Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
I have a few hours, help me make them count
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 9:00 am
My husband is taking off work so we can spend the day together before the kids come home.
We have from 9-3.
We'd love love love to go hiking somewhere. We love nature and want to get out of the city.
Everything I searched is about 2 hours drive away. Is there anything closer? Any other ideas? I don't want it to feel like a regular date night in NY. It's also disgustingly muggy and humid in NY. I need a break.
I want out.

Kudos to my husband for realizing how badly I need this and since we cannot go on vacation he offered to do this.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 9:05 am
Bear Mountains?
If you are going to stay local, I'd go paddle boating in Prospect Park and maybe have a picnic lunch (possibly from Chocolatte.)

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 9:06 am
The salt marsh trail in marine park is beautiful

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 9:14 am
Look up “Little Island at pier 55”. It’s a new park in Manhattan. My husband went there and said it’s really nice. You need to reserve entry tickets. Either before or after, you can go to eat Abaita on 49th and 3rd. They make fresh pasta and pizza which normally wouldn’t be top on my diet but is perfect for the 9 Days. Try the lemon curd for dessert and the olive oil cake.

GLUE

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 9:15 am
How far away are you from Staten Island?

When I lived there I used to take my boys to MT. Loretto State Forest to hike.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45385.html

There are many other places in Staten Island that you can go hiking.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 10:25 am
GLUE wrote:
How far away are you from Staten Island?

When I lived there I used to take my boys to MT. Loretto State Forest to hike.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45385.html

There are many other places in Staten Island that you can go hiking.

Is it pretty? Or is it comparable to our local Prospect and Central park. I want to feel like I got a vacation in.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 10:27 am
amother [ Clear ] wrote:
Bear Mountains?
If you are going to stay local, I'd go paddle boating in Prospect Park and maybe have a picnic lunch (possibly from Chocolatte.)

Bear Mountains is almost two hours away (according to Google maps) but that was my first thought.

We go to prospect park and central park all the time.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 10:27 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Look up “Little Island at pier 55”. It’s a new park in Manhattan. My husband went there and said it’s really nice. You need to reserve entry tickets. Either before or after, you can go to eat Abaita on 49th and 3rd. They make fresh pasta and pizza which normally wouldn’t be top on my diet but is perfect for the 9 Days. Try the lemon curd for dessert and the olive oil cake.

This looks new and different. Not sure it's much of a hike but it's definitely not something we've done before.
Thanks for the suggestion.

icedcoffee

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 10:33 am
Tarrytown has some hiking trails and it's about an hour from the city (where I am, at least). Oyster Bay on Long Island also has some trails, like the Sagamore Hill area.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 10:40 am
Today? There's a heat advisory. I would not recommend staying outdoors too long. And I think that extends pretty much anywhere within reasonable distance of the city.

Little Island is pretty small, actually, and feels nothing like a real hike.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 10:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it pretty? Or is it comparable to our local Prospect and Central park. I want to feel like I got a vacation in.

It's very difficult to feel like you got a "vacation" from 9-3, including transportation. I do hope you get what you need out of the day. Aim high, expect low, or find the balance between that.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 10:44 am
Cheesequake park is about 40 mins away and it’s not really a mountain hike but they have a couple really nice easy trials.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 10:44 am
Governers Island

summer0808

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 10:51 am
Governors island is really nice. no hike but lots of things to do. Order your lunch to be delivered to your house first think in the morning and you take it along!

or go on the circle line or one of the other cruise boats up the Hudson!

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 10:59 am
There are some trails in Kew Gardens NY (Queens). I took my boys hiking there when we lived in Queens.

gingleale

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 11:47 am
Go to the Palisades. Lots of good hiking just across the George Washington bridge.

shanarishona

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 12:18 pm
Westchester?

One thing I used to enjoy was taking the metro north railway to westchester, enjoying the views from the train, and then get off in a quaint town.
I don’t know if you have enough time for that.

Good luci

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 12:52 pm
OP, I was having a stressful day at work and your post cheered me up. I remembered to be grateful that I live in Cleveland and have great hiking less than 20 minutes away. We used to live in NY so I know how it feels when you just need to get away! Maybe when I get done with my pile of work I'll go to one of the nearby Metroparks as a reward.

I hope you had a good day and feel renewed!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 2:01 pm
shanarishona wrote:
Westchester?

One thing I used to enjoy was taking the metro north railway to westchester, enjoying the views from the train, and then get off in a quaint town.
I don’t know if you have enough time for that.

Good luci

This is such a cute idea!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 2:01 pm
gingleale wrote:
Go to the Palisades. Lots of good hiking just across the George Washington bridge.

Thanks I'll look into this!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries