Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Why should I not register my children as Israeli citizens?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 9:26 pm
I've been thinking about the same thing. I was born in Israel but have lived in America for most of my life. As a child I used to travel to Israel on my American passport but during one entry into Israel I was stopped and told that I could not leave the country without getting an Israeli passport. From then on I used both my American and Israeli passports when traveling to and from America and Israel. When I was in seminary I had to get some paperwork taken care of stating that my parents had a "failed aliyah." Basically they made aliyah, I was born and then they moved back to America. That form allowed me to get out of sheirut leumi. Not sure it would have been so easy if I was a boy. I really would like to get my kids Israeli citizenship because, why not lol.

essie14

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 12:11 am
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:
I've been thinking about the same thing. I was born in Israel but have lived in America for most of my life. As a child I used to travel to Israel on my American passport but during one entry into Israel I was stopped and told that I could not leave the country without getting an Israeli passport. From then on I used both my American and Israeli passports when traveling to and from America and Israel. When I was in seminary I had to get some paperwork taken care of stating that my parents had a "failed aliyah." Basically they made aliyah, I was born and then they moved back to America. That form allowed me to get out of sheirut leumi. Not sure it would have been so easy if I was a boy. I really would like to get my kids Israeli citizenship because, why not lol.

Sherut leumi is voluntary. You got a ptur for the army, not SL.

hello3

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 1:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
what. never heard of this. my husband just told me today it will take 10 days to register our children at the consulate. Dont need sono or anything. They are israeli because he is israeli

Please follow on Facebook the group ישראלים בחו״ל- אישור כניסת ילדים ללא דרכון.

There are tons of posts that of people who are dealing with this issue right now and you’ll see where my info is coming from.

Good luck with either way you choose to go about it.

holylandgirl

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 3:28 am
Also bear in mind that if your children want to move to Israel when they're older, they won't be eligible for all the benefits (sal klita) because they're already Israeli

banana123

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 2:36 am
holylandgirl wrote:
Also bear in mind that if your children want to move to Israel when they're older, they won't be eligible for all the benefits (sal klita) because they're already Israeli

Not true. If the child was born abroad and makes aliya then the child is an ezrach oleh (I think).
Both ezrach oleh and ktin chozer are eligible for benefits similar to that of olim chadashim.
https://www.kolzchut.org.il/he.....D7%94
https://www.gov.il/he/departme.....dex=4

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 2:57 pm
Your boys will have army problems and will be unable to go to Israel even for visits. Israel "punishes" you for not raising them in Israel by not allowing them to get a regular p'tur that those who live in Israel can get.

If they want to come learn in yeshiva in Israel either before or after they are married, they will only be allowed to come for a minimal amount of time after which they must leave the country forever or go to the army.

I have lived in Israel for more than a decade, but I did not make aliyah and I renounced my kids' automatic Israeli citizenship.

We're on student visas, so we have Bituach Leumi and full rights like any other Israeli. We just can't vote.

I don't know what path my sons will take but if we move back to chu"l, I want to give my sons the ability to learn in Israel for many years, like their father did and not be kicked out of the country after 6 months.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions