Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
My strands don't hold

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 12:54 pm
So my strands don't hold pretty when I let it rise for the second time. I make white flower challos and I rise them for an hour and then I braid them and then try to rise them more but they look really blurry even when I egged washed them before Mad

Thank you for you help

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 12:57 pm
I find that when I spray the strands with oil spray before I braid it, it keeps a nice shape. It doesn't have to be a spray, just a dab of oil on my palms and fingertips.

Teomima

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 1:52 pm
I give my dough at least three hours to proof before braiding, once for two hours (or overnight in the fridge), then punch it down, knead, and let rise another hour, and only after that do I form the braids, after which I let it rise a third time, no more than max a half hour (egg washing twice, once immediately after braiding and again before putting in the oven). Always keeps the braids beautifully.

I suggest letting your dough rise more before braiding. Let the yeast do its work earlier in the process so it doesn't puff up and ruin your braid.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 2:00 pm
How many strands do you do? I find that even though 3 strands are a traditional braid, they don't hold shape as well as a 4 or 6 strand braid.

cholentfan1

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 2:00 pm
Is the blurry because it's rising too much? Maybe where they're being left is too warm? Personally I never leave mine to rise after I braid them, but I do leave them to rise for usually over 2 hours (depending on when I have time to actually make them, often it might end up being more than that, but I do punch it down along the way). I egg them and put them straight into the oven [which is not preheated]

I've actually started making the dough the night before, then leaving it to rise overnight in the fridge before making the challos and it comes out perfect. I let it warm up a bit before using but the cooler dough is also easier to work with.

shmoosh

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 2:03 pm
Put a drop of oil on your hands when you roll the strands.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads