Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
'My Orthodox Life'
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 10:50 pm
amother [ Arcticblue ] wrote:
"Blaming others and the system isn't always the answer." is what I heard another mother say.

I want to know when you watched the show did you stop to think that maybe she's not blaming, but expressing her pain. Maybe some of her choices of words were not one hundred percent accurate or tasteful at all. But in her mind, this is her reality. It may not be THE reality, but its hers.
I dont think the show is amazing, I dont think everything about it is right, but if we can learn one thing, maybe that can be acceptance. How horrible do you feel that your life is being portrayed as stifling, from reading all the comments Im noticing that most of us dont feel great, lets not discuss her life in the same way.
There are people in every religion and nationality that come out and speak about the trauma they've been through in their personal journey in religion. There are so many people who wrote books and movies and documentaries about leaving the Mormon life. Do you know what shunning them did? well not nothing, it pushed them even farther away.
Lets not show the world that our religion is so fragile that a TV series throws us off the rails. Lets show them that our religion is unbreakable, that nothing can shut us down, lets do this by continuing to serve hashem with love and compassion

Thank you for posting this. I have felt similarly of wanting to understand and listen with compassion. (As much as one can from a “reality” show. I am somewhat interested in her book which I expect will be more nuanced and less about weird editing and sound bites )

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 10:51 pm
adinalow wrote:
Thank you. As I was reading I was waiting for someone to take this compassionate stance. The poor woman is obviously in so much pain. She must have suffered greatly in her previous life for her to go so far and become so antagonistic. I am in no way condoning her lifestyle or vitriol against our community. May Hashem let her feel His love for her, and heal her poor lost neshama.

This is how I’ve felt too. Thanks to the other poster and you for wording it so well

Petra

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 11:30 pm
If there isn't drama and controversy then there is no show. No show means no money. I think the show is disgraceful. She was giving Torah classes in 2008 and she is doing a reality TV show in 2021. She didn't escape one day. She left gradually, little by little.

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 11:41 pm
If I know my life represents the Emes and I am content 100% with it why would one woman's negative portrayal effect my equilibrium. I personally feel for this woman who as expressed earlier really must not be in a great place and in alot of pain. I do tend to be devil's advocate but she has a neshoma like each of us and maybe our response should be how do we reach her as opposed to making mass statements of our disagreement.
Just my thoughts..
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics