Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Shattered glass

Moonlight

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 2:50 pm
My patio table shattered into a million pieces in the storm. How on earth do I clean it up? I'm nervous cuz ppl walk out there barefoot

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 5:44 pm
First, warn the family not to walk barefoot. Next, get a big, strong, sturdy box such as one made of heavy corrugated cardboard or rigid plastic. .Label it in large letters “broken glass” and if you have any drawing ability at all, draw a picture of a broken wine glass or shattered plate for the benefit of those who may not speak the language or know how to read.

Line the box with a plastic bag (to corral the tiny pieces). Use a broom and dust pan or large piece of stiff cardboard to sweep up the shards and dump them in the plastic lined box. Continue sweeping up the shards until you think you have everything.

When you think the floor is clean, shine a flashlight on it and look for sparkles that may be tiny flakes of glass. Sweep those up again and dump in the box. Finally, take some very slightly damp rags or paper towels (something that you’re willing to throw out) and very carefully and gingerly dab at the surface, without a lot of pressure. After each stroke, check the cloth; if you see any sparkles, dump it and use a fresh cloth, till you cover the entire floor.

Tie up the bag, tape the box shut and put aside for trash pickup. Once again, warn the family that there was broken glass on the patio and that they should under no circumstances walk there barefoot.

Moonlight

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 5:51 pm
Thank you that was so thorough!

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 6:26 pm
Moonlight wrote:
Thank you that was so thorough!

Thoroughness born of experience.

Don’t let people walk around barefoot, period. Not long ago, while sweeping the kitchen floor, I swept up a 2 inch shard of deeply colored glass—a remnant of a one-of-a-kind platter that I broke roughly a year ago. Where this shard had been hiding, I can’t imagine. If a piece that size and color can hide for almost a year, little slivers of colorless glass lo kol sheken.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry