Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Just a vent
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 10:00 pm
To the woman who got my dream home-

It was bad enough that you put in a better offer after ours was already accepted, so the owners went with you even after I sent them the deposit check.. but after taking it away from us, you couldn’t at least have the decency to buy the inspection report from me? To at least allow me to get the money I put into it back for a house that would never be mine? You had to buy it anyways. You had to pay the same price I did. Then when you pushed back, I offered it to you at a lower price than I paid, just so I could at least get something. But not only didn’t you do that, you didn’t even have the decency to respond to me..

I’m so disappointed, especially that a jew could do this to another jew. I really thought people were better than that..

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 10:03 pm
It's so sad that adults behave this way.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 10:34 pm
That sounds awful, I'm so sorry!
I hope you find another perfect home for your family and the process should go smoothly!

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 10:49 pm
I’m so sorry to hear this happened to you. It’s heartbreaking.

amother
Oldlace

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 11:48 pm
I really feel for you, especially since I’ve had similar situations to yours. What keeps me going is knowing HaShem has a plan for every one of us and will give me the house thats right for me at the right time. I just said a tefila for you that you should find a house easily!!!

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 11:53 pm
This is on the seller, not the buyer.

The seller is supposed to compensate you if they made you have any losses.
The seller is the one that is not allowed to listen to new offers once they've already accepted.

The buyer would want to do their own inspection, so it would not make sense for them to just buy off someone else's.
When we did our inspection I wanted to be on site so I could see anything I need to know, and get my questions answered.

They might not even know the reason why you lost the house, and think you backed out or something.

This is all on the seller.

Sorry you went through this, it is really upsetting.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 2:52 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
This is on the seller, not the buyer.

The seller is supposed to compensate you if they made you have any losses.
The seller is the one that is not allowed to listen to new offers once they've already accepted.

The buyer would want to do their own inspection, so it would not make sense for them to just buy off someone else's.
When we did our inspection I wanted to be on site so I could see anything I need to know, and get my questions answered.

They might not even know the reason why you lost the house, and think you backed out or something.

This is all on the seller.

Sorry you went through this, it is really upsetting.

Obviously the sellers were not nice people and didnt treat us properly. They dont have an obligation to reimburse our inspection costs though..

And the new buyers are also responsible for this situation. They knew that the sellers had an accepted offer and were going to contract. They decided to beat our offer and it worked. I know for a fact that they knew it was going to contract already and that we didnt just back out before they made their offer.

And when she reached out to the inspector, who had done it a week earlier for me, he gave her my number so she could buy it off of me. There was no issue with her getting the report from me, it was literally a few days old. She didnt need to be there and she had the inspector to call with any questions. She was fine getting the report from me originally, if I gave it for free or for a fraction of what I paid. All I wanted was my money back, and it was the least she could do after what she did.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 2:55 pm
Is going to a Din Torah an option?

Lita

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 4:39 pm
So sorry that happened to you OP.

Cheiny

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 4:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
To the woman who got my dream home-

It was bad enough that you put in a better offer after ours was already accepted, so the owners went with you even after I sent them the deposit check.. but after taking it away from us, you couldn’t at least have the decency to buy the inspection report from me? To at least allow me to get the money I put into it back for a house that would never be mine? You had to buy it anyways. You had to pay the same price I did. Then when you pushed back, I offered it to you at a lower price than I paid, just so I could at least get something. But not only didn’t you do that, you didn’t even have the decency to respond to me..

I’m so disappointed, especially that a jew could do this to another jew. I really thought people were better than that..

This is a terrible trend going on with housing in frum neighborhoods. The rabbonim really should address it and make it forbidden to outbid someone after the bid is accepted. Don’t worry, G-d saw what happened. You may not see the justice in this world but that person will have to answer for what they did. Take comfort in the fact that if that house had been meant for you, you would’ve gotten it, and as far as the money you’re out, Hashem decides on Rosh Hashana how much each person will have.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 4:52 pm
OP, I understand just how you feel. We had a similar situation a couple of years ago when we were buying a house. We had already signed our contract and it was being messengered over to the sellers lawyer when we got a message from their lawyer saying they decided not to sell! I felt so used and angry that they wasted our time and money only to play games with us. Our real estate attorney and our lawyer had both been in the business for s really long time and said they had never ever seen such s situation like this before, it was unheard of. But unfortunately there was nothing we could do since the seller had not yet signed the contract. So I understand what you're going through and feeling.
But I want to add that in retrospect it was hashgacha that we lost that house. The house we ended up with is so much better suited to our needs, is nice, and in a much much better location. Every time I think about it I'm so happy now that it fell through.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 5:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Obviously the sellers were not nice people and didnt treat us properly. They dont have an obligation to reimburse our inspection costs though..

And the new buyers are also responsible for this situation. They knew that the sellers had an accepted offer and were going to contract. They decided to beat our offer and it worked. I know for a fact that they knew it was going to contract already and that we didnt just back out before they made their offer.

And when she reached out to the inspector, who had done it a week earlier for me, he gave her my number so she could buy it off of me. There was no issue with her getting the report from me, it was literally a few days old. She didnt need to be there and she had the inspector to call with any questions. She was fine getting the report from me originally, if I gave it for free or for a fraction of what I paid. All I wanted was my money back, and it was the least she could do after what she did.

It is still on seller to reimburse you.
They backed out on you.

I am not sure it's worth the money- an inspection is about $500, but you can probably get them to pay you back through Din Torah.

You can be mad at the buyers for counteroffering- but it is still on the seller.
They were trying their luck. It isn't ethical in real estate for a seller to listen to a higher bidder when bidding is already closed.

You could have probably taken legal steps at that point if you would have already been in contact with each others lawyers.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Brickred

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 5:29 pm
What they have done might actually be Asur. While it’s legal, Halacha does not follow American law. Ask a rav, if you need a recommendation in Lakewood I can give you one.

amother
Daffodil

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 5:34 pm
If you gave a deposit then how was your seller able to break the contract?

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 5:36 pm
amother [ Brickred ] wrote:
What they have done might actually be Asur. While it’s legal, Halacha does not follow American law. Ask a rav, if you need a recommendation in Lakewood I can give you one.

I am sure she doesnt eat cholov stam
She might not even have a lace top

ISNT THAT ENOUGH Banging head

wifee

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 5:48 pm
OP how is that even legal?! Is this a thing people commonly do where you live? I've never heard of something like that happening!

IsraeliSoul

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 6:20 pm
wifee wrote:
OP how is that even legal?! Is this a thing people commonly do where you live? I've never heard of something like that happening!

Same. This seems so outrageous I didn’t know this happens

CPenzias

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 6:31 pm
Watch, there's going to be a storm and her roof will fly off or something. Karma is going to happen

tweety1

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 6:33 pm
Op, what keeps me going in such situations is thinking every dog has its day. What goes around comes around. I've seen it so many times. In a negative and positive way.

amother
Narcissus

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 8:04 pm
OP Hashem should bentch you with the right house way better than you can imagine.
We actually once were looking into a house and the seller told us that he has an offer that he accepted but not signed and if we offer 10k more he’ll give it to us. We asked a Rov and got a clear answer that it’s against Halacha even though it wasn’t signed yet. I was so devastated but BH we ended up with something much better a year later.
Hashem will take care of you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating