Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Why do we have to follow some tisha bav halachos, but others
Previous  1  2

Do you do laundry during the 9 days, wear everything before?
I don't do laundry during 9 days and wear everything I plan to wear for a few minutes before the 9 days  
 18%  [ 40 ]
I don't do laundry during 9 days but don't wear everything I plan on wearing right before 9 days  
 54%  [ 117 ]
I do laundry only if necessary (for adults)  
 26%  [ 58 ]
Total Votes : 215

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 11:12 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
What do you do that you have to launder your skirts after every wearing? I wear my skirts over and over and launder them once in a blue moon. It's not like a shirt that you sweat in, the collar gets grungy, etc. It's more like a suit jacket. I wear a slip so the skirt isn't touching my bare skin.

Same here. On imamother, everyone seems to launder everything after wearing it for just five minutes. My skirts are only washed when they get dirty.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 11:18 am
amother [ Winterberry ] wrote:
Same here. On imamother, everyone seems to launder everything after wearing it for just five minutes. My skirts are only washed when they get dirty.

In the winter I agree. But in the summer I normally wear light coloured skirts, and when you've had a busy day a beige skirt doesn't last more than two or three days without being in urgent need of a wash.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 11:46 am
I have chronic fungal infections under my breasts and my lower stomach as well as in the creases of my thighs. (it happened before I lost weight too) and not enough clothing not to do laundry, especially because clothing that used to not irritate my skin does now.

I shower daily because If I don’t it rages out of control. I also use hand towels after showers under my bathrobe ( do I don’t have to wash my robe every day, and only have so many of them. I can’t buy enough clothing to help with just 9 days. A rabbi I consulted agreed that I needed to do my laundry for my health.

I wash my laundry with an anti fungal agent used in hospitals and honestly, it’s so much work, I’d give anything for a break for 9 days bc then it would be under control for a change.

I don’t have much of a choice unless I want to exacerbate the infections. I know this is gross, sorry, but it’s my truth.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 11:49 am
Elfrida wrote:
In the winter I agree. But in the summer I normally wear light coloured skirts, and when you've had a busy day a beige skirt doesn't last more than two or three days without being in urgent need of a wash.

Aha. I don't own any light-colored skirts for that very reason. Also because I don't need a light color calling attention to my wider-than-optimal bottom line.

BadTichelDay

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 12:05 pm
We wash the children's clothes and put a few adult clothes that are urgently needed in as well. And we shower, normal frequency, but cooler and/or shorter than usual.
I have also learned the method to put clothes on the floor and walk on them briefly, barefoot, to "unfreshen" them. Did that this morning with my shirt, the skirt wasn't freshly washed anyway embarrassed

Frumme

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 1:13 pm
Like badtichelday, we take showers that are shorter or cooler than usual, but she frequency. Kids get bathed every day because they don't have a concept of the 9 days yet.

I try not to do laundry unless it's necessary, like for baby clothes, toddler underwear, undergarments, etc. And we hold that we can stick in adult clothes in there too if we need them washed.

I just drop the item of clothing onto the floor before wearing. Sometimes I'll do laundry before 9 days and just dump all the clean laundry out onto the floor and then back into the basket before folding, and then I don't have to worry about it lol

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 1:36 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
This thread is very surprising to me.

I don't take a regular shower at all. Only cold water, limb by limb, when I'm sweaty. That's every day or 2. I don't understand why anyone would need more than that. That's the whole point, to do it differently in a way that's not pleasurable. You can get the hygiene you need without the regular shower.

I don't do any laundry at all for adults. We have enough, BH. I might wear a skirt twice if I need to.

Not everyone can tolerate cold water washes.

And people sweat differently than you. I happen to sweat alot, and need nightly showers. the whole point is to do it for cleanliness not pleasure. I'm sorry that you can't understand that people have different needs than you do.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 4:37 pm
I pre-wear everything except underwear and socks, and I don't do any laundry at all during the 9 Days. No little kids in the house so that's not a concern. Except sometimes I think for elderly adults there may have to be other reasons why you would need to wash clothing, if you get my drift. One day I will have to ask a shaila about that if it gets to that point.

A few months ago when we were going to have repairs done in the house and our water was going to have to be shut off for a day or so, I found something on Amazon called Bed Bath Wipes and another product that's like a foam spray that you can use and rinse off without water. Both of those are terrific to use during the weekdays of the 9 Days. They're made for people who are bedridden (not me B"H) and can't shower so they can "bathe" in bed instead. Neither product needs to be used with water. So far I'm OK using both of those. Also, sorry for the TMI, when I go #2, if I feel irritated back there after I cleanse myself, I use a portable sitz bath. I fill it with cold water and witch hazel and sit in it for 5-10 minutes. Whatever is causing the irritation soaks off, and then I pour the water down the toilet, wipe myself off with tissues or wipes, and I'm good.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 5:56 pm
I pre wear clothes (not including socks, undergarments, or shells) and only do kids laundry. But I absolutely shower every day. It’s the summer but even if it wasn’t I think it’s gross not to. However I significantly turn down the temp and don’t find it pleasurable at all. I hop out as soon as I’m done because I don’t enjoy it. I also feel like I don’t get as clean because it’s not hot water but oh well 🤷‍♀️

sky

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 6:16 pm
All children and adults 9 and over wear all weekday clothing approx 15 minutes.
We do no laundry except for ages 7 and under(unless bedwetting)
Towels we prepare beforehand. (Shabbos also use fresh towels)
We take very quick cooler showers. Wet, soap up, rinse. Nothing warm or luxurious.purely for hygiene

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 6:52 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
This thread is very surprising to me.

I don't take a regular shower at all. Only cold water, limb by limb, when I'm sweaty. That's every day or 2. I don't understand why anyone would need more than that. That's the whole point, to do it differently in a way that's not pleasurable. You can get the hygiene you need without the regular shower.

I don't do any laundry at all for adults. We have enough, BH. I might wear a skirt twice if I need to.

I spoke to our Rav and he said I could take quick showers in lukewarm water every night- I'm very sensitive about it. he told me not to linger and enjoy a hot shower. everyone needs to get their own hadracha that works for them. he did not tell me to take cold showers.

mizle10

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 6:58 pm
What do you do that you have to launder your skirts after every wearing? I wear my skirts over and over and launder them once in a blue moon. It's not like a shirt that you sweat in, the collar gets grungy, etc. It's more like a suit jacket. I wear a slip so the skirt isn't touching my bare skin.

Lol. “what I do” is have an 18 month old who is running around outside in the mud and grass and dirt and then runs back to me, touches my skirt, rubs her face in me and asks me to hold her with her adorable little sticky fingers.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 6:58 pm

I find that my skirts smell, after sitting at a desk job all day. I shower daily and it still smells . I wash skirts daily the same way I wash underwear and tights. But when I was a teenager I went weeks without a wash. I became more sensitive.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days