Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
We need to talk about Kevin

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 6:48 am
Has anyone read this book? Just wanted to know your thoughts on it.

Warning, if you don't like sad books, don't read this. It is pretty depressing, but very thought provoking.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 7:06 am
I read it. I think it was written by someone who never brought up a child. I think the author was projecting what SHE, as a woman etc, would do... a lot in the book did not make sense to me at all.

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 8:08 am
Tamiri wrote:
I read it. I think it was written by someone who never brought up a child. I think the author was projecting what SHE, as a woman etc, would do... a lot in the book did not make sense to me at all.

A lot of it didn't make sense to me also. Although, on the last page, she realises that she does love her son, (he starts showing signs of teshuva) and is looking forward to him coming home.

But I thought it was very thought provoking...some children are difficult and not lovable (although probably never to such an extreme as kevin), and how do we as mothers deal with that?

Tamiri

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 8:11 am
The whole thing was not normal from the beginning. I read it a long time ago so can't remember the particulars but the story did not ring true to me. And what is this business of tshuva? The kid was a psychopath, they can't do tshvua cause they don't think they did anything wrong.
Oh, now I am remembering... he maimed the sister in some way, blinded her, was it? After that the mother kept him in the house? Give me a break.

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 8:38 am
Tamiri wrote:
The whole thing was not normal from the beginning. I read it a long time ago so can't remember the particulars but the story did not ring true to me. And what is this business of tshuva? The kid was a psychopath, they can't do tshvua cause they don't think they did anything wrong.
Oh, now I am remembering... he maimed the sister in some way, blinded her, was it? After that the mother kept him in the house? Give me a break.

he poured acid in her eye. But the father could see no bad in his son (just as the mother could see no good) so she couldn't do anything, except leave her husband - which she was planning to do.

I wonder why the book was so popular? Was it just the drama factor? Or something else?

madys

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 9:43 am
I read it a while ago for my book club - it was a disturbing book, but I remember someone at the discussion saying that the story was very one sided, you only hear the mother's point of view and her feelings toward her son that she felt no love for.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 1:26 pm
[quote="Raisin"]
I wonder why the book was so popular? Was it just the drama factor? Or something else?[/quote]

I think the reason it was popular is that it is "different" and people like to analyze things to death, especially things they have no idea about. Some things probably tugged at guilty parents' heart strings. But, as I wrote: most of it did not ring true.
Do any of you mothers who read the book think this book could have been "real life"?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room