Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
S/O why do camps make teens get an excuse slip from RN for
Previous  1  2  3

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 4:53 pm
We all had to get into swimsuits and go to the pool. That's what cute shorts and sun tanning are for! And that didn't automatically mean you had your period. Plenty of girls opted out here and there. No notes needed.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 5:51 pm
I am nit understanding the issue. In school, we also had to have a reason for not doing gym because the school needs to keep track of where kids are since they are responsible for them. Or if I felt crampy, I wouid go to the nurse to lie down or maybe even be picked up if I were really feeling bad.

I assume the nurse isn’t giving her an gynecological exam so why is this considered so intrusive. It would seem even more obvious to go to the swimming pool or lake and not participate.

Swimming is generally considered to be an important life skill. When I went to college we had to pass a swim test or else take a semester of swimming to acquire basic skills.

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 5:58 pm
Amarante wrote:
I am nit understanding the issue. In school, we also had to have a reason for not doing gym because the school needs to keep track of where kids are since they are responsible for them. Or if I felt crampy, I wouid go to the nurse to lie down or maybe even be picked up if I were really feeling bad.

I assume the nurse isn’t giving her an gynecological exam so why is this considered so intrusive. It would seem even more obvious to go to the swimming pool or lake and not participate.

Swimming is generally considered to be an important life skill. When I went to college we had to pass a swim test or else take a semester of swimming to acquire basic skills.

Many Jewish schools dont have gym so the girls wouldnt be experiencing any of this during the year. In the summer, camp is supposed to be fun so forcing a girl to swim when she doesnt find it fun defeats the purpose of going to camp. Not sure why you feel like it should be forced just because it was forced onto you (seriously, if the college I went to would have mandatory swimming then I would find another college).

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 6:01 pm
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
Many Jewish schools dont have gym so the girls wouldnt be experiencing any of this during the year. In the summer, camp is supposed to be fun so forcing a girl to swim when she doesnt find it fun defeats the purpose of going to camp. Not sure why you feel like it should be forced just because it was forced onto you (seriously, if the college I went to would have mandatory swimming then I would find another college).

Why are you imamother to criticize my post. If anything I should be imamother since I was sharing an opinion as well as a personal experience. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

I seriously don’t understand why people feel the need to be anonymous. Could someone explain this level of paranoia? 🥷🥷🥷

ETA Whether a school has gym is irrelevant since it is standard practice for a nurse to provide a slip to get out of physical activities in schools or camps since there are reasons why these institutions need to keep track of what students are doing.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 6:06 pm
Amarante wrote:
Why are you imamother to criticize my post. If anything I should be imamother since I was sharing an opinion as well as a personal experience. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

I seriously don’t understand why people feel the need to be anonymous. Could someone explain this level of paranoia? 🥷🥷🥷

ETA Whether a school has gym is irrelevant since it is standard practice for a nurse to provide a slip to get out of physical activities in schools or camps since there are reasons why these institutions need to keep track of what students are doing.

She posted on this thread anonymously before she commented on your post. Just saying. She didn’t specifically go anonymous JUST to comment on your post.
Camps don’t need to keep track of whether or not girls are going swimming, unless they are taking lessons of some kind. As long as they are at the pool, their counselors should technically know where they are.

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 6:21 pm
Amarante wrote:

I already shared my story previously on this thread. But I dont have to answer to you as to why I do or dont use imamother. Attacking posters for using imamother instead of responding to their arguments is an ad hominem attack. Tired of all the posters who use this ad hominem attack to try to get out of the argument. Perhaps that is what should be addressed on the board.
Like I said earlier, there was no such requirement in the camp I went to, campers were required to be at the pool but not required to be dressed for swimming or swim at all. No note from anyone would have changed that. Why force kids to swim when they dont want to? And why should a nurse get to decide what a teenager does with her own body?
Teaching self-autonomy is more important than teaching others to have control over you and mandate what you should or shouldnt do especially when you are on vacation. Anything else is complete bullying and oversteps the camps authority as to how kids spent their vacation.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 6:30 pm
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
Why force kids to swim when they dont want to? And why should a nurse get to decide what a teenager does with her own body?
Teaching self-autonomy is more important than teaching others to have control over you and mandate what you should or shouldnt do especially when you are on vacation. Anything else is complete bullying and oversteps the camps authority as to how kids spent their vacation.

I really like how you articulated all of this. Thank you.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 6:39 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
She posted on this thread anonymously before she commented on your post. Just saying. She didn’t specifically go anonymous JUST to comment on your post.
Camps don’t need to keep track of whether or not girls are going swimming, unless they are taking lessons of some kind. As long as they are at the pool, their counselors should technically know where they are.

You can be anonymous for a specific post so whether she felt the need to be anonymous on a prior post is irrelevant.

Anonymous is not the default since has to make a conscious decision to be anonymous.

I just find the whole need to be anonymous for no apparent reason to be weird. I only happened owned to comment on this specific usage because it was especially weird since theoretically I was the one who might have wanted to be anonymous and the person who responded said nothing that needed to be cloaked in a veil of anonymity.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:59 pm
A teenager who's menstruating is considered a ''young lady'' in my eyes. Let's extend her the dignity we extend to adults. They're menstruating, for heaven's sake. They shouldn't have to announce it.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 11:54 pm
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:

Camp is not a resort vacation. There are scheduled activities, and you're usually not supposed to be just wandering around wherever 24/7.

I agree they can't mamash force anybody to swim, but expecting you to show up at the pool/lake at designated swim time is reasonable. Expecting kids show up for scheduled activities is not "bullying."

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 12:14 am
Amarante wrote:

I seriously don’t understand why people feel the need to be anonymous. Could someone explain this level of paranoia?

I know some people IRL who do not speak about this topic in public because they consider it improper. I'd imagine that they might prefer to stay anonymous online on any discussion of this topic.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 1:12 am
DrMom wrote:
Camp is not a resort vacation. There are scheduled activities, and you're usually not supposed to be just wandering around wherever 24/7.

I agree they can't mamash force anybody to swim, but expecting you to show up at the pool/lake at designated swim time is reasonable. Expecting kids show up for scheduled activities is not "bullying."

There’s a difference between expecting every girl in the bunk to come to the pool at swim time, and making a girl go to the camp nurse if she has her period, to excuse her not being in the pool. As long as they are all at the pool and accounted for, who cares if she’s swimming or not?

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:16 am
Amarante wrote:

And Amarante is your real name? What's the difference between that and being anon?

amother
Blushpink

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 3:03 am
I attended a secular college that had a swimming requirement.

I went to the Hillel rabbi and asked for a letter to excuse me from swimming on religious grounds.

He asked me, "why, is it on Shabbos?"

(I was actually not all that right wing at that point but knew I didn't want to go mixed swimming. And he did give me the letter.)

DrMom

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:06 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
There’s a difference between expecting every girl in the bunk to come to the pool at swim time, and making a girl go to the camp nurse if she has her period, to excuse her not being in the pool. As long as they are all at the pool and accounted for, who cares if she’s swimming or not?

No argument there -- I only took issue with the idea that it is "bullying" to make sure she shows up at the right place and the right time.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children