Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Nurses- please help me feel better!
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 3:42 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Op I didn’t mean to discourage you… for sure get your license and than see what your options are
For ex :I was interested in working in IVF, the clinics pay less but it’s an option
I just couldn’t find a job & now they hrs wouldn’t work for me

@Mint , exactly what you said word for word
And I don’t think I could stomach doing MedSurge even now 10+ years later

No you're good!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 3:43 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
If you can stick a patient and don’t mind blood in tubes, hemodialysis is really not gross at all-and they usually higher straight out of school-no experience in Med/surg. necessary.

I’m in outpatient HD 8 years.

To me, the worst is (smelly) Necrotic tissue and wound debridement.

Hmm. I'm going to look into that. Thank you! And yes I agree with you

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 3:45 pm
I think I would enjoy some sort of outpatient/office nursing, like amother cerulean said hemodialysis. What other options are there like this? I know there are OB nurses, etc, but I feel like are they medical assistants?

amother
Outerspace

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 4:05 pm
amother [ Cornsilk ] wrote:

I work NICU and find even the invasive stuff less "gross" than in adults but others can't even think about placing an IV in a newborn (much less a preemie weighing only a pound). Get through school, have an awareness of where you are holding and see if it gets easier for you with time or if you want to find a field where you can avoid this stuff entirely. Hang in there.

Hi! I didn’t realize there were any other NICU staff here Hi

amother
Outerspace

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 4:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think I would enjoy some sort of outpatient/office nursing, like amother cerulean said hemodialysis. What other options are there like this? I know there are OB nurses, etc, but I feel like are they medical assistants?

Would you like postpartum where you take care of mom and baby? What about occupational health RN for a hospital? School nurse?

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 4:23 pm
I work in oncology and don’t have to deal with gross stuff. I am with you in regards to suctioning patients on vents/ I used to literally gag and almost vomit from that. Only did med surg for two years and haven’t had to do anything like that since. Hang in there. You’re going to find the right job that suits you that you will love

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 5:29 pm
amother [ Dustypink ] wrote:
I work in oncology and don’t have to deal with gross stuff. I am with you in regards to suctioning patients on vents/ I used to literally gag and almost vomit from that. Only did med surg for two years and haven’t had to do anything like that since. Hang in there. You’re going to find the right job that suits you that you will love

Thank you! Amen

amother
Daisy

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 5:56 pm
There’s a ton of options in nursing. Honestly suctioning and foleys are gross but you do get used to it I wouldn’t write it off completely. I do think it’s good for nurses to get Med surge or Tele experience after school if they can.
Non gross nursing jobs- You can do school nursing, home care,iv nurse , case management theres really endless possibilities.
Most floor nursing hospital jobs are going to have some sort of gross aspects to it.
Mother baby is hard to break into and your dealing with a lot of pads checks etc which could be gross.
Labor and delivery is a lot of foleys and is def not an easy nursing job.
A lot of the “specialty” hospital jobs just require experience before hand.

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 6:01 pm
Just a note about psych.

There is a huge need for psych NPs. There is a shortage and when you graduate that specialty, you will have some great job offers starting around $100 an hour.

It is a clean field with regard to physical stuff but extremely taxing emotionally.

There is lots of flexibility.

rachelki 768786

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 10:48 am
I know a frum RN who works in a frum pediatrician office.
Checks for strep, gives shots, checks ears eyes etc.
Not invasive at all.
But also probably doesn't pay like a hospital.

Bluepink

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 2:43 pm
Like everyone said, hang in there! Nursing is an awesome career with tons of flexibility, job opportunities, growth potential, and great pay in some settings.
I agree with another poster, it is likely that these stuff will not bother you at all after more experience . I was always a little squeamish before nursing but I now work med surg/ tele and I love it. NG tubes, ostomies, and Foleys all the time Smile
Hospital work is draining but very rewarding and pays well generally. What you described as reassuring patients is the best part of nursing in all settings! My patients are scared, confused, and being gentle, educating them, and reassuring them is the best part of my job.
You will find work that you are suited for. Keep studying don’t give up!

Edit for typo

Last edited by Bluepink on Wed, Jul 14 2021, 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Frumnurse2021

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 4:52 pm
Don't worry! I am a nurse for 3 years. I vividly recall my first clinical, which was on the vent unit. I remember feeling super nauseas and wanted to quit nursing school that day. Thankfully, I stuck it out. I am now working in home care, which is more or less the same pay as a staff nurse. The environment is frum, and the hours are great. My only regret is that I am losing my clinical skills from not using them on a daily basis- but I hear that you can always 'relearn' skills should you decide to work in a hospital. Good luck! stick it out!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 6:36 pm
Thank you for the encouragement Bluepink and Frumnurse2021!! It's so helpful
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics