Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
What diagnosis at age 11

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 7:50 pm
My son was diagnosed with PDD at age 2.
He is attends a mainstream school, and at this point doesn't have any therapies (though I'm sure a bit of OT an social skills therapy wouldn't hurt - he just has to agree)
He is a bit quirky, has special interests, takes meds to help him with his inflexibilities, and has some minor stimming.
I saw on his medical form that the diagnosis is still written there as PDD.
Are there any other ways to diagnose a high functioning ASD tween?
PDD just struck me as portraying him having a more severe form of autism.

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 7:56 pm
Hi, PDD doesn’t exist anymore. It’s all under autism spectrum disorder now. It was actually a more mild form of ASD that didn’t meet more specific criteria.

PDD-NOS stands for Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified. PDD-NOS was one of several previously separate subtypes of autism that were folded into the single diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) with the publication of the DSM-5 diagnostic manual in 2013.

naomi2

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 8:58 pm
Amother clear, That was very clearly explained:)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 8:58 pm
So everything is now called ASD?
Does Aspergers exist as a seperate entity?

Stars

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 9:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So everything is now called ASD?
Does Aspergers exist as a seperate entity?

everything is asd
it's good and bad

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 9:02 pm
I know this wasn't my original question, but I'm trying to understand how is that method of classification is helpful, when there are is such an extreme range of manifestations?
You could have two kids in a room with the same diagnosis and their needs couldn't be more different.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 9:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know this wasn't my original question, but I'm trying to understand how is that method of classification is helpful, when there are is such an extreme range of manifestations?
You could have two kids in a room with the same diagnosis and their needs couldn't be more different.

Exactly
Hence the if you met one child with autism, you met one child with autism...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 9:31 pm
So, would I just go and ask his pediatrician to change it to ASD?

eta: does it matter if it says PDD or ASD?

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 9:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

no one really knows the answer to this question. autism is a disorder that affects the nervous system and that presents differently in every person.

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 9:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I don't think it matters

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 10:07 pm
while my typical son (with minor behavior issues) and my severely autistic nephew are both labeled the same diagnosis (ASD), they are on the opposite end of the spectrum.

allgood

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 8:19 am
In order to be eligible for services, including OPWDD if applicable, you will probably need an update diagnosis code. I dont know if your doctor will give it just based on you asking him or her to update but he/she can give it based on if your child meets those criteria at this point.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 8:45 am
amother [ Clear ] wrote:
Hi, PDD doesn’t exist anymore. It’s all under autism spectrum disorder now. It was actually a more mild form of ASD that didn’t meet more specific criteria.

PDD-NOS stands for Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified. PDD-NOS was one of several previously separate subtypes of autism that were folded into the single diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) with the publication of the DSM-5 diagnostic manual in 2013.

This. My son with Pdd graduated high school with an 85% average but has severe executive skill issues. He is a really great person who is smart and capable. His original dx was Pdd-nos but we just say ASD now.

amother
Clear

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 8:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes, I would ask his pediatrician to update the diagnosis.

amother
Clear

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 8:51 am
naomi2 wrote:
Amother clear, That was very clearly explained:)

Lol 😆

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:07 am
Yeah - it's all called ASD now.

I didn't like the PDD or Aspergers terms anyway - they were too specific, if you are higher functioning than that there was no real term for you.

Even with very low functioning people there's a complete array of different types of struggles.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)