Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you let your kids play in the dirt?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 1:10 pm
I have fond memories of making mud pies as a kid. I wish my kids played in the dirt more.

Aylat

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 1:17 pm
Yes! We dissected a dead lizard together.

observer

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 1:20 pm
Yes! It's so good for them! As a matter of fact, my kids are doing so as we speak!

yiddishmom

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 1:23 pm
Sure!

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 1:24 pm
Fabulous wrote:
Of course! I would just try to make sure they are wearing junky clothing. It’s so healthy to be and play in the outdoors with nature. Would you rather they play inside on electronics? Every time they make a mess or theme selves dirty outside, having a good time, that’s what I ask myself.

My daughter is now into making chalk sand with her friends. She comes in filthy from head (face included) to toe. But it keeps her happy and occupied, how can I complain?

Chalk sand I had to stop allowing because it left clothing stained.

essie14

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 1:50 pm
Yes! My DD played in our yard all throughout lockdown last year. Was the best thing for her! She still loves it. She gets hosed off and goes straight into the bath afterwards.

Zehava

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 2:15 pm
Aylat wrote:

#momgoals

amother
Opal

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 2:16 pm
Aylat wrote:

Is this in allowed al pi halacha?

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 2:19 pm
Of course. Playing in the dirt is a part of having a great childhood. What kind of child do you want if you forbid any kind of natural fun. Is playing with an iPad better since it is hygienic.

Also there are many studies which seem to show that playing in dirt is healthier for kids because it helps them build up natural immunity and also see,s to prevent allergies. A super clean environment isn’t physically healthy and compounds the emotional damage of a mother who values superficial cleanliness over fostering a child’s interaction with the world. The work of a child is play which includes being able to freely play in the dirt withiut worrying their mother will scold the, for getting dirty.

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 2:28 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
Is this in allowed al pi halacha?

Why would it not be?
* It is dead already, so eiver min ha-chai or tzar baalei chayim does not apply.
* Touching it would make one impure for going to the Beit Hamikdash, but unfortunately that doesn't apply in our times.
*As long as one doesn't eat it or put contaminated fingers in the mouth (eeew) it should be fine...
* Dead bodies of humans are respected and must be buried as intact as possible, but for animals that does not apply.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 2:30 pm
Aylat wrote:

Ha I'm laughing, you're reminding me that we used to dissect birds in the bungalow colony...... ewwwww how did I do that??????

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 2:37 pm
Yes but I teach my kids that they may not pull wings and legs off bugs because it's tzar baali chaim.

suremom

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 2:51 pm
tweety1 wrote:
NO NO NO

Unless you live in a city building with nary a patch of soil in sight, how can you even prevent it?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 2:59 pm
Amarante wrote:
Of course. Playing in the dirt is a part of having a great childhood. What kind of child do you want if you forbid any kind of natural fun. Is playing with an iPad better since it is hygienic.

Also there are many studies which seem to show that playing in dirt is healthier for kids because it helps them build up natural immunity and also see,s to prevent allergies. A super clean environment isn’t physically healthy and compounds the emotional damage of a mother who values superficial cleanliness over fostering a child’s interaction with the world. The work of a child is play which includes being able to freely play in the dirt withiut worrying their mother will scold the, for getting dirty.

One of my great-grandmothers grew up on a farm. Her wisdom was "If you eat a teaspoon of soil every day, you won't get polio." Another one was "G-d made the dirt, and the dirt don't hurt."

Talk about "down to earth"!

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 3:05 pm
suremom wrote:
Unless you live in a city building with nary a patch of soil in sight, how can you even prevent it?

If she does what my mom did. Which was to frighten the **** out of us by yelling, punishing, hitting, if we didn’t listen.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 3:17 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
One of my great-grandmothers grew up on a farm. Her wisdom was "If you eat a teaspoon of soil every day, you won't get polio." Another one was "G-d made the dirt, and the dirt don't hurt."

Talk about "down to earth"!

Not a Bubbe Meisel Very Happy There are studies with Amish children and other children who live close to barns who have significantly lower rates of allergies

stillnewlywed

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 3:22 pm
Yes of course, kids are kids

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 3:30 pm
Yes, of course.
Someone once told me that my kids get good doses of Vitamin D . Vitamin Dirt.

suremom

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 3:43 pm
amother [ Ultramarine ] wrote:
If she does what my mom did. Which was to frighten the **** out of us by yelling, punishing, hitting, if we didn’t listen.

I'm sorry for what you went thru. Tweety comes across as a very caring mom and I'm genuinely curios how she prevents her kids from playing the most enticing stuff in existence... Unless the NO meant she doesnt allow it but her kids do it anyway LOL

small bean

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 4:00 pm
Whe my sons was 2 and always playing in the dirt, we asked him, what do you like bettee dirt or ice cream. He answered dirt.

My now 2 year old, lives outside, digging, catching frogs, palying with the animals etc.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics