Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Havdala on Tisha Bav - GD

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 5:59 am
My Rav told me to make havdala to break my fast, but I have GD so I realized I can't use grape juice, but I don't want to bother on Tisha bav to find out what else I can use.
Does anyone have sources of what else I can use?

SwissAlps

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 6:09 am
You can make havdalla on beer, tea, or coffee. Just say shehakol instead of hagafen.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 6:37 am
I used tea as per our rav

amother
Leaf

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:00 am
You are not allowed to drink anything hagafen on tisha B’Av. If you were told to break your fast, It has to be a sgehakol beverage like coffee or tea.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:02 am
I was told coffee or juice

amother
Clematis

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:12 am
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
You are not allowed to drink anything hagafen on tisha B’Av. If you were told to break your fast, It has to be a sgehakol beverage like coffee or tea.

Not everyone holds like that. My dh brought home a list of halachos and it said that a woman can drink the hagafen if she's not fasting though better to give to a child (within a certain age group, has to be able to understand the concept of what he's doing).

amother
Rainbow

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:18 am
I’m going to call my rav a little later, but my husband told me last night that I need to do eish and hamavdil. I still need to do hagafen/Sheba kohl in order to eat/drink, correct?

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 8:37 am
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:

This is not the only view. Just fyi. I was told to use grape juice today by a reliable posek.

amother
Leaf

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 8:46 am
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
This is not the only view. Just fyi. I was told to use grape juice today by a reliable posek.

I was literally just reading this-

Tisha B'Av day
Chatzos is 1:03 pm
Fast is over n Lakewood at 9:11 pm (One who finds fasting difficult may eat at 9:02 pm)

- Those breaking their fast early should make havdala on a kos, only a bracha on the kos and Hamavdil (no fire or besamim) the poskim rule that you may make on Grape Juice and give it to a Katan to drink. If there is no Katan you may make havdala on coffee , Tea or 100% Orange juice. At last resort one may drink grape juice on their own. (Orchos Rabbeinu)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 11:42 am
Thanks all.
I made it on coffee.
Missed the memo about no Fire and no besamim and already did it.

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 11:45 am
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
I was literally just reading this-

Tisha B'Av day
Chatzos is 1:03 pm
Fast is over n Lakewood at 9:11 pm (One who finds fasting difficult may eat at 9:02 pm)

- Those breaking their fast early should make havdala on a kos, only a bracha on the kos and Hamavdil (no fire or besamim) the poskim rule that you may make on Grape Juice and give it to a Katan to drink. If there is no Katan you may make havdala on coffee , Tea or 100% Orange juice. At last resort one may drink grape juice on their own. (Orchos Rabbeinu)

Ok...so? That's clearly one view. But it's not the only view. As I said, my rav (mainstream yeshivishe) told me to lchatchila use grape juice.

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 12:37 pm
When I was a gestational diabetic I was told I could make kiddush shabbos morning on sugar free iced tea (I don't drink coffee). I imagine it would be ok for Tisha b'av too

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 4:19 pm
Milk is also considered, by some presumably, to be chamar Medina. And refreshingly, "Rabbi Artscroll" agrees.

amother
Yolk

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 4:25 pm
I was told grape juice but when it came time for me to make havdallah I realized we didn’t have any so I used Gatorade. I hope that’s ok.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note