Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Limiting Mishloach Manos

odchai

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 1:43 pm
Especially this year since Purim is on Friday, I am sending out 10 through my kid's school and I am making 7 additional ones that will be coming from our family. Of course my kids are making their own, but am I being to severe in how much I am limiting myself. I just don't feel obligated to send to everyone that has ever smiled and waved hello to me.
Am I wrong?

Marion

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 1:47 pm
We're only doing 6, including the Rav, not including the ILs. I will do a few little tiny packages for the daycare staff.

Zus

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 1:49 pm
No, you are absolutely right. I actually only give to my (close) family.

Seraph

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:23 pm
'm doing 20. is that a lot or a little?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:35 pm
Do what you can afford to with time and money, and remembr to be marbe in matanas levyonim too.

louche

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:56 pm
The basic MITZVAH--not the social one-upmanship--of MM is two foods to one person. Once you've done that, you're yotzei the mitzvah. Anything else is gravy.

as cm sez, if you're going to go overboard, go overboard with matanos leevyonim. (Oh, yeah, Rambam says that, too. Just not in those exact words.)

Zus

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 3:03 pm
I thought it was 2 immediately edible things to 2 different people (4 immediately edible things in total)?

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 3:19 pm
odchai wrote:
I just don't feel obligated to send to everyone that has ever smiled and waved hello to me.
Am I wrong?

nothing to do with Friday!

zus - mishloach manos is 2 things to one person and matanos l'evyonim is to 2 poor people

louche - yes, Rambam says it's better to give more gifts to the poor than to increase one's meal and mishloach manos but he also says about mishloach manos, "the more you give, that is praiseworthy."

Zus

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 3:29 pm
Motek wrote:

zus - mishloach manos is 2 things to one person and matanos l'evyonim is to 2 poor people

Hmm odd. I could have sworn...I am usually good at remembering those things.

tovasmom

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 4:00 pm
Better to give more matanot leevyonim, as stated before. This year, we are not going off the block for MM.

cassandra

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 4:41 pm
Zus wrote:
Motek wrote:

Hmm odd. I could have sworn...I am usually good at remembering those things.

I think it's the kind of thing they usually teach you wrong in elementary school.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 10:48 pm
u do that every year?

I send whoever I feel we have a good relationship with and close family and nieghbors

deedee

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 11:53 pm
I would buy a bunch and there would always be more p/p that I would remember about on purim. a few yrs ago I decided to just buy 10 and thats it!

Zus

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 8:39 am
I know many people who 'recycle' them if they get a lot. They just mix and match from different packages and create a new one and pass it on.

louche

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 9:29 am
Motek wrote:
but he also says about mishloach manos, "the more you give, that is praiseworthy."

Yes, but remember Shvil HaZahav: all things in moderation. One should know what the basic requirement is. If one wishes to go beyond the basics, wonderful, but one should not feel obligated to do so, especially if attempting to do more is going to make one hate the mitzvah and take away one's joy in the holiday.

odchai seemed to fear that she'd be doing something wrong if she didn't send MM to everyone she knows. There is no such obligation.

I'm very much in favor of the type of education that presents the basic, not-up-for-negotiation halachic requirement before getting into the embroidery. Embroidery is lovely if you can do it, but if all you can manage is a plain white shirt, you should be aware that that is sufficient.

Motek

Post Sat, Mar 15 2008, 10:08 pm
What's your opinion of "v'chol ha'marbeh l'saper .. harei zeh meshubach" (the more you tell, this is praiseworthy) about talking about the exodus from Egypt?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 9:00 am
Some people have gone crazy over it... huge baskets, dozens of mishloach manos, people thinking you're angry if you don't happen to give them one... it's very weird. Even my husband did 2 or 3 and regular stuff. Fruit juice, cookies...

miracle

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 1:41 pm
I dont think you should feel obligated to give to everyone you know. The mitzva is to give to 2 people and the rest you should give Matana l' eivionim.
I am always trying to give to my closest friends and to my dh chavrutah, that makes around 5 or 6.
I also don't feel obligated to give to those that give me. It is nice that they are giving me, but if you start giving to everyone that is giving you, you easily reach 20 or more.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics