Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Toras simcha -baltimore
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 4:27 pm
Can any imas who send there tell me about it?

Hopeful365

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 10:04 am
*bump*

Not OP, but we're thinking of moving to Baltimore, and would be interested in hearing about this school...

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 1:11 pm
I don't send to TS (my boys were already enrolled in TA when they opened), but have heard only wonderful things from other parents. Hopefully you will get some responses from parents who send there, but just wanted you to know they have a great reputation in the community.

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 1:48 pm
Second that. My kids were already registered and in other boys' schools before Toras Simcha opened. I am hearing good things about it.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:03 pm
I send there but don't want to out myself. Is there an email address where I can contact you?
Short version: We LOVE it. It's probably hashkafically between TA and TI though there are many exceptions in each direction.
Biggest issue is getting a spot. They only want 1 class per grade and are turning away many wonderful families. How old is your son?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:07 pm
I don't send there but I have a lot of friends who do. It's very warm, out of towny (if you are super New Yorky or "cool," you won't like it, please don't take offense), emphasis on middos, loving Torah, etc. I agree with poster above, the families are hashkafically somewhere between TA and TI (but there's definitely overlap in the other schools). I think I remember hearing it is built to be similar to the Torah School of silver spring.

Agree your biggest issue would be getting a spot.

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:14 pm
We send there, we're happy. Any specific questions?

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 10:32 pm
Bumping this thread. Please tell me about boys" schools in Baltimore!! We're regular, frum, no frills family that wants to instill a love of Torah in our children.

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 12:16 am
There are 3 all boys, mainstream schools in Baltimore with 3 non-mainstream.

The mainstream schools are TI (old timers call it Sherith Hapleita), TA, and Torahs Simcha. Baltimore is an achdusdik community, so you will find a mix in all 3. Each has their strengths, so you really need to check out all 3 to see which one talks to you.

The 3 non-mainstream are Darchei Noam (Montessori with separate boys and girls divisions), Cheder Chabad (also separate girls and boys divisions) and Tashbar (which started with a bunch of home school parents)

My boys started school in a different state and so we picked TA based on the fact it was the most similar to what my kids were used to (and Torahs Simcha, Darchei Noam older grades and Tashbar didn't exist yet). BH we have been extremely happy there. I have 2 that left after 8th grade to go to yeshiva and one still in the system. The rabbaim are amazing and warm and really love the boys.

You're going to have people swear by the school they send to. So you really need to just go and check them all out.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 12:32 am
We send to Toras Simcha- what would you like to know? I’m happy to answer any specific questions posted here

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 11:52 am
Thank you for your replies. I think my number one priority is a place that has a strong hold on the importance of middos tovos, chashivus haTorah, and chavivas hamitzvos. I feel like everything else sort of falls in to place after that.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 12:45 pm
I send to TI
We are very happy
They definitely focus on kodesh but the secular studies are definitely done well and have been improving in recent years

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 1:03 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Thank you for your replies. I think my number one priority is a place that has a strong hold on the importance of middos tovos, chashivus haTorah, and chavivas hamitzvos. I feel like everything else sort of falls in to place after that.

Toras Simcha def does that!
The Torah learning is infused with simcha and ahava and they have multiple programs to help the boys focus on their middos and Mitzvos!
They also have a big emphasis on the social- the rebbeim are very involved at recess ensuring all boys are playing and involved.

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 1:11 pm
Quote:

All 3 will give you all of the above to different degrees. It really is worthwhile to come in for a day and check out all 3.

Years ago, before we lived in Baltimore, we were looking into schools for our son -locally to where we lived. Both schools we were looking into were highly recommended. We went to visit both schools. One was very warm, stressed middos, etc, but was hefker. We were there for about an hour and the same kid was in the hall playing and shmoozing the entire time. A bit more bullying during recess due to lack of supervision. So although on paper it was the better school, in reality it was the wrong place for us.

I'm not saying chas v'shalom that any of the Baltimore schools have the above issues. I'm just using it to illustrate the importance of seeing for yourself.

Again you will see an overlap of all the things you are looking for in all of the local schools. But each one has it's own flavor of what they stress and how they run the school.

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 1:13 pm

You can not go wrong in this regard in any of our schools. BH we have fantastic schools with amazing rabbeim. I am a very happy TA mom with boys in 6th and 3rd. The difference is visible really only in regards to their secular subjects.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 1:17 pm
Thank you very much raspberry and Crystal amothers- both of your replies were extremely helpful in different ways.

Op- good to know and I'm so happy that you're happy there. Thanks for letting my hijack your thread! Smile

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 1:22 pm
I personally sent to TA

They have midos programs (STAR) in the elementary. Many of the rabbaim will play sports with the boys during recess to see how they interact out of the classroom and use that time as a teaching moment when a kid gets out, etc. Middle school also has a whole bein adam l'chaveiro program.

The rebbaim infuse of love of learning. I heard of a first grade rebbe in TA who mentioned in passing he gives bar mitzvah lessons one day during class. Years later, many boys from his first grade class want him and only him for bar mitzvah lessons.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 1:40 pm
Thank you very much raspberry and Crystal amothers- both of your replies were extremely helpful in different ways.

Op- good to know and I'm so happy that you're happy there. Thanks for letting my hijack your thread! Smile

When I replied I didn’t even realize it was my thread!!
Only today did I notice lol!!
Bh we are very happy there!!

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 1:53 pm
amother [ Raspberry ] wrote:
I personally sent to TA

The rebbaim infuse of love of learning. I heard of a first grade rebbe in TA who mentioned in passing he gives bar mitzvah lessons one day during class. Years later, many boys from his first grade class want him and only him for bar mitzvah lessons.

I know exactly what rebbe you are talking about, he teaches 1st and 2nd grade and is THE BEST. My son is now in 6th grade, his bar mitzvah is IYH in May, and we have this rebbe for his bar mitzvah rebbe, all because my son, who had him in 1st grade remembered!! Yesterday I was at the Hat Box talking to a mother who's son is going to be bar mitzvah this week, he goes to TI and also has this rebbe, my son sees him every week at his house Smile He is the most requested rebbe in TA (one of them, there are a bunch actually) and also very very popular for bar mitzvah rebbe.

Hopeful365

Post Mon, Apr 18 2022, 3:10 pm
Can any Imas who are current Toras Simcha parents PM me? We're seriously considering TS and would like some current information about it. Thanks
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics