Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What did you break the fast on?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 3:59 am
amother [ Dustypink ] wrote:
Siyum on motzei tisha B’Av? Dont know

Yes, it's a minhag. Making a siyum motsi tisha bav is actually lachter than making in the 9 days itself, but if you have two or three siyums you can save one for motsi and the rest for other times during the 9 days.
I think everyone eats motsi yom Kippur a sieuda so it's what you're used to, but motsi yom kippur people do feel holy and clean as opposed to tisha bav, so I guess that's different in terms of how you physically feel.

nursemom1

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:02 am
Petits pains aux chocolat- thank you Mishpacha and Barbara Bensousan! Also penne a la vodka and minestrone soup

professor

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:04 am
Just broke my fast now on an apple

SwissAlps

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:07 am
liveandlove.ima wrote:
while I don't know the science behind it but when you break a fast you must first drink since your body needs liquid more than anything else, that feeling is of a dryness. so if you drink at least 1 cup of water this should not happen. Your welcome!

I always break my fast on water, (like at least 2 cups) and it still happens. I guess my throat remains dry even after that.

liveandlove.ima

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:10 am
SwissAlps wrote:
I always break my fast on water, (like at least 2 cups) and it still happens. I guess my throat remains dry even after that.

perhaps youre dehydrate and you need more than 2 cups.
personally I've had this happening only when I forget to drink and go straight to the cookies n cake 🙈

Last edited by liveandlove.ima on Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Redbird

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:18 am
2 mini baguettes
Small bowl of soup
Quarter of a cheese Danish
water and coffee

Somehow I do better when I break my fast on barely anything. I was full. I had a few small cookies before bed at like 1:00am.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:57 am
amother [ Begonia ] wrote:
Yes, it's a minhag. Making a siyum motsi tisha bav is actually lachter than making in the 9 days itself, but if you have two or three siyums you can save one for motsi and the rest for other times during the 9 days.
I think everyone eats motsi yom Kippur a siyum so it's what you're used to, but motsi yom kippur people do feel holy and clean as opposed to tisha bav, so I guess that's different in terms of how you physically feel.

I have never heard of anyone making a siyum motzei yom kippur or making 2 or 3 siyums during the 9 days. Where do you live that this is so common you think everyone makes a siyum motzei yom kippur?

Back to OP - I broke my fast on water, then a piece of chocolate chip banana bread that I baked during the day, and then a bagel with lox and cream cheese and a small bowl of split pea soup (Kedem box mix that I doctored up by sautéing carrots, celery, and onions first for a long time and then I blended the whole soup after the peas melted).

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 5:08 am
watergirl wrote:
I have never heard of anyone making a siyum motzei yom kippur or making 2 or 3 siyums during the 9 days. Where do you live that this is so common you think everyone makes a siyum motzei yom kippur?

Back to OP - I broke my fast on water, then a piece of chocolate chip banana bread that I baked during the day, and then a bagel with lox and cream cheese and a small bowl of split pea soup (Kedem box mix that I doctored up by sautéing carrots, celery, and onions first for a long time and then I blended the whole soup after the peas melted).

I'm chassidish. Everyone I know makes a seuda motsi yom kippur (sorry siyum was a typo I edited). I wrote the word think in the previous post in case some communities don't do that, but I thought a seuda was standard, but am open to hearing it's not.

Nine days not everyone makes 2 or 3 siyums (or even 1), but many erliche rebbes made everyday or if someone has a grandparent that needs to eat felishigs for health they will make a schedule so that the children and grandchildren do siyums daily so the elderly grandparents can eat felishigs without feeling bad.

It's a big inyan to make a siyum in the 9 days, and if you have bocherim, they may make one night, and if you do that you can choose a different night for the father to make, if it comes out like that. My parents minhag is to make motsi tisha bav and they usually make another siyum one other day during the 9 days. Most of my brothers and brother in laws make one siyum during the 9 days. It's not some large party like I saw people speaking about here, it's a serious, real siyum just for immediate family because of the minhag and inyan to do during 9 days.

icebreaker

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 5:20 am
Soup and quiche

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 5:24 am
Chocolate Danish
Coffee
Orange Juice
Fresh bread
Tomato Soup

Little bits of all 😂

amother
Anemone

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 5:27 am
I'm chassidish. Everyone I know makes a seuda motsi yom kippur (sorry siyum was a typo I edited). I wrote the word think in the previous post in case some communities don't do that, but I thought a seuda was standard, but am open to hearing it's not.

Nine days not everyone makes 2 or 3 siyums (or even 1), but many erliche rebbes made everyday or if someone has a grandparent that needs to eat felishigs for health they will make a schedule so that the children and grandchildren do siyums daily so the elderly grandparents can eat felishigs without feeling bad.

It's a big inyan to make a siyum in the 9 days, and if you have bocherim, they may make one night, and if you do that you can choose a different night for the father to make, if it comes out like that. My parents minhag is to make motsi tisha bav and they usually make another siyum one other day during the 9 days. Most of my brothers and brother in laws make one siyum during the 9 days. It's not some large party like I saw people speaking about here, it's a serious, real siyum just for immediate family because of the minhag and inyan to do during 9 days.

I’m not chassidish and no one I know ears a seuda after Yom Kippur, we eat light food like eggs and bagels.

And most elderly people eat less meat than younger people for health reasons.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 5:54 am

Thanks for clarifying re: your type-o. I am also chassidish but I do not know anyone who has a fleishing seuda after Yom Kippur Smile

We must remember that the things we do during the 9 days are NOT halacha, and if someone has a health need, it MUST be seen to. That is the mitzvah. One who needs to eat meat for the iron or whatever is doing a mitzvah when they eat the meat. It is the opposite of a mitzvah to neglect your health. My husband loves to tell the story of Reb Zusha and Reb Elimelech who danced while in jail when Reb Zusha reminded Reb Elimelech, (who was crying because there was a chamber pot in the cell and therefor they could not daven) that by not davening at that moment, they are doing Hashem's will and therefor they were doing a mitzvah (See here for the whole story).

I've never gone to a siyum during the 9 days and it looks like for the next many years I will be, because last year my best friend lost her son and his yartzeit is during the 9 days. Our Breslov minhag is to make a siyum for the yartzeit and therefor a fleishig seuda. This year was the first time and I have to tell you, the meatballs were very hard to swallow. They were delicious, but very painful.

I want to be clear - I have zero objection to making a siyum during the 9 days. I do feel that it's almost to the point of silliness to plan out the learning schedule so conveniently as to have more than one. As I said before, if one has a need to eat meat, he or she should do so and know they are doing Hashem's will.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:27 am
2 cups of water and tried to wait a bit before trying anything else.
Then, some homemade bread, decaf coffee, a hearty soup, and spinach baked ziti.
Was a bit much.

justforfun87

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:30 am
By the end of the fast I was throwing up. Ate some watermelon and Pasta and then kept vomitting with an awful headache. I am a terrible faster. Sad

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:39 am
Pizza bagel
Chocolate leben
Red Gatorade
Cheese omelette
Tradition soup

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:39 am
I had
water
watermelon
sushi
warm chocolate pudding
slice of cake

Anon because I told people I was craving warm chocolate pudding and it's not a common food

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:46 am
Cinnamon buns and iced coffee. Then washed and had homemade onion bread with shakshouka. I also had on hand French onion soup and stuffed pasta shells, but was full and didn't partake of that.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:47 am
justforfun87 wrote:
By the end of the fast I was throwing up. Ate some watermelon and Pasta and then kept vomitting with an awful headache. I am a terrible faster. Sad

HUGS. This is my DD. I had an ice-cold ginger ale ready for her at the end of the fast - she sips that for a while till she gets some strength back, before eating.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:04 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
You ready?
You asked
I had a coffee with Caramel cheese cake and connolis. And then we had chocolate cheese muffins. And dairy barley soup. Then I had potatoes and sour cream. Then I almost threw up. Tada

Thank you!!!
What's with these half a cup of oj and some grapes posts???
I had:
3 cups of oj
Homemade foccacia
3 bowls soup.
Couldn't sleep bcz my stomach was so distended

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:12 am
watergirl wrote:
Thanks for clarifying re: your type-o. I am also chassidish but I do not know anyone who has a fleishing seuda after Yom Kippur Smile

We must remember that the things we do during the 9 days are NOT halacha, and if someone has a health need, it MUST be seen to. That is the mitzvah. One who needs to eat meat for the iron or whatever is doing a mitzvah when they eat the meat. It is the opposite of a mitzvah to neglect your health. My husband loves to tell the story of Reb Zusha and Reb Elimelech who danced while in jail when Reb Zusha reminded Reb Elimelech, (who was crying because there was a chamber pot in the cell and therefor they could not daven) that by not davening at that moment, they are doing Hashem's will and therefor they were doing a mitzvah (See here for the whole story).

I've never gone to a siyum during the 9 days and it looks like for the next many years I will be, because last year my best friend lost her son and his yartzeit is during the 9 days. Our Breslov minhag is to make a siyum for the yartzeit and therefor a fleishig seuda. This year was the first time and I have to tell you, the meatballs were very hard to swallow. They were delicious, but very painful.

I want to be clear - I have zero objection to making a siyum during the 9 days. I do feel that it's almost to the point of silliness to plan out the learning schedule so conveniently as to have more than one. As I said before, if one has a need to eat meat, he or she should do so and know they are doing Hashem's will.

I think this may be cultural. A siyum isn't something that occurs here once a year. There are different mesechtas that take difference amounts of time.. A bocher can be mesayem a mesechta every few months. My brother for example, learns every mesechta 7 times so the fifth time he learns it, it is faster and easier than the first. For yingerlait in Kollel, they are also mesayem mesechtas a few times a year depending on which. Even a working man who puts aside learning a few hours a day can be mesayem in a few months or half a year depending on how long or hard the mesechta is. We have siyums here not just in the 9 days. Also, a bochur can often be holding in the middle of a mesechta which he can be mesayem at any time or in a few days.

Also, making a siyum in the nine days is something that our rebbes really encouraged and our parents and grandparents were raised with. It is a huge inyan and brought down in chassides. For example, the Sanzer Ruv zy"u was makpid to have everyday a a siyum in the 9 days. The Satmar Ruv zy"u also tried to have everyday and even to give the boys in camp fleishigs. In the town of Siget they were makpid on motsi tisha bav and other days if other siyums happened. My father's dayan ztz"l also tried tried make a siyum every day in the nine days. These are big tzadikim who learned more than we can understand but the yesodos from making a siyum were given over to their chassidim and talmidi. Other chassidises were makpid only the first 5 days, etc. but it was considered a very big inyan.

It is brought down in a halucha sefer commenting on the shulchan urech that the heiliger Rizhiner once went away for tisha bav. On motsi he asked if anyone in the Town was making a siyum. He was told that not, so he sat down with his Talmidim and was mesayem a mesechta mishnayos (not even gemura) and then made a siyum motsi tisha bav.

I'm not a learned person and I don't understand lashon hakodesh, but I know this information because when my father makes a siyum during the 9 days and on motsi tisha bav he talks about the inyan, about learning Torah during our darkest times, about our heilige minhugim. It's not like a siyum is used as an "excuse to eat felishigs." No, just the opposite. It is a huge inyan and we are having the hashpuas from it. We're not on the level to have a siyum everyday like our rebbes but we do when we can and also other times throughout the year.

That being said, other people have their own rabonim and minhugim and should follow that but it doesn't mean something is wrong with mine chv.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note