Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What is the first thing I should pack

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:41 pm
I'm moving in a few weeks and I didn't start packing because I'm clueless. Just an apartment so not so worried that I'm late. But what order should I pack in? I can't pack my dishes now... Thank you!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:43 pm
First goes out of season clothes (winter clothes), coats, boots. Then seforim that aren't being used daily. Serving pieces you rarely use. Toys that the kids don't play with often enough.

Aurora

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:44 pm
Passover equipment. Otherwise, the out of season stuff.

scintilla

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:44 pm
I'm in the same boat and started with sefarim, now I'm doing things that I store away anyhow. Soon I'll set aside 2 weeks worth of clothes and pack everything else (that stuff I'll pack in suitcases). Not sure how to do the kitchen though!!

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:46 pm
chayaemee wrote:
I'm in the same boat and started with sefarim, now I'm doing things that I store away anyhow. Soon I'll set aside 2 weeks worth of clothes and pack everything else (that stuff I'll pack in suitcases). Not sure how to do the kitchen though!!

Pack the dishes in bubble wrap in smaller boxes.
The silver should be packed in bubble wrap as well, but can be in a regular size box.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:47 pm
I pack everything I'm not using. Starting with sefarim is easy. Leave out the few that get used daily. Then do clothing and shoes that aren't worn daily. Move on to serving dishes and those kind of things. Closer to the move fill a cabinet with the must have kitchen stuff for basics and pack everything else. Last minute pack those kitchen stuff.

lfab

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:49 pm
Start with the things you don't need on a daily basis like books, seforim, pictures/wall decor, any out of season items (pesach dishes, succah decorations...) extra linens and towels, most of kids toys (just leave out a few for them for the next few weeks). Move on to dishes by packing the ones you use less often like shabbos China (and just use regular weekday or paper for the last few weeks), baking pans, serving bowls etc.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 10:03 pm
Definitely start packing. Stack boxes high in the basement, or against a wall of the dining room. It's always a much bigger job than you think it will be and slow and steady wins the race.

Start with nonessentials like extra books and sefarim, nicer dishes and China closet items, clothes in storage.

Whatever you're not ready to pack yet, do the sorting now. I can stress this enough.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 10:21 pm
Thank you so much everyone!! I should pack clothes in suitcases, right?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 10:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I would pack the clothes in boxes.
And the movers should give you cardboard wardrobes for the hanging stuff. You just slide then off the rod and onto the cardboard wardrobe.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 10:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Ask your movers ahead of time if they will provide wardrobe boxes. This way you can leave all your hanging items as is and they will transfer it all to the hanging boxes, and then to the new closets when you get there.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 10:36 pm
Good idea, thank you!

essie14

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 3:00 am
Start using disposables and pack as many dishes and pots as you can. Leave out just a few essentials.
pare down wardrobes and pack the rest.

Moonlight

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 3:11 am
If you can afford it, see if the moving company will pack for you. It saves soooooo much time and STRESS and they are so experienced and quick

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 5:26 am
Moonlight wrote:
If you can afford it, see if the moving company will pack for you. It saves soooooo much time and STRESS and they are so experienced and quick

We didn't want to pay to have them pack everything, but we did splurge on having them do the kitchen since that's the hardest in terms of everything needing wrapping etc.

English3

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 5:34 am
Just a small tip.I packed a few days worth of clothes and essentials in a separate suitcase to have when arriving. This included pjs bed linen bottles etc
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating