Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Making cheese filling without a wrapper - ideas?

agreer

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 5:39 pm
I'm on a low-carb diet but really wanting the yummy filling inside stuffed shells/ravioli/lasagna etc.

I can eat ricotta, eggs, cheese, etc.

However...I"m thinking if I make the mixture by itself and bake it, it will be hard, not creamy.

Any ideas?

I don't want to bake it in shells and throw out the shells - that's a waste to me.

mamaleh

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 5:48 pm
You could layer it in sauce. Put a layer of a good marinara then a layer of the filling &cover it with more marinara.

You could also wrap it in a veggie b4 cooking: a layer of onion- cooked to soften, a lots slice of zucchini or eggplant. Or stuff it in a baby pepper.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 5:50 pm
Make a lasagna with a vegetable as the noodle. Zucchini and eggplant work well with this.

Also you can make stuffed mushrooms with the cheese filling

Stars

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 5:50 pm
I saw an idea of making a cheese wrap by baking four slices of American cheese (or similar) next to each other in a square till their golden brown and then rolling it up with filling before it becomes hard.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 5:51 pm
Wrap it in zucchini ribbons or make a crustless quiche.
https://melindastrauss.com/201.....ling/

Quote:
Ingredients

Zucchini Ravioli
4 medium zucchini
1 cup part-skim ricotta
1/4 cup parmesan
1 egg
1/4 cup chopped fresh spinach
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups jarred or homemade marinara sauce
Toppings
1/2 cup mozzarella
2 Tbsp parmesan
2 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
fresh basil
Instructions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Using a potato peeler, slice the two sides of each zucchini into thin flat strips, peeling until you reach the center. You will end up with 50-60 slices.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, parmesan, egg, spinach, basil, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Separately, fill the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with the marinara sauce. You can also portion control the ravioli by splitting them up between smaller baking dishes.
To assemble the zucchini ravioli: overlap two strips of squash then overlap two more strips perpendicular on top of the first strips, creating a T shape. Spoon 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of the squash then bring the ends of the strips together, overlapping each other. Turn the ravioli over and place in the baking dish to seal the bottom. Top with olive oil, mozzarella, more parmesan, salt and pepper.
Bake the zucchini ravioli for 30 minutes, until the zucchini is al dente and the cheese on top is turning golden brown. Serve with more marinara sauce, parmesan and fresh basil.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 8:00 pm
Pesach noodles!

One dozen eggs, a teaspoon of salt, a half a cup of corn or potato starch, and a half a cup of water. I know that starch has carbs, but when you look at how much starch you will get per serving, it's probably only 3 or 4 grams total.

Mix the starch and water until completely smooth, and then add the eggs and salt.

Cook like you would crepes, making them very thin. You can cut the crepes into strips to make noodles, or use them to roll things up in and bake. They taste exactly like pasta. Leftovers freeze beautifully.

If you want to use them for a dessert, you can substitute the water with milk or half and half to make them creamier and more decadent. Roll up fruit compote inside, and drizzle with melted dark chocolate.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 8:21 pm
Add spinach and eggs to a savory cheese filling and bake to make a sort of Kugel.

scintilla

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 8:25 pm
Cheese latkes?

anonymrs

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 8:56 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Wrap it in zucchini ribbons or make a crustless quiche.
https://melindastrauss.com/201.....ling/

I've been making zucchini ravioli for years. It's heaven!! Everyone loves them. You can use whatever filling you like and just follow the instructions in the link.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals