Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Vacation/Personal Days

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 1:15 pm
Is it ok to use personal/vacation days when you are considering leaving your job? I'm halways through the year and have a ton of unused days. I'd like to take a week or so off and am thinking of eventually giving notice.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 1:18 pm
I would. You deserve them, why not use them?
Or, tell your boss your last day of work and use your vacation days after.

amother
Iris

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 1:19 pm
I think this is a question for your rav

amother
Pear

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 1:19 pm
I'm assuming your company doesn't pay you for unused vacation when you leave?
If that's the case, then I think you're entitled to any earned days (so let's say you have 10 vacation days per year, if you work there half a year then you can use up 5 days).
I know my company has specific rules about this.

moonstone

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 1:22 pm
amother [ Iris ] wrote:
I think this is a question for your rav

I am so tired of seeing this answer for every single question. No, it is not a question for a rav. Those days are yours and you're entitled to use them, even if you're thinking of quitting. You've earned them, they're yours. Go ahead and use them.

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 1:23 pm
yes take them

sky

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 1:25 pm
Typically days are accrued. Like every quarter you get 25% of your days.
If you leave a job before using accrued days you should be paid for them - so you can use them.
If you leave a job and use more then your accrued says I believe they can deduct those days from your final paycheck.

Like if you have 20 days then every 3 months you earn 5 of those. So if you would take all 20 days by July and then leave they could deduct 5 days from your final paycheck.

Last edited by sky on Tue, Jul 13 2021, 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

challahchallah

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 1:26 pm
Yes. They’re part of your compensation package. You can still cash your paycheck, use your health insurance and take PTO before you leave.

You should, however, give two working week’s notice so that you have time to transition out of your role. You should try to avoid taking PTO during your two week’s notice period, but if you need to, you should offer to extend your notice period by that amount so you still have two week’s worth of work to wrap things up.

amother
Anemone

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 1:53 pm
Our vacation days are earned with time, you get 6 hours PTO added to your bank every pay period.

So for example, if you have 12 days, you can’t use all 10 in Feb. at that point you you would only have access to 2.

Ellie7

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 5:09 pm
If you’ve already accrued these days, I believe that legally the company must pay you for any that are unused when you leave. In which case, using them is probably preferable from the company’s perspective.

Incidentally, this is one reason why companies switch to unlimited PTO—there’s actually less liability for them if employees aren’t accruing time that may need to be paid out.

Persevere

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 5:11 pm
Yes use them!

Although most large companies will probably pay out your remaining PTO when you leave.

essie14

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 11:24 pm
moonstone wrote:
I am so tired of seeing this answer for every single question. No, it is not a question for a rav. Those days are yours and you're entitled to use them, even if you're thinking of quitting. You've earned them, they're yours. Go ahead and use them.

This.
Your employer has to either pay you for unused accrued vacation days or let you use them.
It makes no difference if you use them before or after you give notice.
many people give 2 weeks notice and then use their PTO time within those 2 weeks.
Or give 3 weeks notice, stay for 2 weeks and the last week is PTO.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 6:05 am
essie14 wrote:
This.
Your employer has to either pay you for unused accrued vacation days or let you use them.
It makes no difference if you use them before or after you give notice.
many people give 2 weeks notice and then use their PTO time within those 2 weeks.
Or give 3 weeks notice, stay for 2 weeks and the last week is PTO.

My companies policy is use it or lose it, and they are open about it when you sign the company handbook. Once you give notice, you are no longer entitled to your days.

So no, they are not "required" to let you use it.

But if you are Thinking of giving notice, I don't see the issue..

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 6:28 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
My companies policy is use it or lose it, and they are open about it when you sign the company handbook. Once you give notice, you are no longer entitled to your days.

So no, they are not "required" to let you use it.

But if you are Thinking of giving notice, I don't see the issue..

Whether or not they are required to pay you out for unused vacation time depends on where you live. Some states in the US require it while others don’t.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 7:47 am
Yes, you can and you should. Like that you can get some rest before you start your new job. These days are yours, if you don't use it, you may lose it. I doubt they will pay you for the days that you didn't use after you leave the job.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics