Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Blue eyeshadow?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 8:03 pm
Is there anything wrong with wearing blue eyeshadow??

I work in 2 schools. In the high school, I had more than one student comment on my blue eye shadow.
My other job is in a preschool. So I asked staff there (my age {40ish} and some girls around 20) if anything is wrong with blue eye shadow and no one seemed to think so....

Maybe it's a cultural thing because one place is ashkenaz mainly and the other sefardi?? I donno... I don't want to by unfashionable. LOL. I am so not into make up but wear a little bit but I don't want it to stand out toooo much! and it isn't like it was a dark blue.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 8:06 pm
It’s out of style. I see a lot more neutral tones like browns and beige.

Sandrine

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 4:53 am
I think it depends on how you wear it. What’s considered fashionable at the moment is to have a small strip of intense colour close to the eyelashes but then blended in just above so it doesn’t look like a harsh line.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 1:53 pm
As long as it's applied and blended well.... No issue.

Some due see a tzniyus issue with it. But fashion wise? Who cares about what's in style. You do you.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 4:48 pm
I can't remember the exact source, but somewhere in the Gemara it's mentioned that the Egyptian women wore blue eyeshadow as a way of attracting attention when they walking in the streets. It was the equivalent of wearing a bright red dress. It was also used by "ladies of the evening" as a form of advertisement.

We don't live in Egypt or Victorian England, but in many circles the attitude still holds. Then there are those who just think it looks tacky, and should have been left behind in the 70's, along with disco and gold lamé .

DrMom

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 4:53 pm
I never understood the concept behind blue eyeshadow.

Adding rosy color to your lips or cheeks makes you look healthier, more youthful.

What does making your eyelids blue do? Who came up with that idea?

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 5:00 pm
DrMom wrote:

Adding rosy color to your lips or cheeks makes you look healthier, more youthful.

Egyptians. They were the first to grind up lapis lazuli or malachite powder and mix it with oils. Because it was made with precious stones it was considered a sign of high status that you could afford it.

https://edition.cnn.com/style/......html

SuperWify

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 6:01 pm
I remember learning in Navi that women where considered not tznius for wearing blue eyeshadow.

Personally, I wear.

little neshamala

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 9:48 pm
I wear blue eyeshadow. Yeshivish, in monsey.
I wear it tastefully, just a bit on my eyelid, not smeared all over like its purim.
It brightens my eyes

L K

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 10:01 pm
DrMom wrote:

Being a cool color, blue brings out warm-colored eyes (brown) beautifully.

Crookshanks

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 10:06 pm
I don't like blue eyeshadow. I think greens and purples and light pink and peach tones do a lot more and look nicer.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 10:17 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I remember learning in Navi that women where considered not tznius for wearing blue eyeshadow.

Personally, I wear.

Rashi on a pasuk in Yeshaya that says ומסקרות עינים. It says that the women were צובאות עיניהם בסיקרא ובכחול.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 10:36 pm
Blue eyeshadow is considered very immodest by many
And it is mentioned in Yeshaya as one of the reasons for the destruction of the bais hamikdosh

hodeez

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 10:39 pm
There's definitely a right and a wrong way to wear blue eyeshadow. I would stick with a taupe and mascara. When I'm feeling frisky I put some blue eyeshadow on my lower lash line, just for a pop of color.

momof2+?

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 10:44 pm
amother [ Lightcoral ] wrote:
Blue eyeshadow is considered very immodest by many
And it is mentioned in Yeshaya as one of the reasons for the destruction of the bais hamikdosh

How is it that I never heard of this? I went to a very frum Bais Yaakov school that talked about Tznius a lot. I used to wear blue eye shadow and only stopped bec I got bored of it.

amother
Snowflake

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 10:51 pm
I learnt it in Navi as well

Moonlight

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 10:57 pm
I wear all colors depending on my mood. Yeshivish
Blue eyeshadow looks best on brown eyes. But I have seen some blue eyed people wearing the perfect shade of blue eye shadow where it didnt look wrong.
I also love colored eyeliner

amother
Buttercup

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 11:13 pm
DrMom wrote:

I think what blue, green, or purple eyeshadow does is make one look like an exotic bird. I never understood it.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 11:20 pm
I totally didn't think it was a tzniyus thing. I also went to a BY and don't recall ever learning it was a problem. I thought it was a fashion issue.
Would 14-16 year old girls know this?? It's a sefardi BY. So maybe I shouldn't wear it if it's considered inappropriate to them???
I definitely don't wear it very dark. It's so light that once when I wore gray I got a comment, as well.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 11:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is there anything wrong with wearing blue eyeshadow??

I work in 2 schools. In the high school, I had more than one student comment on my blue eye shadow.
My other job is in a preschool. So I asked staff there (my age {40ish} and some girls around 20) if anything is wrong with blue eye shadow and no one seemed to think so....

Maybe it's a cultural thing because one place is ashkenaz mainly and the other sefardi?? I donno... I don't want to by unfashionable. LOL. I am so not into make up but wear a little bit but I don't want it to stand out toooo much! and it isn't like it was a dark blue.

Depends what shade of blue. Light blue is definitely very old fashioned and out, but darker blue is fine.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics