Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Intuitive Eating vs OA

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 3:59 am
Hi
Does anyone have experience deciding which way to go?
Thank you

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 8:26 am
According to a dietician friend of mine who specializes in IE, it is probably better for people without serious weight issues. I know that personally I’ve seen a lot of bad advice related to IE, so even if you choose it, important to be smart about it. Mindfulness is important no matter what way of eating you choose but I am wary of any program that judges you if you don’t eat specific things. Sometimes for sanity one needs to eat certain things.

Oa is a 12 step program and there Are many different food plans people use. I was never successful in oa bc my food plans always had too many carbs for me but the 12step part, the actual steps were a real gift.

I had sponsor problems and really she hurt me more than anyone ever in my life but all these years later I’m still friends with many oa friends and I realize that once I found the right way of eating for myself I was open to what happened bc of oa.

amother
Broom

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 9:22 am
Intuitive eating is not a weight loss diet. if you want to lose weight you might not lose on intuitive eating, and some people even gain. OA is a weight lose plan. You have to decide if your ok with being on a diet for life, or rather find a way of eating that feels good for you and stop focusing on your weight.

amother
Pear

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 9:54 am
I think you have pretty much set up eating programs that are at opposite ends of the continuum.

I think both approaches have validity but as someone who has struggled with weight all her life, neither approach is 100% what works for me.

Mindfulness as Andrea Levy - or intuitive eating - is something most people should incorporate. I am old enough so that I encountered the first wave of this with Susie Orbach - google her if you are interested.

But for myself, I need more of a structure to be successful in losing and maintaining weight. I do understand the OA philosophy and I think support of some kind is helpful for almost everyone. I also do agree that to some extent there are foods that are triggers and that often the best way to deal with trigger foods is to to have them in one's environment so that one isn't faced with them all the time. For example, there is a difference between NEVER having a cookie (abstinence) and not buying cookies to have in the pantry. I would (for example) buy one fabulous cookie and bring it home to savor.

What I found most helpful was working one on one with a psychologist who was also very knowledgable in nutrition as she specialized in eating disorders. We set up an eating program that worked for me. We set up ways of coping with my particular issues and obstacles - some were long term and some were short term like how to handle a vacation or a party or a holiday where I would have to be out of my routine. And obviously she made me accountable in a way that wasn't judgmental - only that I knew that at least once a week I would be speaking to my "partner" - often that would stop me from going over the edge. I had internalized wanting to lose weight so it wasn't as if this was a judgment from out of myself but it is very easy to justify eating something "because" and then the rest of the day continue and then continue for the rest of the week LOL

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:01 am
Both lol. Intuitive eating once you’ve addressed your food addictions. The nature of addiction is that it makes you over ride your natural cues. I’m just not so into OA model of addiction. I believe it’s less emotional, more biological and neurological.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise