Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Crying it out
  Previous  1  2  3  11  12  13

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 9:55 pm
What's up with throwing torah into random conversations that don't make sense? As if the torah has a section on sleep training.

amother
Firethorn

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 3:52 am
amother [ NeonYellow ] wrote:
Bris milah is in the Torah. Hashem gave Avraham an express command to do it to himself and his offspring, which is a command for the ages.

Where in the Torah is sleep training?

It never says that one is obligated to have babies sleep in the same room as their parents. And even if they are, it's further a mistake to assume that just because a baby is in the same room as their parents, they're not CIO. You're thinking of the ma'aseh with the two women and King Shlomo. Clearly, the message is that co-sleeping can lead to infant death, so not sure why this is what you consider a worthy enterprise here.

Call me stupid all you want, but don't try to gain a moral advantage in an argument by behaving as if the Torah says something you believe, without any sources to back your point.

First of all, I apologize, because I mixed you up with amother brown.

amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I wonder how all the anti-any form of CIO because it causes long-lasting, unknowable trauma mothers feel about subjecting 7-day old babies to a bris.

I do brit milah because it's in the Torah. If it weren't in the Torah I wouldn't do it. CIO isn't in the Torah and no one has an obligation to traumatize their baby for it.

So that's what I was responding to. I think the comparison between CIO and brit milah is outrageous, considering that this is a frum site. (If it were a crunchy non-Jewish site I could see it being compared, but on ima? Not okay.)

I'm not saying the Torah says to sleep train, I'm saying that just because the Torah says to do one thing that traumatizes your baby doesn't justify doing something else that traumatizes your baby. The Torah says do brit milah, you do brit milah. Torah never said subject your baby to CIO so there's no reason to subject your baby to CIO unnecessarily.

The only one acting as if sleep training is in the Torah is the one who compared it to brit milah.

BTW I said your response was stupid, not that you are stupid. There's a difference.

amother
Tulip

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 4:19 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I wonder how all the anti-any form of CIO because it causes long-lasting, unknowable trauma mothers feel about subjecting 7-day old babies to a bris.

I made 3 bris and I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't a mitzvah. It goes against every maternal instinct.

amother
Leaf

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 7:34 am
I think the OP was looking for sympathy and helpful tips, not judgement. The two posters who can't stop replying and criticizing should start their own thread. Babies need to learn to sleep, the same way they need to learn to eat, walk, talk etc. There are may methods and if you don't like CIO then move on.
Page 13 of 13   Previous  1  2  3  11  12  13 Recent Topics