Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What is worse?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 9:35 am
I just realized that I forgot to wash pantihose before 9 days. I have one pair that is FILTHY (caught in a muddy rainstorm) and another that under normal circumstances I would have said need washing but realistically can be worn again once. Do you think it's worse to wash them or to put on new ones?

Answers I don't need:

1. Why do you wear pantihose?

2. Why can't you just wear filthy ones. Don't you feel the churban?

Suffice it to say that I (a) am going to wear pantihose and (b) they will not be filthy.

That being the case, wash the old ones or put in new?

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 9:36 am
I think it's better to buy a new one. (that's what I remember hearing from my Rabbi) double check please.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 9:37 am
I think either is perfectly fine. That's an intimate garment and doesn't have the same guidelines as a top, skirt or dress.

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 9:38 am
You should probably ask your LOR but I remember having a similar question a few years ago and being told that new is better than washing.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 9:41 am
Thank you all so much.

amother
Latte

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 9:59 am
I only have one nude colored bra and one black bra. If my bra gets particularly sweaty there no question I’m washing it. I can’t buy another $65 bra just like that. Each purchase I make is carefully considered (financially)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:01 am
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
I only have one nude colored bra and one black bra. If my bra gets particularly sweaty there no question I’m washing it. I can’t buy another $65 bra just like that. Each purchase I make is carefully considered (financially)

Totally get that.

imaima

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:03 am
You can handwash your pantyhose only or you can buy new pantyhose, it is not considered new clothing.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:41 am
OP, you say "put on new," not purchase new.

None of this is my minhag, but AIUI even for those who don't wear "clean" clothes during the 9 days, there is nothing wrong with wearing clean undergarments, and I would consider pantyhose to be undergarments, and you're not purchasing, just putting on what you own.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:53 am
amother [ Winterberry ] wrote:
You should probably ask your LOR but I remember having a similar question a few years ago and being told that new is better than washing.

Same, my DH ran out of underwear one year for some reason (can't remember why now? Maybe he was traveling?) and the rav said it's better to buy new ones.

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 11:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just realized that I forgot to wash pantihose before 9 days. I have one pair that is FILTHY (caught in a muddy rainstorm) and another that under normal circumstances I would have said need washing but realistically can be worn again once. Do you think it's worse to wash them or to put on new ones?

Answers I don't need:

1. Why do you wear pantihose?

2. Why can't you just wear filthy ones. Don't you feel the churban?

Suffice it to say that I (a) am going to wear pantihose and (b) they will not be filthy.

That being the case, wash the old ones or put in new?

My Rov told me that not washing clothing does not apply to socks or underwear

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 11:31 am
SixOfWands wrote:
OP, you say "put on new," not purchase new..

Good catch! Don't think I am crazy but last year they stopped making my favorite pantihose so I went to several stores and stocked up (at a huge discount too!). I have 25 -30 pairs in the house in a box under my bed. So no shopping, just opening a new package.

keym

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 11:59 am
I was going to say that my husband showed me in a Sefer (that I don't recall the name) that 9days is opposite Chol Hamoed. Chol Hamoed is better to buy, 9Days is better to wash

HOWEVER, I just read your latest post. And if that's the case that you already own it, it's better to put on brand new than to wash.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note