Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Baking with kids

imanotmommy

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 12:00 pm
I'm looking for an easy cookie recipe that would be fun for toddlers to help pour, mix, and decorate.

Let's assume that they will be tasting the dough (this is at home for our family, not a camp or anything, so I'm not worried about strangers' germs), so if it has no eggs, that would be nice. Also, how can I heat the flour to kill bacteria and stuff, without affecting the cookies?

A small batch would be good, but if it's a large recipe, I can always freeze some.

challahchallah

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 12:04 pm
Spread the flour in a thin layer on a baking sheet and bake for 5 mins at 350F. Cool completely before using.

Some stores sell pasteurized eggs too so you wouldn’t have to worry about finding a special no egg recipe. You can also do it at home, but it takes a little more precision than the flour (easy if you have a sous vide though).
https://sugargeekshow.com/reci.....eggs/

cholentfan1

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 1:54 pm
From experience, I find the making the dough with little kids to be enough of an ordeal that I don't like to also make the cookies with them as well. But my endurance levels may be lower than yours.
Either I allow them to help me with the making of the dough, and then it's a one tray cookie bars that don't need rolling out and goes straight in the oven. Or I already make the dough without them and allow them to roll it out and use the cookie cutters.
I've never found a good cookie dough that didn't have eggs though, the egg does seem to bind the dough together better than oil, marge or water can.

I make these the whole time and they are delicious as well as easy to make:
https://betweencarpools.com/th.....icks/

And I love this recipe from estibesty back from 2009 for using cookie cutters. I usually halve the recipe as it makes a lot.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....00227

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 4:00 pm
Has anyone successfully used ground flaxseed as a substitute for eggs to make it toddler-tasting friendly?

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 4:03 pm
Something very helpful I’ve done is pre measure all the ingredients. Then they can really pour everything themselves. You can split one recipe between two or more kids.

Coffee beanz

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 5:16 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
Has anyone successfully used ground flaxseed as a substitute for eggs to make it toddler-tasting friendly?

I did in the chocolate chip sticks from busy in brooklyn. Similar to between carpools recipe

avital613

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 5:27 pm
I have not tried this with cookies but with all sorts of other dishes (cakes, pies, kugul...) I've found apple sauce to be a pretty good substitute for eggs

Tamari

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 5:48 pm
Easy butter cookie recipe:

2 sticks butter or margarine
2 cups flour
1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
1 tbsp vanilla sugar
Dash of salt

Knead well. Dough is very easy to work with.Then have the kids form balls and press down. My kids like to add chocolate chips for 'eyes'. Bake for approximately 12 minutes or till bottoms start to brown but cookies should still be white.
Cookies are delicious as is, but you can also make them into sandwich cookies with any filling, jam/custard/cream cheese mixture/caramel cream etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins