Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
The real Julia
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 5:33 pm
Zehava wrote:
There are many versions to insanity but I don’t think she’s fully sane

I'm following you so far.
Do you reckon that insanity arises as a result of traumatic experiences?

Zehava

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 6:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Most likely. Trauma messes with the brain on a cellular level.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 6:12 pm
https://www.jpost.com/diaspora.....74075

proudmomma

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 6:14 pm
Katie Couric wrote a very positive article about the show and about Julia's "bravery ".
I didn't watch the show and was hoping that her insanity comes through as obviously to the outside world as many of you are posting.
I think that unfortunately it's not.
What a Chillul Hashem!

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 6:26 pm
On her Instagram lives, she acts the exact same way.

Do you know her IRL that you believe she acts in a different manner?

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

chestnut

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 6:44 pm
proudmomma wrote:
Katie Couric wrote a very positive article about the show and about Julia's "bravery ".
I didn't watch the show and was hoping that her insanity comes through as obviously to the outside world as many of you are posting.
I think that unfortunately it's not.
What a Chillul Hashem!

That's sad. We were hoping some things were evident to non Jews. Alas

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 6:50 pm
I watched the entire series. I think that Julia truly believes that she has her kids best interest at heart and is pushing them to succeed in the way that she sees fit. Just like any parent out there would do for their kids. She obviously does it in manipulative and sneaky ways but she says in the end that she wants them to trust her 100% without question. So its about control as well. Which is confusing because she says she wants whats best for them but then doesnt let them make their own mistakes or decisions in life.
So I dont understand this type of parenting, maybe helicopter parenting where they hover over you and control everything you do and punish you if you dont do what they want (which would explain why all her kids try to please her in the end)?
She is definitely a walking contradiction. Its just shocking that no one at netflix picked up any of these contradictions or asked questions about what she is saying or doing.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:26 pm
amother [ Nasturtium ] wrote:
I watched the entire series. I think that Julia truly believes that she has her kids best interest at heart and is pushing them to succeed in the way that she sees fit. Just like any parent out there would do for their kids. She obviously does it in manipulative and sneaky ways but she says in the end that she wants them to trust her 100% without question. So its about control as well. Which is confusing because she says she wants whats best for them but then doesnt let them make their own mistakes or decisions in life.
So I dont understand this type of parenting, maybe helicopter parenting where they hover over you and control everything you do and punish you if you dont do what they want (which would explain why all her kids try to please her in the end)?
She is definitely a walking contradiction. Its just shocking that no one at netflix picked up any of these contradictions or asked questions about what she is saying or doing.

At Netflix they like this type of contradictions and crazy shows. It bring viewers. I think that she has her children best interest but at a certain point she lost control of the momentum. She screams at Ben in front of his wife because he wants her to have children soon even her dd/his wife told her not to interfere with their marriage. She reveals in the book stuff about her family that is really x rated and humiliating. I think that a certain point she is just on a power trip. It reminds of the kardashians that it’s a bunch of women with the mother in power and the men just dragged along somehow. Netflix like strong women. It’s pc. I wish her children will wake up and not ruin their lives.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:29 pm
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
Do you think IRL she treats Aron, her 14 y.o. with respect, and the ridicule and hostility that we see, is only for the series?

I think she does. She lost it. She doesn’t want him to be religious and look down on her.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:31 pm
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
Imho, those posters, whether they admit it or not, approve of her leaving, and are excited about her new life and financial success, at least to some degree.

Again, imho, her biggest accomplishment in life is the way her 14 year old son is behaving and not caving in to her demands. I LOVE this kid. Hes the real star.

I think she was a very good mother. She has adorable children. Aron is amazing especially. We should daven for him. Otherwise she will destroy him mentally and religiously

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 8:56 pm
Do people not see the narcissism? The controlling, manipulative behaviors to everyone in her life? How is that normal??

Truly Blessed

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 11:34 pm
chestnut wrote:

My real question is Batsheva and her husband. They seem to be smart and normal. HOW were they (Batsheva, really. Her husband probably just went along for her sake) OK with showing Julia interfering with their private lives like that? Money buys everything, I guess?

I’ve been trying to figure out the same thing exactly. I’m surprised no one else is talking about this

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 11:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wonder how many others share my perspective. I can't be the only one to think this way:

The Julia that is being portrayed, the Julia we are seeing, the Julia that is being displayed on the public screen, is a character much like Nemo is a character. Much like Cinderella is a character. Much like Dorothy (Wizard of Oz) is a character. The Julia that's being represented is meant to stir an emotional response in the viewers of the show. It's a ''show'', not reality.

The real Julia is a fellow human being, with a beating heart just like yours and mine. With aches and pains just like me. With regrets and sorrows, tribulations and triumphs, like all humans I know. The show isn't showing us all of Julia. It is selecting the parts of Julia that will elicit a particular emotional response. Similar to how products are marketed in a particular way to maximize public interest and impulse.

So I chill and recline in my seat and see this as pure entertainment. I do not think for one minute that the Julia on screen is the Julia off screen. I imagine if I met the real Julia I would see her full humanity and embrace her as a fellow human.

People who choose to display all their lives for the world on Netflix WANT people to talk about them. Even bad publicity is great for them. All this talk, letters to her, articles, etc is what she needs. It’s actually good for her, more publicity and fame and more viewers.

chestnut

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 12:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

She told us her life. What trauma do you think she had that would lead to this?

essie14

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 3:43 am
Julia subscribes to the Kris Jenner philosophy. Kris has encouraged her daughter to pose nude, among other exploitation. Viewers love the Kardashians. 20 seasons of a hit show are nothing to sneeze at. Go Google the net worth of all the kardashians.

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:57 am
Well, here's my take on this.

I watched about 1/2 hour of the show.
It's disgusting

I believe any sane secular person would find it disgusting and disturbing

I went to her modeling website. There's a section with same title as her show. It promotes her show, but mostly her modeling and the clothes she wears on the show. The whole show is just one big advertisement for her modeling and clothing line. (click around and look at the prices! Ridiculous!)

Orthodox women have made a HUGE deal of this show. All their silly #myorthodox life posts. I actually would never have even known about this show, but someone posted one of these posts, along with pictures of her and her husband in "Hawaiian" outfits. Caught my eye, b/c I was like "What Rabbi is wearing Jean's and his wife in a hula skirt?" Without this post (and all the ones that followed,) I'd never have known about the show. Probably of the same deal for many of these women's "followers", both religious and non-religious. They actually called attention to it, where perhaps there wouldn't have been any

I'm on a Facebook group with parents of young adults. Over 200,000 members on this group from around the world of all religions and backgrounds. There has not been one mention or post or comment or anything about this show. Not even one. And this group talks about EVERYTHING. (See above point about Orthodox women calling attention)

This show is way more about self-promotion than anything else. The small amount of "hype" will go away soon. We should just let it be.

And no, I will not be posting about #myorthodox life.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics