Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How does one get paid from poshmark?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 10:16 am
Bouight some clothing that I can't return- would love not to lose money on the items. Is Poshmark as easy as it looks. Is there something hidden that I am not seeing? Can customers return items or everything is sold as is? How would I get paid?

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 10:27 am
I've been clearing out my closet through Poshmark over the past year. You get paid through linking your bank account and then it gets direct deposited. It's supposed to be nonrefundable, but customers can initiate a return appeal IF you misrepresented something. For example, if there was a hole, stain, or pilling that you didn't disclose, or you listed it as the wrong size. Otherwise they can't return just because they didn't like it.

The catch is that Poshmark takes 20% so if you sell something for $100 you will only get $80. Also it's pretty expected that people will make offers, so if you list something for $100, people will offer let's say $75 and you can choose to accept that or not. The other catch is that you're more likely to sell something if you're constantly "sharing" your items which can get annoying. By "sharing" it bumps it to the top of the search results.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 10:34 am
Icedcoffee, I’ve been posting but my items aren’t selling. Do I need to lower the price? Or wait?

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 10:38 am
I have been selling on Poshmark for a few years. It is super easy and I like it better than the other platforms. However, the 20 percent selling fee is really high.
You can try Mercari, they only take 10 percent.

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 10:39 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Icedcoffee, I’ve been posting but my items aren’t selling. Do I need to lower the price? Or wait?

Are they name brands?
Check how your prices compare to similar items on the platform.
Keep on sharing.

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:00 am
allthingsblue wrote:

A few things:
Check your prices by searching for previously sold listings. It will give you an idea of what people are willing to pay for that item. It's hard for me sometimes to admit that a shirt I really loved isn't going for more than $10, but that's what's realistic.

As I mentioned, always share your items. If it's been listed for more than 60 days, you can also relist it (go to "copy listing," remove "copy" from the new title, and delete the old one). That bumps it to the top of the "just in" feed so it's more likely people will see it.

If someone likes your item, send an offer! Most things I sell are by sending offers to people.

You can also try posting it to ebay and Mercari.

I learned that good pictures are really important. I was taking a lot of shadowy/dark images without putting a lot of thought into it. Then I redid them in bright light, got the wrinkles out, and made it look overall more appealing, and it got a lot more interest. I asked myself if I saw this picture, would I be actually enticed to buy it? And sometimes the answer was no, so I redid it.

Good luck! Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to anything. I had a $425 designer dress listed for $50 for an entire year with zero interest before finally I managed to sell it for a whopping $40. Other times I've listed a random old tank top that sold within a week.

blueberry6

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:10 am
Just to clarify - you can sell used stuff as long as it's in good condition? It doesn't have to be new, never-worn?

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:13 am
blueberry6 wrote:
Just to clarify - you can sell used stuff as long as it's in good condition? It doesn't have to be new, never-worn?

Yes, just make sure to mark at as used and clearly describe the condition.

blueberry6

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:19 am
Thanks!

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:32 am
Thanks!
Icedcoffee, when you make an offer to likers, how much lower than the original price you listed do you go?

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:37 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Thanks!
Icedcoffee, when you make an offer to likers, how much lower than the original price you listed do you go?

Usually as soon as someone likes something, I send an offer for 10-15% off with free shipping. After a few days or weeks maybe I'll send 30% off. Sometimes I have a number in mind for how low I'm willing to go, and if no one accepts after I've sent that offer, I delete it and relist it to start over again -- no point in keeping a bunch of likers who aren't interested.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:39 am
icedcoffee wrote:
Usually as soon as someone likes something, I send an offer for 10-15% off with free shipping. After a few days or weeks maybe I'll send 30% off. Sometimes I have a number in mind for how low I'm willing to go, and if no one accepts after I've sent that offer, I delete it and relist it to start over again -- no point in keeping a bunch of likers who aren't interested.

That’s nice of you! Free shipping is a pretty big expense, no? $7.95
Maybe it’s because most of my items are not officially worth more than $16-20 so it wouldn’t be worth it to me to offer free shipping.

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:56 am
It really depends on the item! For things more in the $40-50 range, I price it with the intention of offering free shipping. You're right for lower price stuff it might not be worth it -- I just think a lot of people hate paying shipping and get excited at free shipping, so I try to do it when possible. Another thing you can try doing for lower items is bundling them together, like make a listing for 3 shirts at $25 or whatever, and mention in the description you're willing to split up separately too.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:58 am
icedcoffee wrote:
It really depends on the item! For things more in the $40-50 range, I price it with the intention of offering free shipping. You're right for lower price stuff it might not be worth it -- I just think a lot of people hate paying shipping and get excited at free shipping, so I try to do it when possible. Another thing you can try doing for lower items is bundling them together, like make a listing for 3 shirts at $25 or whatever, and mention in the description you're willing to split up separately too.

That’s a good idea. Have to spend time on it.

kenz

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 12:18 pm
How is it worth it to be busy with the listings and then having to ship everything, which takes time and $? Truly curious because I have a bunch of stuff I’d like to sell but can’t see it being worth all the effort for the few dollars you make.

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 1:31 pm
Good question! I've made about $2,500 casually selling stuff out of my own closet on various sites over 2 years or so. It's not life-changing, but I like the idea of trading up so it pretty much pays for all my new, better clothes. I live 1 block away from the post office so it takes 5 minutes for me to run out and throw something in there. If it was a big shlep, I'd probably feel differently. Or if I had kids yet and more responsibilities.

kenz

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 1:38 pm
Thanks for responding! I have a bunch of pocketbooks in very good condition and shoes in new condition but I imagine then the shipping is more too. Do you think it's worth trying to sell or better to just donate (and maybe get a tax write-off)?

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 2:13 pm
Poshmark actually has a pretty good shipping policy. The $7.95 (which the buyer pays, unless you want to offer free shipping) covers up to 5 lbs. I would recommend looking at "sold" listings for similar bags/shoes to see how much they're going for! You can also try ebay or mercari where you might have better luck. You can always try having them listed for a few weeks and if no one bites, then donate.

kenz

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 2:15 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
Poshmark actually has a pretty good shipping policy. The $7.95 (which the buyer pays, unless you want to offer free shipping) covers up to 5 lbs. I would recommend looking at "sold" listings for similar bags/shoes to see how much they're going for! You can also try ebay or mercari where you might have better luck. You can always try having them listed for a few weeks and if no one bites, then donate.

Thanks! I've done ebay in the (long ago) past and I always found the shipping process to be a big pain in the neck, but maybe now I'll try again. I think if I could do a bunch of stuff at once I wouldn't mind, but you never know when something will sell and buyers do want their stuff as soon as possible...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics