Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Keep Getting Rejections

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:12 pm
I am a little depressed.

I have gotten some rejections for jobs in the past couple weeks. It’s beginning to wear on me.
My last position was a temporary one and I was looking forward a permanent one, now that Covid seems to be under control.
I have a degree, plenty of experience. I don’t understand why this is happening to me!
I am staying anonymous because I am so embarrassed. Sad

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:18 pm
That's so painful!

As for practical suggestions - are you getting rejected before or after the interview?
If before - maybe you need to spruce up your resume. If its after you've met them, can you ask for feedback from the interviewer? Maybe you're asking for too high/low salary? What's the market like for someone with your degree/experience?

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:08 pm
I'm sorry to hear that Sad
I found the job search after getting my RN very stressful. I looked unsuccessfully for 6 months and then went for my masters. Like you I felt a lot of shame especially since many of my classmates found jobs right away without a problem. B"H I had a much easier time finding a job the second time around with my master's. All Hashem's plan.
During the job search I heard many unhelpful comments from people about why I was unsuccessful. (Like I was overweight, or too quiet, or came across as "low energy.") These comments were very hurtful to me during a time when I was already feeling low and discouraged.
So, there's a fine line between trying to critique your performance (is there a way I could improve my interview skills) versus making you feel worse than you already do.
I had to keep focusing on the positives (I was a great student with top grades, I am hardworking, I am dedicated) and not take the negative comments too personally. I really had to work on myself because that was a very difficult period in my life.
In the end I realized that I was on the journey that Hashem wanted for me. I was hired for exactly the right jobs that I needed at the time. And the fact that I struggled in the beginning makes me appreciate all the more everything I have. And I don't take credit for myself or feel bigger than others who are struggling.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:49 pm
I'm not sure what field you are in, some markets are more flooded than others. Do you customize your cover letter for each job? Taking the time to read their job description and write a letter stating why you are the best qualified goes a long way. They get tons of resumes and may only glance briefly at each one. It's important to outline why you're a good fit in a clear way that's easy to read.

amother
Bellflower

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 5:52 pm
Rejection is redirection. No one gets to put you down or disqualify you. Work on your true self esteem. I'm going through the same right now and while rejection does hurt, the more I internalise the message of my intrinsic value, the stronger and more resilient I become.

Furthermore, each step of the journey holds value. There's a reason you had that conversation, you made it to that interview, that add caught your attention, etc;. there's something in it for you.

Finally, reflect back to a time when you landed that perfect job (I can think of a few examples, where my job was a perfect fit for me then) and remember the same Hashem is now orchestrating your path too, though seemingly in disguise.

Hopefully very soon the right job will come through for you! And me ;-)

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:25 pm
I have been in that situation for over a year and it's so so painful, I even spiraled into a horrible depression. Btw, it doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. There are many reasons why a particular job doesn't pan out. It still hurts though. I've heard people compare it to shidduchim and I can see why.

One thing that helped, look into local Jewish organizations such as a JCC or JBFCS. They often have job search courses, and even if you think you know everything there is to know about resumes and interviews and networking, you never know what new thing you might learn than can help. And also, the people who run these programs will often do some one on one with you, hook you up with opportunities that might not be publicly listed, and keep you accountable to applying to more positions. Definitely look into it, the job I got after that miserable yearlong search was because the JCC social worker I was working with knew the assistant director of the organization and went to bat for me.

ora_43

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 2:23 pm
I don't know if this will be cheering or depressing, but some rejections for a couple weeks (!!) is nothing.

I know talented, successful people who applied to 100+ jobs before finding one that worked out. People with experience and an excellent track record who waited 6 months before finding a job. I know someone who graduated with honors from both Stanford and Yale; they've applied to many jobs that haven't worked out.

So on the one hand, it could be this is going to keep happening for a while.

But on the other hand, it is very very very normal. It says nothing about you as an employee, let alone as a person. And there is nothing to be embarrassed about. Applying to a job isn't like a test you're taking, where not getting the job = failure. Applying to a job is like rolling a 100-sided dice and waiting for your number to come up.

Most decent jobs have a lot of applicants. Even entry-level jobs, even in the frum community. Honestly, speaking from experience here - if you're able to get a job very easily, that's usually not a good sign. No matter how skilled you are they should at least want to see your resume and conduct an interview or two.

Go ahead and work on things like emphasizing your accomplishments on your resume, personalizing your resume and cover letter, working on interview skills, whatever. But also, realize that even the most skilled people don't get offered all the jobs. Or even half of the jobs.

Fortunately, you only need the one job. Iy'H something good will come your way soon, and you'll be glad in the end that you didn't get the other jobs and were free to take that one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics