Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Crazy pre-flight jitters

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 5:06 am
I didn't know if this should go here or under mental health, but I get severely anxious before a flight and it's somewhat debilitating. I've had to fly several times recently for various reasons, and I shut down a few days before. I'm there now, and I feel so bad about it, because I'm at the point where I can't really clean my house. It's almost like I'm psychologically preserving my energy. Soon I will not be able to cook or work, or sleep the night before, but I'm hoping Sad I also start to think negative thoughts.

oh, and once I get on the plane, I'm usually fine.

Does anyone else deal with this?

English3

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 5:10 am
It called rieze fever in Yiddish. It normal to have the jitters but it shouldn't paralyze you. I would take a deep breath in and say "I am so excited to travel but now I need to do xyz" I would then listen to a hot line to distract myself.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 8:37 am
Rescue remedy saves me! I take it 4 times a day the week before I fly so I can be semi normal.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 1:19 pm
Thanks for the posts. I wish I could just tell myself I'm excited!

I never thought about Rescue Remedy, that's a thought. I wonder if I can get it in RBS, anyone know?

amother
Bluebell

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 1:22 pm
Cbd oil works well for this too

amother
Moonstone

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 7:40 pm
Xanax worked for me. Got the lowest dose.
My husband goes crazy that for few days before cuz I’m a complete zombie. I wish I can find some sort of hypnosis therapy that can help me.

momaleh

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 5:16 am
Thanks for the ideas!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 5:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the posts. I wish I could just tell myself I'm excited!

I never thought about Rescue Remedy, that's a thought. I wonder if I can get it in RBS, anyone know?

Superpharm carries it. It's right next to the vitamins.

I wish CBD oil was easier to get here. It's stupid that it's so tightly regulated, but I can get a prescription for opiates.

Can you say why you are afraid of flying? Is it a fear of crashing, the vibrations of the plane, worries about turbulence, claustrophobia, or something else? Maybe we can help you get some visualizations or meditations you help calm your mind.

(When DD was little, were were in line to board an airplane, and she says "I hope the plane goes bumpy-bumpy in the air!" Everyone in line turned around and was like Surprised "Please no, CVS!!!" That's what happens when you teach your kid not to be afraid of turbulence. She's sensory seeking, and everything for her was one big adventure.)

First Lady

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 6:06 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Superpharm carries it. It's right next to the vitamins.

I wish CBD oil was easier to get here. It's stupid that it's so tightly regulated, but I can get a prescription for opiates.

Can you say why you are afraid of flying? Is it a fear of crashing, the vibrations of the plane, worries about turbulence, claustrophobia, or something else? Maybe we can help you get some visualizations or meditations you help calm your mind.

(When DD was little, were were in line to board an airplane, and she says "I hope the plane goes bumpy-bumpy in the air!" Everyone in line turned around and was like Surprised "Please no, CVS!!!" That's what happens when you teach your kid not to be afraid of turbulence. She's sensory seeking, and everything for her was one big adventure.)

LOL LOL LOL oh my gosh that's too cute and funny. I'd probably be one of those people in the line thinking "no way!!".

OP, if you specifically have a fear of flying there's a book called Soar that I would recommend. It's written by a pilot who is also a therapist or something like that. He also has a course called Fear of Flying which is supposed to be really good.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 6:30 am
Thanks. The truth is I'm not sure what causes the anxiety. I think it's more getting everything done beforehand, for some reason that makes be anxious.

Also, trauma about how it will go flying with kids. I've been screamed at too many times, had to hold a crying baby for hours...even though now I don't have a baby, I'm so scarred Sad

But it's NOT fear of flying, although as I get older that plays into it also.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 7:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. The truth is I'm not sure what causes the anxiety. I think it's more getting everything done beforehand, for some reason that makes be anxious.

Also, trauma about how it will go flying with kids. I've been screamed at too many times, had to hold a crying baby for hours...even though now I don't have a baby, I'm so scarred Sad

But it's NOT fear of flying, although as I get older that plays into it also.

Oh, I hear you about packing anxiety! I'm always afraid I'm going to forget something super important. The first time I went to Israel, I packed a MONTH in advance! By the time it was closer to departure, the weather had changed completely and I had to pack all new clothes. LOL

I learned that packing lists can be a life saver, because once it's in the suitcase and checked off, you can relax about that item. There are tons of good lists you can print out online, and just keep handy to make sure everything is b'seder.

As for the kids, it's possible that your tension and anxiety are making them fussy and nervous. Try to fake having a great time. Make it a fun adventure. Fake being excited about everything. "Isn't this GREAT?"

How do you think I got DD to enjoy turbulence? I never let her know that I was scared out of my mind and davening quietly. She's been an amazing little traveler, because I only point out all the fun stuff, and make it super cool.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 1:39 pm
Thanks FranticFrummie, lists help a lot. Not sure how well I can fake it...

leaf

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 4:31 pm
Packing is definitely stressful. A few yrs ago I created a chart on the computer with a column for each family member that I needed to pack for and a row for each of the following categories: Carry-on, Undergarments and pajamas:
Wkdy Clothing:
Sh. Clothing:
Toiletries and Medications:
Other (games, paperwork, electronics, siddurim, etc.

Now whenever I need to pack, I print out the chart and then fill in in pencil whatever needs to be packed. Also, when I pack I don't pack in order, so if I forgot to put something on the list, I am likely to come across it while packing.
Hatzlacha! beh in a few days you will be packed and on your way!

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 11:13 pm
I totally get that - I call it anticipatory anxiety. I get frozen with anxiety before the event even though I will iyH be ok during the event itself.
I feel you. It’s so hard.

Ans yes I get packing anxiety too.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 8:39 am
did you find rescue remedy in rbs?
FF - will it help if my flight is tomorrow morning?
I am a nervous wreck. and I'm flying with 7 kids.
I know intellectually its going to be ok, but my heart is racing the whole takeoff, and I'm worrying and checking the altitude and speed the whole time (as if that would help anything).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics