Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Are there any pets that can live on a porch?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 3:53 am
Thank you.

amother
Clematis

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 3:55 am
Turtle. Spider. Hamster.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 3:57 am
Rabbits but they need a shelter, a plain open cage is not enough. My DH built one.
I’m assuming the same applies for a guinea pig
Probably a cat
Lizards and snakes

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 3:57 am
In what climate zone?

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 3:59 am
Pet rocks used to be very popular.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:04 am
You can build a bird sanctuary and get birds which are appropriate for your climate -- finches do great among themselves when given a nice place to live, and they're very pretty.

professor

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:08 am
Catapillars if you buy a certain plant you will get tons of them... Then they turn into butterflies

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:36 am
What's the weather like during those 12 months on the porch.

Lady A

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:45 am
Cats need to be inside.

So do hamsters and rabbits, to protect from predators.

If you are concerned about fur getting all over your house , try a fish tank.

Frumme

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:56 am
Cats will do fine in a closed, screened in porch. My parents have a cat and he loves hanging out in there. Litterbox, water, a climbing structure. He goes inside for food and inclement weather. I don't know what your weather is like, though. If you live somewhere sunny like California or FL, your options are different than in NY for example.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 5:00 am
amother [ Obsidian ] wrote:
Pet rocks used to be very popular.

Anything other than a pet rock MUST live inside a home with climate control. It is animal cruelty to keep a pet outside as it's main living space. I once knew a boy who had a whole set up for rabbits with underground burrows etc. which was "outside" but the outside was actually a massive indoor, climate controlled room with a glass ceiling and protected from the elements.

healthymom1

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 5:02 am
Hamsters cannot live outside!!

Makehumusnotwar

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 5:14 am
watergirl wrote:
Anything other than a pet rock MUST live inside a home with climate control. It is animal cruelty to keep a pet outside as it's main living space. I once knew a boy who had a whole set up for rabbits with underground burrows etc. which was "outside" but the outside was actually a massive indoor, climate controlled room with a glass ceiling and protected from the elements.

This!

Pets cannot live outside. Especially not cats! They may enjoy the outdoors but they need to be able to go inside when they want to. Anything else is animal cruelty.

OP if this is your criterion then please don't get a pet.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 5:42 am
If you can turn your porch into an aviary, then birds. But they must be birds that can survive outdoors in your climate.

We don't have pet birds, but we do have bird feeders, including this one that goes in our window: https://www.bestnest.com/bestn.....CLRVW
We go through a lot of birdseed but we love watching them and never have a vet bill!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 5:47 am
watergirl wrote:

I think rabbits are better off kept outside with space to move around. They like the outdoors & grass better than indoors.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:05 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I think rabbits are better off kept outside with space to move around. They like the outdoors & grass better than indoors.

A rabbit as a pet will soon be food for predators if they are not kept in some sort of safe environment like the one I described upthread. This is just one of many reasons, by the way, that many people feel rabbits are not appropriate as house pets.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:13 am
watergirl wrote:
A rabbit as a pet will soon be food for predators if they are not kept in some sort of safe environment like the one I described upthread. This is just one of many reasons, by the way, that many people feel rabbits are not appropriate as house pets.

You might be able to pull that off in a porch where a predator such as a fox or coyote could not force or chew their way in and the rabbits couldn't burrow out.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:26 am
watergirl wrote:

You can build them a shelter or large cage outside, not indoors. Whoever I know that has a rabbit, built them a cage/shelter outside. A rabbit is a farm animal and belongs outdoors.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:41 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
You build them a shelter or large cage outside, not indoors.

Ok... so you are saying the same thing I said basically. They need a shelter and protection from the environment and predators. You can not leave them in a cage on your porch or deck. They need to be protected.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:56 am
How about chickens? All they need is a safe yard, and a sturdy coop to go into at night. Bonus, free eggs!

If you live in a warm climate, and have a VERY securely fenced yard, you could get a couple of tortoises. Sulcatas are exceptionally hardy and easy to care for. https://www.thesprucepets.com/.....37267 they are extremely people friendly. Once they realize that people mean food, they will follow you all around the yard. They love to have their heads scratched, are easy to handle, and are very curious about their environment.

This YouTuber is the absolute expert on the subject:

You can also check his channel for info about Red Foots, Russians, and Hermanns.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets