kept for sentimental value and passed on even to the next generation.
The inscription can be on the jewel itself or on another metal like silver that is set around it or under it.
Any ideas where I can get this done?
Did anyone do something like this anywhere in the world?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:54 am
Bump

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 2:14 am
Bump
any stores in Jerusalem who sell gems in general or jewelry with a variety of precious gems?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 5:59 am
Can you post a picture of what you are thinking of? I'm having a hard time visualizing it.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 8:17 am
And what do you mean by "heirloom" gemstone. An object isn't born an heirloom--heirloom means it was passed down for generations. For that you'd need to go to an antique dealer or seller of "estate" jewelry.

You do know that engraving on a jewel will reduce its monetary value, right?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 9:42 am
Thanks amother Bronze. I mean at first it will just be a gift but will hopefully become an heirloom in the future when it gets passed on.
I did not know engraving decreases the value.
Thanks.
Maybe then something similar to a necklace pendant where I can order a custom inscribed message on the surrounding gold and silver.
Something like this image (thanks FranticFrummie) except I don't like the particular gem they used for this one (I would prefer something colored, not black or clear/white).

Shabbat Shalom!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 10:02 am
This seems like a better bet for you.

You can inscribe or carve stones, but they have natural fault lines, and the inscription will weaken the stone and make it more likely to crack. Stones that are low on the Mohs scale will be the easiest to carve. Flourite is really pretty, and relatively stable. Stone carving is a disappearing art, though. Most of it is done in India these days. I wouldn't even know where to start looking for a carver in the US or Israel.

By having the inscription on the setting, you have a lot more options. If you have a design in mind, you can even sketch something out and commission to have it made. I suggest you look at some Etsy seller who work in precious metal clay (PMC). See if you like their designs. Send them a private message with a photo of your sketch, and you can work something out with the person who seems to understand your vision the best.

A great thing about working with PMC artists, is that you can be sure that your work will be 100% one of a kind, and it will have "a piece of you" in it because you designed the piece.

https://www.etsy.com/market/ar.....welry
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions