Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Can't stop coughing....need water!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 8:42 am
Ok...please help!
I'm on Day 5 of a bad cold.
My worst symptom right now is that I keep getting a "tickle" in my throat which results in really bad coughing. Up until Tisha B'Av, this was relieved by drinking tons of water.
The hardest part is that if I fall asleep, I wake up literally coughing and choking and can't stop until I have water
I am a TERRIBLE faster and get by only by being able to sleep.
The coughing/choking thing happened at 2 am and I was so scared to fall back to sleep that I was up until 7 am. So, now I'm exhausted too. (Woke up at 7 choking again)

Any ideas? DH asked TWO rabbis and neither one had any idea what to do. (Cough medicine hasn't relieved this. The only medicine that did were Ludens cough drops, but can't take those.)

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 10:30 am
That sounds awful. I hope you feel better soon.
When that happens to me, I find that breathing in moist air helps. Maybe try breathing in moist air from a cup of hot water? If it wasn’t a fast, I’d say to sit in your bathroom with the shower on hot water and breathe in the steam but if you’re fasting it can cause dehydration chas vshalom.

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 10:32 am
Also, try a saline rinse in your nose. It really helps to clear you out and can make the tickle better.
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 c distilled water (or boiled water cooled down)
Make it all a warm temperate and use a syringe to irrigate your nose. Tilt your head and breathe in a bit through your nose as the water enters. It’s amazing .

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 10:34 am
ugh, I know what you mean. have that too sometimes. especially at night where I wake up choking my throat pricking like needles and eyes streaming. it's so hard that you have this now and cant drink. sending hugs.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 10:42 am
Are you interested in calling a rav that will assess your situation patiently and will pasken accordingly?

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 10:47 am
I’m quite surprised you were not told to drink at least shiurim as a choleh does not have to fast.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 11:51 am
A cold without a fever is probably not considered a choileh but ask a rav

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 11:56 am
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:
I’m quite surprised you were not told to drink at least shiurim as a choleh does not have to fast.

Shiurim are for YK only.
Tisha Bav is a more lenient than YK so if there's a good reason to break the fast shiurim wouldn't be the solution.

It has a completely different set of rules.
YK if your baby is 4 days old you fast.
Tisha Bav you don't fast until the baby is 30 days old.

Same is for cholim. There's much more leniency.

Op please let us know if you want to talk to a rav that will take the time to listen to what you're going through.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 12:44 pm
amother [ DarkMagenta ] wrote:
Shiurim are for YK only.
Tisha Bav is a more lenient than YK so if there's a good reason to break the fast shiurim wouldn't be the solution.

Op please let us know if you want to talk to a rav that will take the time to listen to what you're going through.

The bolded is inaccurate. It is assur to fast the first three days after birth. We generally don’t the first week. Ask a Rav about the first 30 days. Do not tell women that they must fast 4 days after birth.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 12:54 pm
Iymnok wrote:
The bolded is inaccurate. It is assur to fast the first three days after birth. We generally don’t the first week. Ask a Rav about the first 30 days. Do not tell women that they must fast 4 days after birth.

Sorry. I think you took my post in the exact opposite way I meant it.

First 3 days is Assur YK.
First 30 days is assur Tisha Bav

I was trying to point out how the leninceies with Tisha Bav are tenfold and therefore the OP shouldn't think chazal wanted her to cough and choke all day when they clearly had a different set of halachas for YK as for TB.

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 2:19 pm
Iymnok wrote:

You fast with shiurim if your baby is 4 days old. I know. I did it. Shiurim is considered fasting.

amother
Daisy

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 2:36 pm
refuah shalaima. Many years ago I broke my fast because I had a similar situation. I was drinking so much water even before tisha bav because of the virus. Maybe I should have asked a rav, but I knew I needed to drink and it was a nidche fast. OP, ask a rav, I'm sure you'll get a heter, and if it's an emergency...

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:44 pm
Can you try swallowing repeatedly with your mouth closed? That works for me sometimes. Or slow breathing/hypnosis, like what you do in labor.

Can you dry swallow an allergy pill?

Hugs, I'm so sorry. It's a tough situation.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:51 pm
Shiurim are for YK only.

The bolded is not true. While I have never been told to do shiurim on tisha b’av, plenty of women here have posted that they have. I’m sure all those rabbanim are not making a mistake.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 8:17 pm
Are you interested in calling a rav that will assess your situation patiently and will pasken accordingly?

OP here: We called a big posek in Lakewood. He didn't know what to do.
Also another rav. Didn't know what to do either.
Both wierd answers. You'd think they would to do. Or give a psak.

Only have 1 hour left. The choking fits have been awful.

amother
Begonia

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 8:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here: We called a big posek in Lakewood. He didn't know what to do.
Also another rav. Didn't know what to do either.
Both wierd answers. You'd think they would to do. Or give a psak.

Only have 1 hour left. The choking fits have been awful.

Oh gosh… you made it but you had a very hard day
Dh said you can drink water before havdallah

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 9:22 pm
amother [ Begonia ] wrote:
Oh gosh… you made it but you had a very hard day
Dh said you can drink water before havdallah

OP here,: Yup...awful day..

It's over though and I had water already before Havdalah!

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 9:37 pm
amother [ Cherry ] wrote:
You fast with shiurim if your baby is 4 days old. I know. I did it. Shiurim is considered fasting.

My baby was 11 days old on yom kippur. I was told by a rav that 7 days or less, it wouldn’t have Been a question, I would not have fasted.

ecs

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 10:15 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
My baby was 11 days old on yom kippur. I was told by a rav that 7 days or less, it wouldn’t have Been a question, I would not have fasted.

It's 7 days after a c-section, 3 days after vaginal delivery.

amother
Begonia

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 10:39 pm
ecs wrote:
It's 7 days after a c-section, 3 days after vaginal delivery.

What’s everyone talking about? For Yom Kippur? Today was tisha B’Av.
When I had a 10 day old baby on tisha B’Av I was told not to fast. Maybe it was different because it was a nidche that year? But I think within 30 days no fasting on tisha B’Av.
Anyway bH op made it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note