Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Chewing with mouth closed

Do you chew with your mouth closed?
yes  
 88%  [ 85 ]
no  
 11%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 96

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 9:30 pm
If it's important to you that people should chew with their mouths closed at what age do you try to tell you children to chew with theirs closed- or do you tell them at all? And if so- how without nagging them?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 9:33 pm
*I wanted to have another poll option that you don't know if you do or you don't. oops.

and btw I'm asking this because I chew with mine closed, my husband does not. He thinks it's weird and that most people chew withe them open and I think it's strange that his parents never told him to chew with it closed and I think most people appreciate that others chew with it closed but I may be wrong...

And I have no idea what to do about my kids and teaching them what is proper etiquette.

hodeez

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 9:34 pm
My husband will absentmindedly chew with his mouth open and my 6 year old will tell him "ABA, you have to chew like this" and then she'll do the cutest little mock chew.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 9:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If it's important to you that people should chew with their mouths closed at what age do you try to tell you children to chew with theirs closed- or do you tell them at all? And if so- how without nagging them?
. Age two. A gentle reminder

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 9:41 pm
The younger the better. Yes, it’s naggy, but it’s one of the nags you’re entitled to do once you become a mom. You can frame it as not being derech eretz since it is disgusting for others to see half chewed food in your mouth.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 9:42 pm
hodeez wrote:
My husband will absentmindedly chew with his mouth open and my 6 year old will tell him "ABA, you have to chew like this" and then she'll do the cutest little mock chew.

And my husband tells them that it's normal to chew with it open.... So my 5 year old tells me "I chew with my mouth open like Abba. That's how you're supposed to eat"....

I have to work on not nagging my husband to chew with it closed. It's probably better if I just get some earplugs and try to ignore it than bring it up.

amother
Blueberry

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 9:45 pm
I don’t think anyone thinks it’s normal to chew with your mouth open. It’s so inconsiderate to the people with you at the table. That’s what I teach my children as soon as they are able to understand. The younger the better.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 9:46 pm
I am embarrassed but I don't chew with mouth closed 100% of the time. I teach children to at age 2.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 9:50 pm
People with chronic allergies have a harder time with this. It's like when you have a cold, but all the time. Not that that gets you off the hook, just an explanation why it might be harder for some people.

amother
Watermelon

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 9:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I try very hard to notice and to chew with mouth closed. My parents are oblivious and always chew with their mouth open so trying to change the habit.

watergirl

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 10:16 pm
My in laws chew with their mouths open and not just that, they smack while they chew. My MIL says she has TMJ and therefor cant chew with it closed, and somewhere along the line my FIL picked it up also. The smacking is disgusting, but what really grosses me out is how they talk while they are chewing and smacking. Like they cant hold their thought until they swallow. I cant sit near either of them during meals. But I would never mention it to anyone IRL. My kids actually mentioned it to me before because it grosses them out also. It’s honestly so weird because my MIL considers herself to be very prim and proper and judges others manners harshly.

Window

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 10:19 pm
If you chew with your mouth closed, how do you breath???
My mouth isn’t gaping wide, but slightly open, so I can breath

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 10:20 pm
qwertyqwerty wrote:
If you chew with your mouth closed, how do you breath???
My mouth isn’t gaping wide, but slightly open, so I can breath

Most people breathe through their noses.

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 10:27 pm
As soon as they can talk they know they have to close their mouth when they eat. It makes me nuts not just to see it but the sound ugh.

I say things like I can see your food or no one wants to see your tonsils.

simcha2

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 10:28 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Most people breathe through their noses.

I have a severe deviated septum and can't swallow with my mouth closed.

So I chew with my mouth closed, (and think it is the "correct" way), but I open to swallow, because I can't physically not.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 10:33 pm
I can’t tell you at what age to start teaching. Same age as you start telling them to cover their coughs and sneezes and not to pick their noses or walk around naked, I guess. IOW when they start to understand instructions.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 10:39 pm
Thank you everyone!
I told my husband the results off the poll so far and basically what people are saying here. Was very helpful (also made me feel better that I'm not the minority in caring about this).

He honestly really didn't think people were taught to chew with theirs closed or that anyone other than myself and my parents actually do it.

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 10:42 pm
My husband chews with a wide open and it’s gross. I’ve told him that it bothers me many times but he doesn’t care. So I try my best not to be in the same room as him when he is eating.

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 10:43 pm
Most people I know chew with their mouths closed. I don't. The way my jaw is shaped it takes too much energy to close. I don't close it when I talk either, so I mispronounce some letters too. (Think 'b' and 'm' and 'p'.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette