Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Child swimming lessons

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 11:04 pm
My 5 year old is scheduled for swimming lessons early tomorrow morning and I'm unable to cancel so close to the lesson.

Does anyone know if swimming lessons are OK for little kids during the 9 days? We have no rabbi to ask (plus it's late in the evening and we probably wouldn't get a response until too late tomorrow anyway).

keym

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 11:08 pm
I don't know if it's ok or not
But I do know that swimming is problematic for 2 reasons 1) bathing 2) not to do things of Sakana during this time that is set aside for bad outcomes.
The Gemara even talks about a parent refraining from smacking a kid (even though normally it may be allowed) so as not to hurt the child.
For this second reason, I might refrain from swimming lessons for a child.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 11:10 pm
I can't pasken for you but there are rabbonim who hold it's ok.
I rent out my pool and one of my renters (swimming instructor) is continuing in the 9 days.

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 11:11 pm
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:
I can't pasken for you but there are rabbonim who hold it's ok.
I rent out my pool and one of my renters (swimming instructor) is continuing in the 9 days.

There might be a medical reason.

I would feel very uncomfortable with putting my child in a deep pool in the nine days. Is there some kind of Halacha hotline to call and ask this?

hoboken

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 11:43 pm
We do instructional swim during the 9 days

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sat, Jul 10 2021, 11:54 pm
We are continuing during the 9 days. My husband said it's allowed since I would lose money my cancelling and it's not for enjoyment

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 5:02 am
I am a swim instructor. I have been told that it’s mutar to continue for younger kids who may lose out by having the week break.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note