Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
My Unorthodox Life
  Previous  1  2  3  16  17  18

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 5:19 pm
amother [ Chicory ] wrote:
Exactly. Most of her reasons that are shared make it sound like she was unhappy with super yeshivish / chassidish customs, so truly doesn’t seem like reason to leave all orthodoxy whatsoever. It is obvious she just wanted to completely assimilate.

(Her older daughter still is MO light)

Do regular JPF girls play sports and sing and dance in front of men? Why are you all pretending that she’s lying about that it’s annoying.

So many pages of refusing to admit that some people are happier OTD.

IsraeliSoul

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 5:26 pm
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:
Do regular JPF girls play sports and sing and dance in front of men? Why are you all pretending that she’s lying about that it’s annoying.

So this is why she dropped everything and intermarried. oh ok

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 5:38 pm

Yiddishkeit has a place for everyone . The Torah was giving for the entire Jewish people . That means every single Jewish person out there, including all the Jews that are secular now.
When Moshiach comes, he will Moshiach for all of klal yisrael.
As I said earlier & will say again…. this Julia person sounds like she is in a lot of pain.
Wherever she was living , she for prob many reasons wasn’t happy.
No I don’t believe a Yid
can truly be happy w/out Torah, been there done that !
But let’s pretend she is happier now, that doesn’t mean that she can claim that she came from a fundamentalist cult . It doesn’t make sense . Most things sound like either outright lies or major exaggerations.
Again there are authentic ways to be yourself and live as a Jew, sadly she didn’t find that in her life ….it doesn’t mean that all female Orthodox women are oppressed and deprived
She is making it sound that’s how it is for everyone , Bc she couldn’t be a free Spirit
Also you realize $ talks, and Netflix has a lot of say in what they want to show.
The whole thing is a mess from every angle .

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 5:48 pm
is it true that she converted to Christianity for her husband?

trixx

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 5:57 pm
"Fundamelist community"
"always wore high heels"
LOL okay

amother
Begonia

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 6:07 pm

Some very MO girls do.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 6:11 pm
amother [ Winterberry ] wrote:
Yiddishkeit has a place for everyone . The Torah was giving for the entire Jewish people . That means every single Jewish person out there, including all the Jews that are secular now.
When Moshiach comes, he will Moshiach for all of klal yisrael.
As I said earlier & will say again…. this Julia person sounds like she is in a lot of pain.
Wherever she was living , she for prob many reasons wasn’t happy.
No I don’t believe a Yid
can truly be happy w/out Torah, been there done that !
But let’s pretend she is happier now, that doesn’t mean that she can claim that she came from a fundamentalist cult . It doesn’t make sense . Most things sound like either outright lies or major exaggerations.
Again there are authentic ways to be yourself and live as a Jew, sadly she didn’t find that in her life ….it doesn’t mean that all female Orthodox women are oppressed and deprived
She is making it sound that’s how it is for everyone , Bc she couldn’t be a free Spirit
Also you realize $ talks, and Netflix has a lot of say in what they want to show.
The whole thing is a mess from every angle .

I’m just tired of everyone pretending that she’s lying about JPF girls not singing dancing and doing sports in front of men.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 6:11 pm
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:
is it true that she converted to Christianity for her husband?

No.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 6:15 pm
I think given that this show hasn't even come out yet, it's really impossible to educatedly comment on the show.

I'm not that interested in the show, but I don't enjoy these types of shows really--regardless of the background of the people starring in it.

I think if I want to draw conclusions about Julia and her family, I would have to really get to know their story and of course, be DLKZ. I have to truly seek to understand and be sure I understand before drawing conclusions--certainly negative conclusions. I'd need to be able to see things from their perspectives.

I don't know that personally I will take the time to do so (again, because this type of show just isn't my thing) and I don't know these people. So, I'm obligated to recognize what is speculation and conjecture and what is fact, what I truly understand and what I don't, and not draw conclusions if I'm not willing or able to get to the right place.

If I've learned anything in the 40+ years I've been on this planet, it's that nothing is simple or black and white, many things are complicated and nuanced, and compassionate understanding is critical.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 6:19 pm
I’m just tired of everyone pretending that she’s lying about JPF girls not singing dancing and doing sports in front of men.

Sure, but that's the point many have made. She could have moved to the left and still stayed Orthodox. She could have even worn her tank tops to the beach. Found MO schools for her kids.
Also, other than maybe a few extremely RW segments of yeshivish or chassidish society, there is no such thing as no newspapers or radio. Just another of her extreme exaggerations.
I get it, there's not much to make a Netflix show out of it otherwise. Especially after the documentary of chassidish OTDs (I think it was called One of Us) and Unorthodox, her story is sort of plain vanilla. And any reality show is staged and only based on kernels of the real life story.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 6:34 pm

My niece is part of an MO community and is a professional hip hop dancer who has competed in general competitions (slept in a hotel nearby so she could walk on Shabbos). Obviously I don’t consider this to be halachically acceptable for me, but my niece keeps kosher and Shabbos and will marry Jewish.

Yes some people are happier OTD. But that’s a personal choice. It doesn’t mean that no one can be happy if they are religious, which is what the show seems to imply. I’ve seen the promos and trailers and interviews.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 6:37 pm
amother [ Winterberry ] wrote:
I am as angry and upset about this show as anyone else
But after reading the above interview I just pity her . I do. After thinking about it I do realize that perhaps there are issues in Frum communities that need to be tackled.
One thing that comes to mind, I that I don’t think kids are in the right school if they feel like they need to fit a certain box
We as adults are ok w/ finding a community & derech that works for us.
Perhaps there is an issue w/frumkeit & kids & some kids truly feel wherever they are in school that they don’t fit
🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️.
That’s one point . My second thought is that I think this Julia person is in a lot of pain, and it sounds like something inside of her is broken.
Those are just my 2 thoughts that came to mind
And about the show I hope it’ll be at least somewhat better than the previews .

Same here. I have pity for her. I hope she’s happy and her children are happy too. And I hope not one yiddishe person is “inspired” to leave Judaism because of this show.

amother
Yarrow

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 9:19 pm
Some ppl get a really bad taste of yiddishkeit (or fundamentalism as she calls it) and trash it all. Even though she was breaking boundaries while still on the derech, I'm assuming she felt conflicted, judged etc..it's a very black and white way of thinking but most OTD ppl have this mindset.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 9:43 pm

Her daughter was in a very MO school. Like I said before my niece went there too. Yes they sing and play sports in front of men.
Please don’t defend her lies. She was not in a repressive community. Im Super yeshivish and I read more News Sites then she will ever read.
(I can’t even get my sister to cancel her anti Semitic NY times subscription.
No one has to pretend here. We’re all quite liberated and actually play sports, read the news and don’t even have to lie about it for fame.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 11:11 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Her daughter was in a very MO school. Like I said before my niece went there too. Yes they sing and play sports in front of men.
Please don’t defend her lies. She was not in a repressive community. Im Super yeshivish and I read more News Sites then she will ever read.
(I can’t even get my sister to cancel her anti Semitic NY times subscription.
No one has to pretend here. We’re all quite liberated and actually play sports, read the news and don’t even have to lie about it for fame.

Was that her older daughter who was in a MO? Cause I think it's her younger daughter who supposedly had an issue with singing, dancing, and sports.

elisheva25

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 11:12 pm
A very good article on this topic
https://jewinthecity.com/2021/.....zDBIY
Page 18 of 18   Previous  1  2  3  16  17  18 Recent Topics