Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
S/O why do camps make teens get an excuse slip from RN for
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:13 pm
not going swimming during their periods. I remember my camp did this and I don't know if every camp did, but that's so childish. Every normal woman gets their period, but why make teens who have just gotten it and are embarrassed, have to tell a woman they don't know, that they got their period and need an excuse slip. Do camps still do this nowadays, where they force everyone to do every activity unless you get a note from the nurse? I remember they forced us to play sports, do all other activities. Do they still do this?

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:16 pm
I had a counselor who made me go into the bathroom stall and pass out my pad to show her. It still makes me shudder.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:21 pm
(1) probably because teens try it as an excuse every day
(2) there is no reason why girls can’t use a tampon and go swimming or play sports.
We aren’t helping anyone by teaching them that your period means you need to sit around resting all week.

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:21 pm
Never heard of this. In my camp there was no mandatory swimming activity once you were around 12. You could choose not to go cuz you were cold, or didn't like swimming, or any reason-you just had to be at the pool area.
All other activities were mandatory.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:22 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
I had a counselor who made me go into the bathroom stall and pass out my pad to show her. It still makes me shudder.

That’s awful

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:22 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:

I reaally hope you’re joking! Surprised

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:24 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
(2) there is no reason why girls can’t use a tampon and go swimming or play sports.
We aren’t helping anyone by teaching them that your period means you need to sit around resting all week.

No, freedom of choice! I’m not upto swimming or sports during my period and I respect every girl to decide on her own! Definitely not be forced. It’s just cruel. Swimming and sports on period days (or other times that a girl doesn’t feel her best) should be optional not mandatory! They are in camp for enjoyment not torture!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:26 pm
amother [ DarkCyan ] wrote:
No, freedom of choice! I’m not upto swimming or sports during my period and I respect every girl to decide on her own! Definitely not be forced. It’s just cruel. Swimming and sports on period days (or other times that a girl doesn’t feel her best) should be optional not mandatory! They are in camp for enjoyment not torture!
I agree with you. We're not in North Korea. Teens should be allowed to choose which they want to do and which they don't without having to give a reason why.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:27 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
That is sick. She should have been reported. I'm sorry you had to endure that.

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:28 pm
Didn’t exist in our camp. You could choose between swimming or board games.

superstar

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That is sick. She should have been reported. I'm sorry you had to endure that.

agreed

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:30 pm
amother [ DarkCyan ] wrote:
I reaally hope you’re joking! Surprised

Not joking. I literally cried and begged her not to make me do it but she insisted.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:30 pm

Oh please. Some people really suffer from heavy periods that it makes it difficult to do certain activities.

I hate swimming and I hated being forced into my bathing suit every day, period or not.

chestnut

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:31 pm

Teens should be allowed to skip any activity they want.

Stars

amother [ Honey ] wrote:
Not joking. I literally cried and begged her not to make me do it but she insisted.

Wow she’s a serious psycho.

SuperWify

amother [ Honey ] wrote:

Crazy! I hope you reported her.

pause

If swimming was posted as the activity for our bunk, we had to be at the pool area. But no one forced anyone to be in swim clothes or go into the water.

I also had/have a hard time understanding why tampons aren't more popular.

Ema of 5

(2a)what if a girl gets her period in camp for the first time?
(2b)as a teen and even as an adult I was told not to use a tampon by my doc. BH I don’t bleed much when I have my period, and she said I could scratch myself or do damage.
(2c)many people actually do have debilitating cramps, and we are not doing them any favors by forcing them to be active.

chestnut

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:32 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:

That's so messed up. Poor you!! Did you tell your mother about? Imagine all traumatized girls because of this idiot?
How long ago was it? How old was the counselor?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:32 pm
Did you ever have debilitating periods? I'm going to guess, no. But it's not even about that. Teens should be allowed to choose what they want to do, give them a choice of 2 or 3 activities.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children