Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
I was given a psak, but I feel guilty.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 8:09 am
I was told that if I feel xyz I am allowed to drink. And I know I am getting there.
So, why do I feel guilty? I feel like I should not be allowed to drink, even though I am.
Anyone else feel that way?

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 8:25 am
Yes, I totally relate.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 8:37 am
I have a psak from VERY big rabbis in the medical field, that based on my physical condition and the type of medication I need, I MUST eat and drink normally. I should not restrict myself in any way.

At the same time, I was given a psak that I am NOT ALLOWED to feel guilty! I am doing a mitzva by guarding my health, and that takes priority.

It's hard. I don't feel the intensity of the day as much as I think I should. I have to work on it, and that is part of the challenge of galus.

Someone once told me, "A bad Jew says 'Ugh, I hate fasting!", and a good Jew says "Ugh, I wish I could fast!'" I think that sums it up.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 8:46 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Someone once told me, "A bad Jew says 'Ugh, I hate fasting!", and a good Jew says "Ugh, I wish I could fast!'" I think that sums it up.

I guess that makes me a bad Jew.

ImmaBubby

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 9:46 am
Many years ago when we lived in Yerushalayim ih”k, I gave birth on 4 Av and went to the “beit hachlama” until after Tisha BAv. It was like a hotel with several courses served for each meal, like Shabbos every day. The goal was obviously to nurse us kimpaturin back to health so that we could take care of our babies (and the rest of our families back home). When it came to Tisha BAv, the administrator- who was definitely one of the frummest people I’d ever met, spoke to us before every meal about the importance of us eating and not skimping at all. Our bodies needed nutrition and calories. They had seen to it that the menus for Tisha BAv would be less fancy but still providing the nutrition we needed, so we needn’t feel guilty about eating. We literally hot this speech before every meal, I believe with the instructions to add “nachem “ when we benched in the place where you would insert yaaleh v’yavo on a happier day.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 11:05 am
Ugh yes I have a high risk pregnancy and my Rav told me I cannot fast. It feels so wrong to be eating and drinking. It’s honestly so much harder for me to get in the “mood” of a fast day. And a serious one at that too.

tryinghard

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 11:08 am
SuperWify wrote:
I guess that makes me a bad Jew.

I think the full quote was likely “I don’t have to fast which is great because I hate fasting”

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 1:29 pm
I was told I don’t have to fast at all because I’m pregnant and get nauseous. But now I’m not nauseous so I’m not sure what to do. Should I break it or not?

amother
Forsythia

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 2:43 pm
I once had a baby 2 days before YK, the rabbi told me to do siurim. I couldn’t. I was bleeding, engorged and my head was spinning. I ate/drank. No guilty at all.
Your rabbi has sense: Halacha makes sense, we are not martyrs.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:04 pm
Thanks everyone. I broke my fast about 5 hours before it was over. I felt bad only before the first sip. After that, I drank until I was able to feel better. Took a long while.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:11 pm
I tend to get low blood sugar and I was told that I can break my fast. I'm trying to push it but I'm starting to feel dizzy. I don't think I made it through a fast since I started having low blood sugar.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note