Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Hebrew equivalent for the name Masha?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 1:22 pm
sequoia wrote:
You all are completely insane.

I happen to go by Masha, because I’m used to it. But most Jewish Marias go by Manya! It was much more prevalent in Russian Jewish culture for Maria to be nicknamed Manya than Masha or any other nickname.

For example, Manya Feigel from Alexandra Brushtein’s “The Road Runs Into the Distance” or the eponymous Manya Schatz from Narineh Abgaryan’s “Manyunya.”

Yes, Maria is derived from Miriam (obviously, because the New Testament is a Greek text *about* Jews). But that doesn’t mean that every Maria is named after a Miriam. I’m named after my great-grandma Malka Tauba. Indeed I think Malka was more common in the shtetl than Miriam.

As for the idea that Masha is somehow connected to Moshe... yeah, ok. Whoever came up with that had no idea what they were talking about. Masha is one of the many possible nicknames for Maria, just like Katherine could go by Kathy, Kate, or Kat.

Well what are we gonna do with all the non-Jewish Manyas?
And what does it have to do with OPs question specifically about Masha?

sequoia

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 1:30 pm
amother [ Cantaloupe ] wrote:

Anyone can choose whatever nickname they like. I have a non-Jewish friend who goes by Manya here in Kyiv; in fact, that’s how people tell us apart.

The OP’s question has a simple answer: Masha is short for Maria. It’s not a separate name.

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 2:51 pm
Lol I didn't realize the name Masha was such a minefield Very Happy
I know for a fact that the Masha I'm thinking of was named for a Moshe but I was hoping for a Hebrew equivalent with the same meaning, like Golda/Zahava. Looks like there isn't really one besides for a tenuous connection to Miriam.
Thanks everyone for taking part in this debate! LOL

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 3:32 pm
sequoia wrote:
You all are completely insane.

I happen to go by Masha, because I’m used to it. But most Jewish Marias go by Manya! It was much more prevalent in Russian Jewish culture for Maria to be nicknamed Manya than Masha or any other nickname.

For example, Manya Feigel from Alexandra Brushtein’s “The Road Runs Into the Distance” or the eponymous Manya Schatz from Narineh Abgaryan’s “Manyunya.”

Yes, Maria is derived from Miriam (obviously, because the New Testament is a Greek text *about* Jews). But that doesn’t mean that every Maria is named after a Miriam. I’m named after my great-grandma Malka Tauba. Indeed I think Malka was more common in the shtetl than Miriam.

As for the idea that Masha is somehow connected to Moshe... yeah, ok. Whoever came up with that had no idea what they were talking about. Masha is one of the many possible nicknames for Maria, just like Katherine could go by Kathy, Kate, or Kat.

In Israeli Zionist folklore we face Manya Shochet - who established the Shomer organization and was one of the first Hebrew watchgaurds of the second Aliyah. She was a very interesting woman.

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 6:10 pm
My mother’s name is Masha - she was named after a Moshe.

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 1:51 pm
My aunt's name was Manyu, her real name was Miriam. And she was born in Hungary, not Russia.

egam

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:36 pm
amother [ Cantaloupe ] wrote:

I've never met non-Jewish Manyas. That's not to say that they don't exist.

My grandmother's sister was Manya. My grandfather's sister was Musya. Both had Maria as their official names which doesn't mean anything.

amother
Daffodil

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:22 pm
Miriam or Maayan.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names