Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you let your kids play in the dirt?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 11:46 am
D you let your kids play in the dirt? Catch frogs and salamanders? Play with bugs?
Or do you find it disgusting and germy?

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 11:47 am
I find it disgusting but I let play with sand/rocks/dig in dirt and jump in puddles. The kids love it and it's good for them.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 11:48 am
Was just going to post the same question. My 8 year old has recently started digging outside with his friends in the mud and collecting bugs, and I really hate this activity. Wondering how common it is as well.

shmosmom

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 11:50 am
It's part of their summer fun. You don't have to let it into your house. Spray them with the hose and bring them out fresh pjs.
They had their fun outside, you have your fresh clean kiddos inside.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 11:52 am
I would never do it I find it gross but if it makes my kids happy sure why not. I carry them into the shower right after and scrub them down.

tweety1

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 11:54 am
NO NO NO

Stars

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:02 pm
Yes

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:02 pm
Within reason. (Not on Shabbos and not right after a bath etc)

Rabbit613

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:03 pm
YES YES YES!!!
It's so healthy for kids to have fun in nature!

DVOM

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:03 pm
Yup!

Google mud kitchens. Best fun!

Zehava

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:05 pm
It’s really healthy for kids to play with dirt, both physically and emotionally. There’s a reason they’re attracted to it.
Just give them a delicious bath the second they step inside.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:08 pm
my only concern would be to make sure they weren't treating worms, ants... inhumanely. Like my daughter would play with sacadas but she wouldn't prevent them from flying when they want to.
otherwise it's so good for them!

Fabulous

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:12 pm
Of course! I would just try to make sure they are wearing junky clothing. It’s so healthy to be and play in the outdoors with nature. Would you rather they play inside on electronics? Every time they make a mess or theme selves dirty outside, having a good time, that’s what I ask myself.

My daughter is now into making chalk sand with her friends. She comes in filthy from head (face included) to toe. But it keeps her happy and occupied, how can I complain?

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:12 pm
Of course!

My 3 year loves playing in the dirt in our backyard. He has a shovel and bucket and some small construction vehicles and it can keep him busy for hours!

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:13 pm
I think it’s gross but I let them cuz it’s good for them.

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:29 pm
Of course! That's exactly what kids are supposed to do and it's good for the immune system. Yeah, it's gross, but I don't know if you've heard, there's this thing called a bath that can help.

Teomima

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:43 pm
For sure. It's a great way for children to play and explore.

Ravenclaw

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 12:47 pm
Yep.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 1:06 pm
Absolutely! I feel really bad for kids who aren't allowed to get dirty and explore nature. Making mud pies is the best part of childhood.

For the first 3 years of my daughter's life, her favorite toys were plastic dinosaurs and dump trucks. We made a dirt pile for her in the back yard, and she could happily play for hours.

She never had any interest in baby dolls, and that's fine with me. Her Barbies did not have a Dream House, they would go on jungle adventures out in the tall grass. They usually ended up getting chased by the dinosaurs! LOL

DD also developed a deep empathy for insects. After it rained she would go up and down the sidewalks, "rescuing" slugs and earthworms who might get stepped on. She hated that she couldn't pick them up and move them to the grass on Shabbos, so she'd stand there until the bugs crossed, and tell everyone "Be careful! Don't step on the bugs!" It took us forever to walk home. Smile

watergirl

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 1:09 pm
Yes!!! Whats the harm? Nothing a bath or shower can’t undo. It’s one of the joys of childhood. So many lessons and so much about our world is learned through exponential learning like this. Not everything is learned from a book or behind a desk.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics