Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Baby vomits regularly - UPDATE
Previous  1  2

amother
Lime

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 9:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
One other thought...

My doctor has told me not to stay away from eating those things that my son is allergic to since it usually does not pass onto the baby through breast milk, and the little that goes through is important so he doesn't become intolerant to it . (Something like that. )

But I wonder if maybe he is reacting to it after all. I have been eating lots of eggs and dairy lately, two foods that he is allergic to.

While this is debatable, it is the common belief regarding IgE-mediated allergies. With EoE, however, it is believed that babies can be affected by what their mother eats. When my baby was diagnosed, I was put on an elimination diet in an attempt to heal him. (Didn't work.)

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 12:29 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
While this is debatable, it is the common belief regarding IgE-mediated allergies. With EoE, however, it is believed that babies can be affected by what their mother eats. When my baby was diagnosed, I was put on an elimination diet in an attempt to heal him. (Didn't work.)

Oy vey.
Ok. Thanks for your info. I really appreciate it and sincerely hope that this is NOT what he has.
I will try to come back and post when I get some answers from the GI.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 5:11 pm
I'm just coming back to update...
So..I saw a pediatric GI today and she did a very thorough intake.

She generally tries to stay away from doing a scope on kids this age but after hearing the whole story, she felt there were too many signs pointing towards EOE. We scheduled a scope for next month and I guess we will know more then. But she felt it was a strong possibility.

One thing that emerged that was interesting to me is that I mentioned to her that my son refuses many foods, even some he used to like. He basically eats only two foods. Then she asked about my son's speech. Turns it, he is almost 18 months and doesn't say a single word. (I have already contacted a speech therapist but did not have the evaluation yet.)

She explained to me that babies who don't eat a whole range of foods and textures can end up having delayed speech, because the different textures somehow helps speech articulation develope. It was like a lightbulb moment for me, because the only word my son says is "EH!" Despite the fact that I know he understands everything. (He is also clearly not autistic.) I had been quite concerned about the lack of progress in speech, but now I have some improtant info that I could work with.

Anyway. Whether or not he ends up with a diagnosis of EOE (and I still hope it's not it, though it seems likely it is) I wanted to thank the Imas who took the time to give me their feedback and for urging me to take him to the GI.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 5:24 pm
I'm glad the GI listened to you and took your complaints seriously. Hopefully the scope will shed some light on what's going on. If it is EoE, there will be several of us here to support you through it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 11:48 pm
Thank you. I will keep you posted..

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 10:37 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
I'm glad the GI listened to you and took your complaints seriously. Hopefully the scope will shed some light on what's going on. If it is EoE, there will be several of us here to support you through it.

So the endoscopy is not for another few weeks, but I am just wondering if others with experience with this condition can enlighten me.
1. Is there anything I should know before the endoscopy, to prepare for it?
2. I noticed that baby coughs a little every time he eats or drinks anything. Could that be connected?

amother
Petunia

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 12:17 am
2 thoughts
--3 of my kids had food allergies, only 1 was severe. He's 18 now and still very allergic. The first thing the allergist told me was to put myself on a diet while nursing and NOT eat the food my kid was allergic to.
--my second had weight gain issues and refused to eat. We had an endoscopy done (probably aroudn 15 months and again at 3 years old) and it turned out to be silent reflux. You wanted to know about the endoscopy. First your baby won't be able to eat at all, I believe starting at midnight. Nothing will prepare you for when they put your baby to sleep. It's very nerve wracking, watching your baby become like a rag doll. The entire procedure is only a few minutes long. (Under 1/2 hour) Your baby may not wake up right away. Mine decided it was nap time and we couldn't wake him for like an hour. The staff didn't seem too concerned. Bring something from your baby to eat when he wakes up.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 12:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So the endoscopy is not for another few weeks, but I am just wondering if others with experience with this co edition can enlighten me.
1. Is there anything I should know before the endoscopy, to prepare for it?
2. I noticed that baby coughs a little every time he eats or drinks anything. Could that be connected?

Please bring up the coughing to your pediatrician. He may be aspirating. Not an emergency but you would need to modify the thickness of his drinks if he is.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 12:48 am
Thank you Amothers Crimson and Petunia.
His coughing is not only when he drinks, its any time he eats as well. Its not a major cough, just like a small cough.
I will mention it to the doctor, but I was just wondering if this could be connected to the EOE, (though I don't know yet if that's what he has.)

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 7:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you Amothers Crimson and Petunia.
His coughing is not only when he drinks, its any time he eats as well. Its not a major cough, just like a small cough.
I will mention it to the doctor, but I was just wondering if this could be connected to the EOE, (though I don't know yet if that's what he has.)

A person can aspirate on both solids and liquids.

Zeleze

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 11:53 am
Ask a doctor about Gerd or Reflux

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 3:38 pm
So weird.
I gave him a new snack today that is made in a dedicated facility that is allergy free.
You know, where the package says:
Gluten free
Dairy free
Peanut free
Tree nut free
Sesame free
Egg free
Fish free
Etc.

I fed it to my baby and he loved it. But before he was halfway through, he vomited the whole thing up. I am so mystified. I can't seem to detect any pattern. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for when he vomits. Sad

Not sure If this is connected, but it happened right after he took a sip of water.

(We are still waiting for the endoscopy but we are having issues with his health insurance so that got put on hold for now. Hopefully that will be sorted out in the next few weeks. )
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics