Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Writing about a person who might recognize herself
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 12:27 am
Scotty wrote:
I once had an author call to "confirm some details" about a story that happened to my grandfather that I had published and she was rewriting for her own book, which was going to print that week - without asking permission whatsoever. I was gobsmacked but too embarrassed to point out how rude she was being, especially since in the past I'd enjoyed her work. Never mind me, she should have asked my grandfather's permission (or at the very least given her work to him to approve first)! Every time I read her work now I get a bad feeling in my stomach. I'm still not sure how to feel, but try to remind myself that certainly she did not mean to be malicious, and she probably meant it as a compliment.

If it didn't happen to you, might I respectfully suggest you get ironclad permission from the subject in question?

Once you had published it it was a public story.

Why would she think you wouldn't want it told?

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scotty

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 3:44 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
Once you had published it it was a public story.

Why would she think you wouldn't want it told?

Because in using another’s work (either by quoting it directly or basing your work on another’s original work), you need to request permission first, at least according to USA copyright law - usually written from the author or publisher, unless “quoted briefly in review” (of the original work). Common courtesy (and the law) dictate that you either

1. Quote directly from the original work, with proper attributions immediately following or footnoted

Or

2. Ask for written permission of the author to create a new work based on the original.

It would not be legal for someone to, say, *retell* an anecdote from “All For the Boss” in their own words (rewrite, not refer to the incident briefly in passing within one’s own work) and publish it without either written permission from the original publisher and/or Reb. Ruchoma Shain’s estate.

You WOULD be able to tell your friend or Bnos group the story in your own words, of course. (Though Jewish Halacha tells us that even then proper attribution is necessary and praiseworthy, which is why you often hear speakers say, “I heard the following story from so-and-so, who told it to me during xyz…”)
Publication confers upon the reader the right to enjoy the work and discuss it, but not to retell it in a format that will be sold/attributable under their own name.

Okay now I’m doubting if my retelling of THIS anecdote is fair. What if Imamothers read that book and now know the backstory? 🤣 I’m gonna edit to obscure some details so as not to infringe on anyone’s privacy…

Last edited by Scotty on Tue, Jul 20 2021, 3:56 am; edited 3 times in total

Scotty

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 3:49 am
Duplicate post sorry

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 6:21 am
My friend found the story of her father’s life printed in a book a number of years ago. Her father had a unique life. The thing was…that family members were upset with him for many things he did while the book built him up to be a hero. She was very disappointed that no one contacted them to ask for permission or clarify details before publishing the story.

ssspectacular

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 6:33 am
Simple rule: If someone may be hurt, skip it.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room