Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
List of gap year Yeshivas Israel?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 17 2021, 6:53 pm
Is there an exhaustive list of yeshivas for a gap year in Israel?
I’m looking for an exciting non intense learning Yeshiva for my son. Ideally it should involve travel in Israel and could have a military component but also needs to give some college credit… I know I’m asking the impossible… that’s why I’m starting to look early. MY DS is somewhat burnt out on full time learning and looking for somewhat relaxed year. He is academically very smart, not a trouble maker but has well controlled ADHD. He loves sports, etc. any ideas?? He definitely wants to go to Israel. Could be any orthodox program.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sat, Jul 17 2021, 8:39 pm
https://www.israelnextyear.org.....rams/

You can filter for Men/Women/Coed.
Some schools have more info than others, in general this site is a good resource. I'm not sure about the military component, though.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 17 2021, 8:45 pm
Awesome, thank you!

Rappel

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 12:46 am
OP - could the Gush Etzion yeshiva be a good match?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 6:47 am
Why in particular do you mention the Gush Etzion one? I looked at the website and brochure. Are all the yeshivas really til 10-11 at night with night seder etc? I feel bad writing it by this DS needs Yeshiva light….
Are there specifically Modern Orthodox gap year Yeshivas that might have more sports or traveling mixed in? This son has done intense learning for the last 4 years and wants a little break…

Rappel

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 6:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why in particular do you mention the Gush Etzion one? I looked at the website and brochure. Are all the yeshivas really til 10-11 at night with night seder etc? I feel bad writing it by this DS needs Yeshiva light….
Are there specifically Modern Orthodox gap year Yeshivas that might have more sports or traveling mixed in? This son has done intense learning for the last 4 years and wants a little break…

I remember there being one being a mix of learning and chessed... Maybe it was called Netiv Aryeh?

Last edited by Rappel on Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 6:56 am
Has anyone heard of Yeshiva Torah Tech?

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:07 am
A good more chesed oriented yeshiva with less learning is called Ashreinu. It is in beit shemesh and is toward a less academic crowd.

Rappel

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Sorry. I suggested Gush because they have a varied student body, a very independent explore-for-yourself approach, and they have a hesder IDF program. The guys definitely get around and explore EY. But they are not lite.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:19 am
No prob! I am open to looking at all options! Is it better to pick a Yeshiva in Jerusalem? For example Torah Tech seems the most interesting BUT it’s in Tel Aviv.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:20 am
Rappel wrote:
OP - could the Gush Etzion yeshiva be a good match?

In my experience, Yeshivat Har Etzion is a very serious learning program and very intellectual as well, doesn't seem like a good fit for someone who is specifically not looking for serious/full time learning.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:25 am
If your son is looking for a more modern orthodox yeshiva, I think maalei ha-gilboah is a yeshiva lite/ kibbutz ish kind of program. Maybe something to look into. This is just based off of someone I know who went there

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:33 am
Interesting amother mint! Will look fir her into it. This is definitely a possibility. Is there any benefit to bring in Jerusalem? The more interesting programs seem to be in more far flung places.

TriAspora

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:33 am
Bnei Akiva gap year https://www.worldbneiakiva.org.....shara

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:36 am
TriAspora wrote:
Bnei Akiva gap year https://www.worldbneiakiva.org.....shara

I wish! My son would love the experiential Yeshiva BUT we won’t consider a co-Ed Yeshiva. Something like Mechina but boys only would be “the one.”

TriAspora

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wish! My son would love the experiential Yeshiva BUT we won’t consider a co-Ed Yeshiva.

From what I understand, they have non co-ed groups as well. I am sorry that I don't know more details, but someone I know went to an all-boys gap year program through them a while ago

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:49 am
My son is in Imrei Binah, in Har Nof. I don't know how much traveling they normally do, because they didn't do much this past year due to covid. But I think it is not intense, when it comes to learning. They do have a college accreditation program, but I don't know the details as my son is not doing it.
Good luck!

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 8:22 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
If your son is looking for a more modern orthodox yeshiva, I think maalei ha-gilboah is a yeshiva lite/ kibbutz ish kind of program. Maybe something to look into. This is just based off of someone I know who went there

You think Ma'alei Giboa is yeshiva lite? You are seriously misinformed. Where are you getting your information? Here are some facts about it:

1. Americans are entirely integrated with Israelis. All classes are in Hebrew. That includes Talmud, Halacha, Jewish philosophy. No mollycoddling of Americans as happens in Gush. It's Hebrew from day 1. You sink or you swim. They're careful about whom they admit, so most swim. But there are always some Americans who leave.

2. The American kids who go there are brilliant and self motivated learners. Last year's bunch consisted of kids who will be attending Princeton, Penn, Yale, U Chicago, Hopkins, Brown. The lowest-ranked school into which the American kids were going to matriculate was Washington University of St Louis, and that's a really hard school to get into compared to schools like YU or state schools favored by many religious kids like Maryland and Binghamton. Ma'ale Gilboa kids are the furthest thing from "lite" learners that you can imagine.

3. The program is intense and demanding. Gemara learning is done using the pioneering and intellectually demanding Revadim (layers) method that Rav Bigman, Rosh Yeshiva of Ma'ale Gilboa, and his colleagues have pioneered, in which the text is carefully dissected to expose the additions of the different editors -- the Stammaim -- of the Gemara. There is also deep study of Jewish philosophy and Tanach.

4. Religiously, the program is more to the left than other yeshivot. That doesn't mean that the rabbanim or students are less careful about Halacha. It does mean that anyone can express any opinion, even if it disagrees with the 13 ikkarim of the Rambam.

5. Politically, the program is much more liberal than others. Rav Yehuda Gilad, one of the heads of Ma'alei Gilboa, served as member of Knesset of the center-left party Meimad. As a whole, the yeshiva is committed to social justice. With all this, the Israelis who go to Ma'ale Gilboa, which is a hesder yeshiva, actually a shiluv yeshiva, serve in the army for 3 full years, unlike in most hesder programs, where they serve in the army for 1.5 years. The reason is that they feel it is their responsibility to not get out of responsibility just because they are learners. And like most religious boys who join the army, they almost all serve in combat units.

6. The yeshiva treats the boys like adults. Nobody is going to force someone to get up to daven or to go to a shiur. But the nature of the program is such that the boys do it because they are inspired to love K'lal Yisrael, Eretz Yisrael, and the Torah, and to want their wonderful time in yeshiva to mean as much as possible.

Signed,
A proud mother of a Ma'ale Gilboa alumnus

Raindropsonrose

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 8:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wish! My son would love the experiential Yeshiva BUT we won’t consider a co-Ed Yeshiva. Something like Mechina but boys only would be “the one.”

TVA is a boys only program and sounds up his alley

http://www.tvaisrael.org/yeshi......html

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 8:31 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
You think Ma'alei Giboa is yeshiva lite? You are seriously misinformed. Where are you getting your information? Here are some facts about it:

1. Americans are entirely integrated with Israelis. All classes are in Hebrew. That includes Talmud, Halacha, Jewish philosophy. No mollycoddling of Americans as happens in Gush. It's Hebrew from day 1. You sink or you swim. They're careful about whom they admit, so most swim. But there are always some Americans who leave.

2. The American kids who go there are brilliant and self motivated learners. Last year's bunch consisted of kids who will be attending Princeton, Penn, Yale, U Chicago, Hopkins, Brown. The lowest-ranked school into which the American kids were going to matriculate was Washington University of St Louis, and that's a really hard school to get into compared to schools like YU or state schools favored by many religious kids like Maryland and Binghamton. Ma'ale Gilboa kids are the furthest thing from "lite" learners that you can imagine.

3. The program is intense and demanding. Gemara learning is done using the pioneering and intellectually demanding Revadim (layers) method that Rav Bigman, Rosh Yeshiva of Ma'ale Gilboa, and his colleagues have pioneered, in which the text is carefully dissected to expose the additions of the different editors -- the Stammaim -- of the Gemara. There is also deep study of Jewish philosophy and Tanach.

4. Religiously, the program is more to the left than other yeshivot. That doesn't mean that the rabbanim or students are less careful about Halacha. It does mean that anyone can express any opinion, even if it disagrees with the 13 ikkarim of the Rambam.

5. Politically, the program is much more liberal than others. Rav Yehuda Gilad, one of the heads of Ma'alei Gilboa, served as member of Knesset of the center-left party Meimad. As a whole, the yeshiva is committed to social justice. With all this, the Israelis who go to Ma'ale Gilboa, which is a hesder yeshiva, actually a shiluv yeshiva, serve in the army for 3 full years, unlike in most hesder programs, where they serve in the army for 1.5 years. The reason is that they feel it is their responsibility to not get out of responsibility just because they are learners. And like most religious boys who join the army, they almost all serve in combat units.

6. The yeshiva treats the boys like adults. Nobody is going to force someone to get up to daven or to go to a shiur. But the nature of the program is such that the boys do it because they are inspired to love K'lal Yisrael, Eretz Yisrael, and the Torah, and to want their wonderful time in yeshiva to mean as much as possible.

Signed,
A proud mother of a Ma'ale Gilboa alumnus

Forgot to add a few points:

Like the typical yeshiva, days are very full, starting from early morning to midnight. There is a 2 hour break in the middle of the day after lunch.

There are very few tiyulim relative to most other yeshivot. This is not the place to go to if you want to tour Eretz Yisrael.

The only "lite" shiur that my son mentioned was bekiut in Tanach and even that wasn't lite. But it is true that nobody is hand holding and you get out of it what you put into it. If your son decides not to look into mefarshim and not to analyze text carefully, that's on him. Nobody forces anyone to do anything.

It is understood that kids will not attend every shiur. That is to focus on quality versus quantity of learning. Some kids would rather give up the shiur on Tanach and squeeze in an extra shiur of Gemara or Chassidut or Mussar. It is expected that kids will be mature enough to make these decisions in a thoughtful way that maximizes their learning.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children