Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I'm getting a deduction
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 11:43 pm
thank you all for the advice. I will talk to my boss tomorrow bn, I need a script.

amother
Catmint

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 11:45 pm
I'm confused how talking to him can help? If the way this field is structured is that you will always lose a percentage to the manager - what can he possibly do about it? Let you work without the manager?
I'm really confused about the business structure though, I've never heard of anything like this so it really doesn't make sense to me.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 11:58 pm
amother [ Catmint ] wrote:
I'm confused how talking to him can help? If the way this field is structured is that you will always lose a percentage to the manager - what can he possibly do about it? Let you work without the manager?
I'm really confused about the business structure though, I've never heard of anything like this so it really doesn't make sense to me.

I've been working without a manager until this point. now, the company is expanding my worksite, so I will be getting a manager. it's confusing to u b/c I didnt say which field this is. I cant give away too many details

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 12:15 am
Here's how I'm understanding it.

A. You're doing amazing work and getting a pay cut instead of a pay raise.

B. You were hoping and had a shot to get the managerial position.

Sounds super disappointing and if it's something that you think your boss can work with you on, I think it's worth a conversation.

But also, to play devil's advocate:

Basically you were super lucky till now because you had a one in a million position, in that you were getting paid more than other people in your position get paid. And now you got "downgraded" to what people of your position typically get paid. So basically your lucky streak ran out is all that happened.

Am I getting it?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 1:02 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Here's how I'm understanding it.

A. You're doing amazing work and getting a pay cut instead of a pay raise.

B. You were hoping and had a shot to get the managerial position.

Sounds super disappointing and if it's something that you think your boss can work with you on, I think it's worth a conversation.

But also, to play devil's advocate:

Basically you were super lucky till now because you had a one in a million position, in that you were getting paid more than other people in your position get paid. And now you got "downgraded" to what people of your position typically get paid. So basically your lucky streak ran out is all that happened.

Am I getting it?

THIS EXACTLY! you worded it better than I did. this is the exact situation

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 2:00 am
As someone who recently got a manager when I was previously THE manager, I understand you completely. It's really hard and upsetting, and you have to eat a lot of humble pie.

In your case, unlike mine, it comes with an additional blow. A pay cut. It's this sticking point that you should mention. Nobody should get a paycut unless there's a substantial reason.

Go to your boss and say to him/her:

Hi boss. Can we talk? Is there a good time? Great. I wanted to discuss my performance here at the company. I know I've been doing great work, I've been promoted and you've increased my salary with raises, to show your appreciation of the work I do here. [optional: I had foreseen getting the manager job, because I really think I could bring a lot more to the table. However, I understand your decision.] I am disappointed, and what's upsetting is that my salary has been decreased because of this corporate change. I'm hoping that you could keep my salary the way it has been and not decrease it, because I've earned my place here.

If he/she says no, say thank you for your time, and look for another job. Simple as that. At least you tried. But you can't stay anywhere where they devalue your job and not keep your pay the same. Over time, they'll take more away if they can.

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 2:50 am
Can you ask your boss for a raise equal to the pay cut you are getting?

ally

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 7:36 am
It sounds like OP is on commission not a salary and the manager gets a cut of the commission. Could you maybe negotiate that cut?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 9:44 pm
UPDATE!
Thank you all for the great advice. I spoke to my boss today and I will not be giving up on any portion of my current pay to the manager. Additionally, he was happy that I brought it to his attention and I will be getting a raise.

ETA: for all those women who are ever intimidated to talk to your boss, it's worth mustering up the courage to approach him/ her about what's bothering you. I almost gave up on it because I was too shy/ afraid. BH I took the courage to go in and talk to my boss and feel so relieved.

amother
Catmint

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 9:45 pm
Yay!! So happy to hear!!

Optione

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 10:22 pm
That's incredible! BH!!

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 10:29 pm
Yay that's wonderful! So happy for you!

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 10:30 pm
Wonderful news!

Bleemee

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 10:41 pm
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:
Get an offer and use it as leverage to ask for a significant raise.

There was an excellent article linked in a different thread explaining why this is a bad idea. Wish I remember which thread.

daagahminayin

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 11:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
UPDATE!
Thank you all for the great advice. I spoke to my boss today and I will not be giving up on any portion of my current pay to the manager. Additionally, he was happy that I brought it to his attention and I will be getting a raise.

ETA: for all those women who are ever intimidated to talk to your boss, it's worth mustering up the courage to approach him/ her about what's bothering you. I almost gave up on it because I was too shy/ afraid. BH I took the courage to go in and talk to my boss and feel so relieved.

Woohoo! So happy for you! Well done for conquering your fear and standing up for yourself!!!

WhatFor

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 12:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
UPDATE!

YES!!! This is fantastic! Go you!!!

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 12:32 am
Nice. I was kind of expecting that.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 12:20 pm
I'm really impressed! and happy for you!!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics