Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Ben & Jerry’s Joins BDS Boycott of Israel

Mevater

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:28 pm
The legendary Ben & Jerry’s ice cream company – whose product is produced and sold in Israel as well – has joined the BDS (boycott, divest & sanction) economic war on the Jewish State and issued a statement saying it will no longer sell its product in the “Occupied Palestinian Territory.”

The company announced Monday, July 19, that its management believes “it is inconsistent with our values for Ben & Jerry’s ice cream to be sold in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (OPT). We also hear and recognize the concerns shared with us by our fans and trusted partners,” the company claimed in a statement on its website.....

https://www.jewishpress.com/ne.....7/19/

exaustedmom

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:39 pm
It is inconsistent with MY values to buy Ben and Jerrys ice cream

Mevater

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:40 pm
exaustedmom wrote:

#metoo

Im wondering if they think that they have more Muslim customers who would be upset that theyre not pro-BDS, or more Jewish/Israeli customers who will be upset that they are pro BDS (worldwide).

At the end of the day its all moolah usually.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:48 pm
This makes me sad on so many levels. Sad Mad Sad Mad Sad I love the flavor that has the toffee pieces in it.

If they are going to stop selling in Israel, is it OK if I buy it now? The makolet has already paid for it and stocked it, so that's done and done. I love supporting my local makolet, and wouldn't want them to lose money on stock they already have.

I could stock up on my favorite flavors, but not buy anything new - if any new Ben and Jerry's would be coming in at all.

If it's not, I'm going to have to buy plain vanilla from a local company, and then add in my own flavorings. Doable, but not as convenient.

Oh, another thought. Does this mean that Palestinians won't be able to buy the ice cream either? If they can, do they have to show a card to prove where they live, and that they are not Jewish?

Can we organize a bus to go to Ramallah to buy ice cream? (just kidding)

I have so many questions... Scratching Head

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:53 pm
There's a thread about this already:

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....36969

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 3:00 pm
exaustedmom wrote:

And it will now be inconsistent with mine as well. Thank you OP for making me aware.

juggling

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:01 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
This makes me sad on so many levels. Sad Mad Sad Mad Sad I love the flavor that has the toffee pieces in it.

If they are going to stop selling in Israel, is it OK if I buy it now? The makolet has already paid for it and stocked it, so that's done and done. I love supporting my local makolet, and wouldn't want them to lose money on stock they already have.

I could stock up on my favorite flavors, but not buy anything new - if any new Ben and Jerry's would be coming in at all.

If it's not, I'm going to have to buy plain vanilla from a local company, and then add in my own flavorings. Doable, but not as convenient.

Oh, another thought. Does this mean that Palestinians won't be able to buy the ice cream either? If they can, do they have to show a card to prove where they live, and that they are not Jewish?

Can we organize a bus to go to Ramallah to buy ice cream? (just kidding)

I have so many questions... Scratching Head

Please continue to purchase, as long as it's being produced locally. The local company is still under contract for the next year and a half, nothing is changing before their contract is up. They are the good guys here, who just lost their contract in the name of BDS.

Grandma 1

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 5:10 pm
exaustedmom wrote:

I followed the link on the other thread about Ben & Jerry’s, to contact them, and express those same sentiments.
Wrote that my family, and hopefully many other kosher consumers in the U.S., who purchased and enjoyed their dairy and non dairy products will look to other brands that don’t go against “our” values.

BatyaEsther

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 5:30 pm
Trying, abet unsuccessfully to post our local supermarkets adds in response:

Attention Customers due to the recent statement published by Ben & Jerry’s We will no longer be carrying their brand. Effective immediately. WE STAND WITH ISRAEL -Cedar Market

Due to the recent actions by Ben and Jerry’s, Glatt Express will no longer be carrying Ben and Jerry’s products. Am Yisrael Chai.

Grandma 1

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 5:59 pm
BatyaEsther wrote:
Trying, abet unsuccessfully to post our local supermarkets adds in response:

Attention Customers due to the recent statement published by Ben & Jerry’s We will no longer be carrying their brand. Effective immediately. WE STAND WITH ISRAEL -Cedar Market

Due to the recent actions by Ben and Jerry’s, Glatt Express will no longer be carrying Ben and Jerry’s products. Am Yisrael Chai.

Good for them! Hope other supermarkets - kosher & non kosher - follow suit.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:02 pm
juggling wrote:
Please continue to purchase, as long as it's being produced locally. The local company is still under contract for the next year and a half, nothing is changing before their contract is up. They are the good guys here, who just lost their contract in the name of BDS.

I'm gonna need a bigger freezer.

Hopefully a year and a half from now, B&J will have come to their senses.

(Or Moshiach will be here, IYH soon and in our days.)

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:08 pm
DH just suggested that we petition the kashrut agency that certifies Ben & Jerry's to pull their hashgacha.

BatyaEsther

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:18 pm
Juggling wrote:

That specifically pertains to in EY, not to Ben and Jerry’s in galus.
If you are in the US, please do not purchase.

juggling

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 12:29 am
BatyaEsther wrote:
That specifically pertains to in EY, not to Ben and Jerry’s in galus.
If you are in the US, please do not purchase.

Whoops, sorry. Of course that's what I meant. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Luckily at least in America there are plenty of other good ice cream brands. In Israel, not so much.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 9:33 am
juggling wrote:
Whoops, sorry. Of course that's what I meant. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Luckily at least in America there are plenty of other good ice cream brands. In Israel, not so much.

Yep, you guys get Häagen-Dazs. I would gladly trade, as they are pretty interchangeable.

Mevater

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 9:41 am

bigsis144

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 9:50 am
Rutabaga wrote:
DH just suggested that we petition the kashrut agency that certifies Ben & Jerry's to pull their hashgacha.

I don’t think halacha/hashgacha and politics should mix.

https://forward.com/opinion/47.....w3N54

Quote:
These calls trouble me. Kashrut agencies should be making decisions based on Jewish law, not on politics. It is their responsibility to focus on the ingredients that go into products and the processes by which they are manufactured, not where the companies choose to distribute those products — although we know that’s not always been the case. The Orthodox community generally gets upset when local (or national) kashrut organizations make rulings on businesses that have nothing to do with the food or ingredients. We have seen countless cases of this recently, including a certification agency requiring a restaurant to change its “scandalous” name; pushback against having televisions in a restaurant, or serving alcohol, or even having tables and chairs in a kosher pizzeria.

Kashrut organizations should be in the business of deciding what products and restaurants are kosher. It is a slippery slope for kosher certifications to be invalidated based on public pressure, especially when that pressure has nothing to do with food.

simcha2

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 9:53 am
bigsis144 wrote:
I don’t think halacha/hashgacha and politics should mix.

I strongly agree. Remember when the KCL pulled their hashgacha from a restaurant because they flew an Israeli flag?

(I guess that was BDS by the KCL, so we should stop holding by them).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics